"12" Years AMA

Archmage_Cataris

Hi,

I joined July 13, 2011, I have not played since around December 2012.

I made a lot of great friends and I occasionally return to see what people are up too, what's changed or answer DM's that have attracted dust and cobwebs. There's a number of players I still talk too and write with today, and have even met some in person who have flown from the US to Australia. I may not have stayed on LOTC but the impact LOTC had has stayed with me.

I wrote Cataris and later on Asulon I wrote Lysle Rigger of the Thieves Guild.

I figured while I am logged in for my roughly annual check-in I would toss this in here if anyone wanted to chat or ask questions.

Good to see you return! As a now long running leader of The Mages Guild, I thought I recognized your name! The history books (AKA the wiki) only usually tell one side of the story. I'd love to hear more about your original days in the guild, alongside the Cataris Treachery! Alongside any golden days of powerful magical events or creations that stick in your mind!

P.S You're always welcome back if you ever wanna RP again, would be good to have another Aussie around.

30 minutes ago, z3m0s said:

Good to see you return! As a now long running leader of The Mages Guild, I thought I recognized your name! The history books (AKA the wiki) only usually tell one side of the story. I'd love to hear more about your original days in the guild, alongside the Cataris Treachery! Alongside any golden days of powerful magical events or creations that stick in your mind!

P.S You're always welcome back if you ever wanna RP again, would be good to have another Aussie around.

It has been so long that my memory of my time in the Mages Guild is faint. Cataris spent a lot of his time far from the guild tower and in the deep north operating against the Undead and at one point leading an army to fight them (There's actually a video of this on youtube I once found). He also spent some time with the Ascended near the Dwarf kingdom of Urguan(?), I can't quite recall the exact name.

I do remember in the later days when Cataris' close friend was secretly working with the Undead and had convinced Cataris to allow him into the Mages Guild tower, which was forbidden for anyone but a member of the guild. Cataris did so and was betrayed by this friend. From memory it was this sneaking into the tower that caused Cataris to lose the favour of the guild and was thrown out. 

It was shortly after that Cataris was murdered and then resurrected by the Undead as the first Lich. Unless things had changed he was the only Undead to survive the collapse of Aegis and make it to Asulon where he spent a lot of time in hiding or hunting down other magicians out of spite for his dismissal in the guild. He eventually died lonely, miserable and with an insignificant death to a lesser magician skilled in illusion magic.

Edit: A memorable event was some players had created a cult and approached Cataris, worshipping him as the last living power of Iblees' magic left on Asulon. They eventually resurrected a giant and Cataris and this cult attacked an elven city with it

Well I'll be damned, another boomer emerges! How are you Cataris? This is gaiusmarius8.

10 minutes ago, Ibn Khaldun said:

Well I'll be damned, another boomer emerges! How are you Cataris? This is gaiusmarius8.

Good to see you're still around. I was actually just reading some of your older posts over the years, didn't realise you were Gaius though hah

I've been good, I still do a lot of RP but it's mostly forum-based and all sci-fi. I haven't really delved back into fantasy or MCRP but another LOTC writer from way back who I still talk too daily is coming back to have a look around and figured maybe I might join him and create a character.

3 minutes ago, Archmage_Cataris said:

Good to see you're still around. I was actually just reading some of your older posts over the years, didn't realise you were Gaius though hah

I've been good, I still do a lot of RP but it's mostly forum-based and all sci-fi. I haven't really delved back into fantasy or MCRP but another LOTC writer from way back who I still talk too daily is coming back to have a look around and figured maybe I might join him and create a character.

Is it Geoboy66 or Tehlulu by chance?

Speaking of Sci-Fi RP, you might like this olden-golden browser based Space MMO Pardus. A few of us play on Artemis universe and its been fun breaking up the monotony of remote work for me personally.

2 minutes ago, Ibn Khaldun said:

Speaking of Sci-Fi RP, you might like this olden-golden browser based Space MMO Pardus. A few of us play on Artemis universe and its been fun breaking up the monotony of remote work for me personally.

Lulu is long off the craft

Might actually be worth logging in during Aussie times with old heads coming back

5 minutes ago, Ibn Khaldun said:

I can't actually recall their MC name, I'll have to ask. We've been friends for so long and haven't played MC for so long that I only know them by their real name and can't remember their handle at all haha

54 minutes ago, Archmage_Cataris said:

It has been so long that my memory of my time in the Mages Guild is faint. Cataris spent a lot of his time far from the guild tower and in the deep north operating against the Undead and at one point leading an army to fight them (There's actually a video of this on youtube I once found). He also spent some time with the Ascended near the Dwarf kingdom of Urguan(?), I can't quite recall the exact name.

I do remember in the later days when Cataris' close friend was secretly working with the Undead and had convinced Cataris to allow him into the Mages Guild tower, which was forbidden for anyone but a member of the guild. Cataris did so and was betrayed by this friend. From memory it was this sneaking into the tower that caused Cataris to lose the favour of the guild and was thrown out. 

It was shortly after that Cataris was murdered and then resurrected by the Undead as the first Lich. Unless things had changed he was the only Undead to survive the collapse of Aegis and make it to Asulon where he spent a lot of time in hiding or hunting down other magicians out of spite for his dismissal in the guild. He eventually died lonely, miserable and with an insignificant death to a lesser magician skilled in illusion magic.

Edit: A memorable event was some players had created a cult and approached Cataris, worshipping him as the last living power of Iblees' magic left on Asulon. They eventually resurrected a giant and Cataris and this cult attacked an elven city with it

Fascinating, I appreciate you sharing! I don't believe the wiki even states how your fall to the dark came about, only that it happened after a disagreement with the guild, making Cataris look like far more of a bad guy than it seems in reality he was. These little intricacies always fascinate me about stories before my time, there's always so much more nuance than is written for the history books. I appreciate you sharing very much and wish you all the best. The offer to welcome your return is always open!

8 minutes ago, z3m0s said:

Fascinating, I appreciate you sharing! I don't believe the wiki even states how your fall to the dark came about, only that it happened after a disagreement with the guild, making Cataris look like far more of a bad guy than it seems in reality he was. These little intricacies always fascinate me about stories before my time, there's always so much more nuance than is written for the history books. I appreciate you sharing very much and wish you all the best. The offer to welcome your return is always open!

From memory his turning was a result of corruption by the Undead and Iblees during resurrection and no true intention of evil on Cataris' part while he was mortal. Although once he was corrupted any vestiges of good was utterly and completely gone.

I've been reading up on bits here and there and I've found several discrepancies about Aegis history which makes it very fun in my opinion. Something about history being retold without any real primary source and the original stories are muddied and lost to time. Such an example is I found a post where someone refers to Cataris as being Ascended, or that he was a part of some sect that he had never actually been in.

Another bit of history I remembered. Cataris had tracked Ambrose to a halfling village, where the halflings actually turned on Ambrose and joined Cataris' side. It was a very odd event but hilarious too that the halflings sided with the walking skeleton over the benevolent magician.

I think I'll give a crack at returning, but who and how I have to think of

2 hours ago, Lirinya said:

hi cataris how do

I do good. Nice to see you're still around. I have mostly stuck to forum RP these last 10 years but I enjoy coming back here to see the progress and what's changing

On 6/16/2023 at 3:55 AM, Archmage_Cataris said:

What up boomer