[✗] [Ca Race Lore] - [The Dreori]

Archipelego

23 hours ago, Novastral said:

Take out the dumb **** about beguiling people. Your vampire race doesn't need magic.

i thought about it for a while, and i agree. that said i kept in the more extended version which is just a form of thralling. but yes, i came to the same conclusion; it was both dumb and not fitting of the rest of the aesthetic.

seeing how sutica delt with naztherak, i’m really wondering how they’re going to do with vampires : ) 

May i grow mutton chops and dual wield crossbows aimed at your brethren?

As long as this isn’t going to be a circle jerk like Striga always has been, I’m fine with this lore.

So this transformation is strong enough to nullify Iblees curse? Not complaining but the implications of this are very staggering in the grand narrative. By taking this transformation it allows for the wish of Horen to be fulfilled and granting his children everlasting life, albeit in a corrupted form.

21 minutes ago, Requiem said:

So this transformation is strong enough to nullify Iblees curse? Not complaining but the implications of this are very staggering in the grand narrative. By taking this transformation it allows for the wish of Horen to be fulfilled and granting his children everlasting life, albeit in a corrupted form.

Which should be genuinely the main idea of any sort of vampiric/immortality trope on the server. It should be aimed at allowing for the exploitation of the short lived curse with consequences and basically removing their humanity. As Striga did the same and was used as a trope to try and break the constraints of Iblees, so does this piece. Humans have avoided the short-life tropes of Iblees through necromancy and other forms before, this isnt anything new or gamechanging.

I really wanted to like this going into reading it, not wild about the theme but the server needs more genuine antagonistic threats. Unfortunately I think this quote from Joel taken out of context sums up  the Dreori as a whole.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, ScreamingDingo said:

this isnt anything new or gamechanging

This lore post has a whole ton of meat to it yet at the same time lacks real substance. It felt like all the effort went into the fulfilling that thematic niche but none into the overall competency of the creature. When it comes to conflict the Dreori are incredibly dull and pose minimal threat, they’re so incredibly outclassed by other creatures in every aspect of combat that the only people who should be concerned about them are fat merchants and noble women.

• Your claws are pathetically weak and short. Are you really going to be able to take on someone with a sword or mace when all you have are a few dainty little sharp fingernails? You have no reach and because of how fragile the claws are you are limited in where you can strike a person cause you sure as **** won’t be able to punch through someones armor.
  • The only way you’re going to kill someone with a bite is if you’re emoting Harold sneaks up behind and chomps down on the throat of the unsuspecting (half afk) fool. Otherwise you’re just going to get a knuckle sandwich from someone in full armor and end up with your teeth in the back of your throat.
  • Rapid scarring is ineffective in combat,  your simply not going to get the chance to pull off 5 uninterrupted emotes unless you have them copy pasted in a google doc.

Compared to other creatures that fills similar niches how is there any competition when comparing combat capabilities, Dreori seemed doomed to be the bottom of the food chain unless it was specifically written to be used in combination with another piece of magic.

Surely then if the Dreori are written to be bottom feeders compared to the bigger scarier things that go bump in the dark then they must have some interesting non combative abilities. This is not the case as ultimately the Dreori are only really good at disguising themselves and even then they’re outclassed by other creatures when it comes to disguising.

• The False Face seems to be purposed towards killing and them imitating someone which I think is wishful thinking that you’re going to pull off. Just ends up meaning you can have [Masked] in your character name really.
  • Dilation is arguably the most competent ability and at the end of the day it just means you can take on a new identity and change your mcskin so that people don’t notice the same fellow hasn’t aged for 40 years. It’s underwhelming and all that will come from it is a paranoia about metagaming. Ultimately it just means you can have [Disguised] in your character name and disguised roleplay is actually so dull whats even the point
  • Searing is just another bland way for internally maintaining the ranks of a specific magic group that every lore piece seems to have nowadays. It’s just a thematic golem spike to take out a Dreori who isn’t listening to the group. Nothing new or particularly interesting about it with multiple limitations added to it that are only going to amount to some quotations in a ban report.
  • Beguiling could’ve been interesting but ultimately just looks like an uninteresting version of contract magic (which was also bad) that's only real purpose is to justify why someone might cooperate with a Dreori.

