Odium174

The Player Type Analysis

The Player Type Analysis

From my experience, all 3 and a half years I have been on LOTC, there are two types of players. There are Public players, and there are Private players. I name them this because Public players are almost always more active on the forums, in-game chat, discord, etc. Private players are more likely alone or in small groups and are not nearly as active. These two types of players have very different characteristics, and quite a few people have at one time or another been both.

Public players tend to be…

• Community/Nation leaders

• People who join communities often

• Friendly and generally helpful

• Able to shrug off things that happen to their characters

• Working to help their group

• Able to separate the character from the person

• Open people

• Accepting of everyone

• Why people stay online and join groups

• Responsible with power

• Average or upstanding characters

• Many other things

Private players tend to be…

• Leaders of small and unofficial gangs

• Reclusive people

• People who ignore others or are an active hindrance

• Take what happens to their characters personally

• Self-promoting

• Unable to distinguish a player doing something to them from a character doing something to their character

• Closed off

• Part of an exclusive group that only accepts close IRL friends

• Abusive of their power

• Average or villainous characters

• Why people call the server “Toxic” and never play again

• Many other things

If you notice, I am not particularly flattering towards the Private players. I believe that Private players are the people who turn others off of LOTC. The main reason for this is when Private players RP, they do so to gain something for themselves. Instead of for the experience or story. However, when Public players up, they seem to do so for the good of a group or just for the sake of RP.

If you notice, many people say the server is “toxic”. I feel banditry, meta-gaming, and RP for personal gain are the causes. I have seen multiple people say, on different occasions, that they have never walked away from a robbery, admin abuse, or meta-gaming situation wanting to continue to play. Whatever the situation, no one should ever feel that way. When people feel that way one of three things will happen.

1. The person will leave for a while and come back in several days and continue where they left off, if with slightly less enthusiasm. This will happen more often to a well-established player with roots in the community.

1. That person leaves the server and never comes back, slowly this degrades the current and new player base, leaving the server populated with only criminal characters and without RP. This will happen most often with new players.

1. That person decides to do unto others what was done unto him. He becomes a bandit and starts robbing/meta-gaming other players. This option is by far the worst. This option exacerbates that problem and creates a self-perpetuating downward spiral until everyone is hurting others to get ahead. This will happen to everyone who gets angry or annoyed at games of other people; another reason it is so scary.

Now some people will discredit these as doomsday scenarios that will never happen. To those people, I ask: “How do you know?” The Butterfly Effect is a tiny shift that can cause a chain of events leading to a catastrophe. There are rules on the server that try to stop these events, but rules can only take the players so far without becoming hindering to roleplay. So the final steps come down to the players.

Just saying “Be a better player” is far from reality. “What is a better player? Do I need to improve?  Is what I’m doing wrong?” These are all questions that every player needs to ask themselves. This is not a black and white issue. I cannot objectively say “This player is bad and this player is good.” That just isn’t how this works. To say that it is, wouldn’t be wise or correct.

So to summarize VERY basically: Everyone can make LOTC a much better -or worse- place. Try to do the former rather than the latter.

Also, check out Bluee’s guide to Toxicity for some tips (https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/180006-bluees-comprehensive-guide-on-not-being-toxic/?tab=comments#comment-1691260)

for the record if any new players come to this guide expecting it to be some authoritative analysis of the server, it’s not. it’s bullshit. it’s dumb. ignore this. go roleplay and ignore all of this.

i would absolutely argue that being more active in the OOC parts of LotC make you far worse and the best people on this server are those that ignore literally everything except roleplaying.

While this is very interesting, I have to disagree on your definitions of “private” players, as you seem to label them as sort of toxic or unhelpful players-- I beg to differ.

I’ve been both a nation leader, and what you call a “private” player. Right now, I’m getting involved with a small group who seems to just be chilling in the wildlands. They’re great people, and they’re far from what you described in your definition of a private player. Are you labeling all of these secluded players as rude and toxic? Sure, there’s definitely a fair mix of these kinds of players, but it seems unfair to label all secluded players like that, when there’s definitely a large mix of players who contribute greatly to the server without going out and getting involved with large groups. 

Not to say that there are no players who don’t fit what you described-- because there is. Ofc, I can totally see where you’re coming from, because everyone’s had different experiences. This server is very diverse in its community, and within the LOTC community people have their own communities, and within these communities there’s even SMALLER communities, etc. There’s good players and bad players all around, though it doesn't seem right to call a certain community out for who or where they RP with.

Over all good post though, it was interesting to read. Maybe I’ll type a longer response tomorrow, but for now, im heading off for the night.

You seem to have a very limited view on this, considering there are more than just two types of players and if we are going with ‘public’ and ‘private’ as the sectors, then that would be more of a spectrum where people are spliced between the two – What characters do you typically play? Like, the race and personality are the two I am most interested in.

**** unwillingly for beating me to what I wanted to say

I dont exactly think your qualifications for “Private” players is quite right. When I first joined the server I joined with 5 dear close friends which I had known for 4+ years previous, and we often felt like the public community of LOTC was very strange and not exactly the best.. now that being said, I believe the server has shifted in terms of toxicity over the last past months. In my personal opinion anyways, the server (in terms of the general players anyways) seems to people a /bit/ less ‘toxic’.

However, I dont exactly think people being “Private” is what destroys the server. Cliques exist everywhere. People tend to be a lot more closed off, and every nation in actuality seems to have its own kinda sub culture, which I think is a very healthy thing, because everyone has certain RP and OOC elements they like. 

In my opinion what causes toxicity on this server is the amount of elitism and people trying to crawl and manipulate others in order to get ontop of a really shitty totem pole. The people who crawl and wobble around to grab groups and suck them under their nation in order for activity. Too many people have this theory that they need to be at the top in order to enjoy the server, and that ******* over enemies and being the center of attention will instantly make them enjoy the server and that’s honestly just wrong.

I dont believe most “Private” players tend to do this. I think a better word for this would be “Clique-y OOC Squads Focused On Mid-Maxing themselves to the top”  

alright guys, you heard them, no more banditing because it’s making people quit a server full of staff corruption 

I think the reason most people hate banidtry/villany may be the idea that some people have that good characters should always beat evil ones.

image.png.f8ff0155e870e2466d1bd042208556fd.png

gotta take the good w/ the bad buddy

Edited by xxx

(Quietly thumbs this up because he was number 1) on the examples of how toxic shitty people treated him and had to take a break for like 2-3 months for his own mental health) 

Although... not all private players are bad. Like, I am kind of actually in-between your definitions of private and public in that I usually RP in small groups (like my lovely guild-mates in the Rangers of the Wild 392307831363076096.png?v=1), and I'm SLIGHTLY reclusive and wary, if only because I've been burned in the past by toxic people on this server and off of it. But the rest of the "public" stuff applies to me and how I've been described by people I've role-played with over the last 1.8 decades. Yes, I’ve been RPing for 18 years, give or take, since I was 11. I used to be edgy and power-gamey, but I learned.

I learned to not take things done to my character personally. In fact, I befriended many people who killed my characters on some occasions, just based on how they spoke to me OOCly and how cool their charaters were – how they gave my character a chance to win, but ultimately over-came them. It’s a growing process.

I feel like a lot of people can learn from this. I’m not sure “private” and “public” are the right words, per se, BUT, all in all, spot on. Not just in this server, but in almost every RP community I’ve ever been a part of.

9/10 
0mKXcg1.gif