[Shelved][✓] [Transfiguration Addition] - Alter Position/Telekinesis

IsaaKc

New spell:

Alter Position: Non-Combative

A popular choice for the learning Alterationist's entry-level spell, a Transfigurationist may alter the position of an object. This is done by establishing a Mana Anchor on an object through the Void, and channeling one's own Mana into the object to create momentum, allowing them to freely move its position through space.

Spoiler

Mechanics:

This spell takes one connect + one charge + 1 cast emote to perform. The Transfigurationist may choose an object within their Transmutation range and use their own Mana to freely move it through space. There isn't a hard limit on how fast an object may go, but as a rule of thumb, the heavier an object, the slower and more difficult it will be to manipulate. Additionally, an object could not go fast enough to meaningfully wound someone, such as break a bone or pierce skin. Although this spell's value lies mostly in lifting small objects with incredible ease for a well studied Mage, many Magi may band together through Infusion Rituals/Circling to create Enchantments that may float anywhere from a home up to an incredibly large mass of land.

Red-lines:

- Cannot be used to obtain a combat advantage at all. This spell is largely reserved for flavor. If you have to ask yourself "am I able to do this?" then you probably can't.

- Unlike other Transmutation spells, Alter Position does not require a thorough understanding of the object in question's makeup.

- Objects beyond 25lbs/~11kg may not be lifted via Alter Position collectively. That being said, incredibly particulate substances such as sand may not be lifted in large amounts more than a few grains. One may be able to cause rain around them to miraculously deflect off their attire, but throwing large globs of water is not a feasible task.

- The heavier an object, the slower it travels and more difficult it is to move.

- Enchantments created via Alter Position cannot provide a combative advantage in any way.

- Objects travelling at high speeds (anything faster than a thrown paper airplane) may not be stopped out right via Alter Position.

- The range of Alter Position correlates with the tier of the Transfigurationist’s Transmutation range (Tier 5 allows a range of a 10 block radius).
- The creation of floating objects/masses in Enchanting via Circling requires ST approval and consent from a Region Owner of the tile. If no region owner is present, World Team and Story Team approval is required.

- Alter Position can be used in lieu of Telekinesis to create Telekinesis limbs.

Should this lore be accepted, the spell "Alter Position" will be integrated in Transfiguration lore under the "Transmutation" subsection. It is learned at the very beginning of Tier 3.

Purpose

I don't think I should have to explain myself here, but the intent of this addition is to return the wizard aesthetic that Telekinesis had without its incredibly broken combative nature. It's been proven several times that a proper Telekinesis rewrite is an ideal that this server will never see, and as such I find it reasonable that something like noncombative Telekinesis is integrated into Transfiguration, which has diffused to many players within the last couple years. A spell similar to this used to be present in Toxzero's old "Domestic Magic" lore, but with the introduction of Housemagery, Domestic Magic was removed from the Voidal Mage community's possession. I'm willing to add any red-lines necessary, but there isn't much justification behind this spell besides the fact that it's harmless, and that there's no reason a Transfigurationist shouldn't be able to already do this in roleplay.

Credit

IsaacAuthor

Currently implemented Transfiguration Lore:

Telekinesis lore/guide that was most commonly used prior to shelving:

Changelog

- Added red-line (7/11/2021)

- Enchantments created via Alter Position cannot provide a combative advantage in any way.

- Added red-line (7/11/2021)

- Alter Position can be used in lieu of Telekinesis to create Telekinesis limbs.

- Highlighted inability to gain combative advantage (7/11/2021)

- Clarified tile approval for large Alter Position structures (7/11/2021)

Edited by IsaaKc

Hey Isaac told me to upvote this so here you go. Not as cool as mordus but it's probably OK

I havent read it 

I did a flavor emote and he decided to write lore for it 

I'm very dumb, but wouldn't this fit more with the nature of Translocation?

44 minutes ago, Shorsand said:

I'm very dumb, but wouldn't this fit more with the nature of Translocation?

Translocation is punching holes in the void/breaking down materials and sending them to the void for transportation and storage, respectively.

Transfiguration moreso focuses on the physical properties of objects and their direct manipulation. I'd argue it fits more with Transfiguration, but I can see where you're coming from.

If this male shows me genuine human affection I'll make it a +2

+1

I wish we had domestic magic again, not sure why it was killed for a totally different thing. The RP flavor was nice.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.

Lore has been shelved and moved to the appropriate subforum. If you have questions about why this specific lore has been shelved, please contact an ST Manager or the ST Administrator.