Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

I'm attempting to write a name in Elvish for a guild that I joined which Disbanded in my VA. what is the word, "Army".

Also, I applaud you on your work... (I want swear words to annoy other races.)

Could be siliran, though that has no specificity towards numbers. You could combine it to make siliran igne'saeonn, which would be 'swordsmen born of war'

Personally I would work from the word igne'sae alone, meaning 'destruction' or 'war'. One can further inflect this composition to igne'sair, which would be someone who has a purpose related to war, no doubt meaning 'soldier'.

An army would be many soldiers. Thus, igne'sairan.

Added an Elven word for 'give' or 'grand'. It was needed.

I really enjoyed reading through all the pages and I think I start to get a hold of some small phrases. Now I just have to wait for the release of the language officially.

I really enjoyed reading through all the pages and I think I start to get a hold of some small phrases. Now I just have to wait for the release of the language officially.

Officially? You must be misinformed. There's not going to be an official release of this language. It is an ancient language of which the recovery is gradual, and slowly Elves who are interested in such begin to learn again the secrets of the tongue they once spoke.

I had considered igne'sair to be a trouble-maker; someone who causes war literally or philosophically. Would be a different Elven term for uruk, or someone who acts orc-like.

But, however you understand it go with it.

I had considered igne'sair to be a trouble-maker; someone who causes war literally or philosophically. Would be a different Elven term for uruk, or someone who acts orc-like.

But, however you understand it go with it.

I've always considered mir'sair for the troublemaker branch.

*Rivell sits quietly, unmoving, on his boat, absently tracing the dents in what seems like a slab of stone. He mutters quietly to himself*

How ironic, then, that this is the only piece of Elven writing that I could salvage from a smoldering world.

*Slowly he picks out a piece of charcoal and begins to scribble on parchment, reciting to himself*

((

llum: griefing, sorrowful

llumn: sorrow

vallum: crying, weeping

vallumn: tear

llumer: to grief, to mourn

llumir: mourner

vallumer: to cry, to weep

vallumir: weeper, crier

llum'sae: Burial, wake

llum'saer: To bury, to remember (of the dead)

))

Yup. I'm afraid that this is my Saturday project. Start learning Elven. :P Thanks for writing all that up, OP!

((It's actually not that much... a lot of vocabulary, though...

But If you come over a word for thoughts or emotions, tell me, anyone.))

I don't know what to tell you, Laurir. I have no idea what kind of word you mean by 'thoughts' or 'emotions'. But here are some literal translations you can use:

For thought, i'm thinking of pushing iyat

And for sensation/emotion, try using salumii salumonn, which means 'from feeling'.

((I think iyat would be good, but then to think would be iyatn, which I don't really like, but could work.

I like salumonn, though.

I'll be posting the poem you asked me to translate in a sec.

Wait for it...

Title:Thill

nae'leh iyatan.

nae'leh salumonnan.

nae'leh adiln.

nae'leh adil'karinto.

nae'leh ilirn.

nae'leh valleimiruel.

lye'leh sirame.

))

Major update pushed!

• Added a large selection of new nouns, verbs, and general words to enrich the language!
  • Added the decreed rules on capitalization, with a bit of revision from myself, into the grammar section.
  • Elven now sees distinction between four groups of verbs. The -er type is still very dominant in occurrence, but also existent are the -ar, -h and irregular group. The middle 2 groups have different optative inflections, as explained in the grammar section. Rules on these verb groups may be further defined in the future
  • Added a new prefix for 'or' and a new preposition for 'because'.
  • Capitalized lightly on the ability to insult others in Elven. For this I slightly altered comments on various words and added some new ones.

Yeah, insults right? Lots of people wanted swear words. Swear words already existed, though, if you knew where to look. But, for general satisfaction (and because I feel like it), I'm going to outline them now:

The fun way to insult someone in Elven is to give them a gold nugget. The words curse and gold are identical in the tongue (Acaln). Thus, by handing someone a gold nugget, you are openly declaring you wish curses, horror and general nastiness upon them because in Elven, the two acts are described in the same way. True gentlemen insult others this way.

For not-so-gentlemanly elves, there's also words. They are Ikrir, Elor, Tair and Chikr. One can also use Ullan ito nae'leh. Most of these already existed, some are new. Most of them are mild, one is not. You shall have to find out what they mean by yourself (try here), and read the comment (disclaimer?) I put next to each one while you're at it.

((I haven't officially joined but I'm hoping its alright I begin to work my way into the community, I was just wondering if there will be a simple way to learn this language once it is complete, I'm an elf who will be joining in soon and I would like to know at least some basics before I join the elven community, a friend is letting me stay with some dwarves until I learn the basics of the server. And there are some elven languages already made, I could send a file sometime I have a few words and its written down how to pronounce them as well))