This creature is plagued with so many disadvantages that there isn’t really an incentive to be one unless you really want a side character in this niche without any of the real bite. The only way I could see this lore being redeemed is if its written to be complementary to another form of magic but even then it just doesn’t have the legs to stand up on its own. I feel like you were so concerned with people crying “OP” that you killed it in the crib so no one would complain. I mean what are the incentives to interact with them or become one. There’s no temptation to be a Dreori and in the grand scheme of things to groups designed to kill spooks Dreori are such a non factor. The only way they’d ever be a threat is if you had 20 of the damn things and could use more then 3 in a fight without it being considered a raid.

tl;dr A creature so underwhelming and neutered that the only interesting byproduct it can generate is cyber logs of them banging a beguiled thrall but even then they’re so ******* weak they have to use a strapon cause they can’t get it up themselves. Jokes aside I welcome the idea of wanting more spook type antagonistic roleplay but it needs to be an actual threat.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:24 PM, Aengoth said:

I really wanted to like this going into reading it, not wild about the theme but the server needs more genuine antagonistic threats. Unfortunately I think this quote from Joel taken out of context sums up  the Dreori as a whole.

This lore post has a whole ton of meat to it yet at the same time lacks real substance. It felt like all the effort went into the fulfilling that thematic niche but none into the overall competency of the creature. When it comes to conflict the Dreori are incredibly dull and pose minimal threat, they’re so incredibly outclassed by other creatures in every aspect of combat that the only people who should be concerned about them are fat merchants and noble women.

• Your claws are pathetically weak and short. Are you really going to be able to take on someone with a sword or mace when all you have are a few dainty little sharp fingernails? You have no reach and because of how fragile the claws are you are limited in where you can strike a person cause you sure as **** won’t be able to punch through someones armor.
  • The only way you’re going to kill someone with a bite is if you’re emoting Harold sneaks up behind and chomps down on the throat of the unsuspecting (half afk) fool. Otherwise you’re just going to get a knuckle sandwich from someone in full armor and end up with your teeth in the back of your throat.
  • Rapid scarring is ineffective in combat,  your simply not going to get the chance to pull off 5 uninterrupted emotes unless you have them copy pasted in a google doc.

Compared to other creatures that fills similar niches how is there any competition when comparing combat capabilities, Dreori seemed doomed to be the bottom of the food chain unless it was specifically written to be used in combination with another piece of magic.

Surely then if the Dreori are written to be bottom feeders compared to the bigger scarier things that go bump in the dark then they must have some interesting non combative abilities. This is not the case as ultimately the Dreori are only really good at disguising themselves and even then they’re outclassed by other creatures when it comes to disguising.

• The False Face seems to be purposed towards killing and them imitating someone which I think is wishful thinking that you’re going to pull off. Just ends up meaning you can have [Masked] in your character name really.
  • Dilation is arguably the most competent ability and at the end of the day it just means you can take on a new identity and change your mcskin so that people don’t notice the same fellow hasn’t aged for 40 years. It’s underwhelming and all that will come from it is a paranoia about metagaming. Ultimately it just means you can have [Disguised] in your character name and disguised roleplay is actually so dull whats even the point
  • Searing is just another bland way for internally maintaining the ranks of a specific magic group that every lore piece seems to have nowadays. It’s just a thematic golem spike to take out a Dreori who isn’t listening to the group. Nothing new or particularly interesting about it with multiple limitations added to it that are only going to amount to some quotations in a ban report.
  • Beguiling could’ve been interesting but ultimately just looks like an uninteresting version of contract magic (which was also bad) that's only real purpose is to justify why someone might cooperate with a Dreori.

This creature is plagued with so many disadvantages that there isn’t really an incentive to be one unless you really want a side character in this niche without any of the real bite. The only way I could see this lore being redeemed is if its written to be complementary to another form of magic but even then it just doesn’t have the legs to stand up on its own. I feel like you were so concerned with people crying “OP” that you killed it in the crib so no one would complain. I mean what are the incentives to interact with them or become one. There’s no temptation to be a Dreori and in the grand scheme of things to groups designed to kill spooks Dreori are such a non factor. The only way they’d ever be a threat is if you had 20 of the damn things and could use more then 3 in a fight without it being considered a raid.

tl;dr A creature so underwhelming and neutered that the only interesting byproduct it can generate is cyber logs of them banging a beguiled thrall but even then they’re so ******* weak they have to use a strapon cause they can’t get it up themselves. Jokes aside I welcome the idea of wanting more spook type antagonistic roleplay but it needs to be an actual threat.

i actually really appreciate you taking the time to review the lore and leave your criticism. it’s hard to find people willing to give a genuine critique like this. after considering it for awhile i made a few changes.

- made the claws longer

- made sharpening slightly less ****

- cut the time for rapid scarring to 3 emotes

- made false face have a bit more use

a concern of mine was not crossing the threshold of making something too strong, yes, and i may have overshot it. any other changes you would suggest? specifically with beguiling, and on how to make it more interesting.

Finally gave this a good read through and I hope to see it implemented after the LoreMags are finally done. Big +1 for you Archi 

This lore has been denied.

Lore self denied. If you believe this is incorrect, let me know.