A Pocket Guide to Aevos

Java17

java is a gift to this world

Númendil not Numendil. Also generally Adunians are seen as Humans and rply understand themselves as such.

Talar'nor not Tala'nor

Otherwise all the love!

7 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

Númendil not Numendil. Also generally Adunians are seen as Humans and rply understand themselves as such.

Talar'nor not Tala'nor

Otherwise all the love!

1 hour ago, Java17 said:

Númendil

Here's a culture post for Númendil, or at least for the Númenedain specifically

Very based to have a post to collate all the settlement guides together though. The hero we needed.

I am sure that this guide was well-meaning, but I think it would've been far more reasonable to reach out to the leaders of these places beforehand because by making this guide and having it pinned, your words are speaking for what these groups are about even if it's not accurate. Reading your summaries, it's quite apparent that there are varying levels of ignorance about what experiences and cultural focuses these nations actually provide. The only real accurate human summary from my understanding is Petra. My suggestion is that you proactively seek out these NLs and amend your guide, instead of waiting for them to come to you when they may not even realise this guide exists.

@Crevel Hello! We did!

https://i.gyazo.com/b86d9a96518695ab477efddcb66b2ba6.png

This message was posted a few days ago in the main LOTC discord, and we had a few people reach out to discuss their wiki / settlement guides etc. Java has also stated that the Nations are welcome to reach out if they would like anything altered on the post, so if anything is incorrect please encourage them to reach out to Java! We already tried to contact them.

32 minutes ago, Amayonnaise said:

@Crevel Hello! We did!

https://i.gyazo.com/b86d9a96518695ab477efddcb66b2ba6.png

This message was posted a few days ago in the main LOTC discord, and we had a few people reach out to discuss their wiki / settlement guides etc. Java has also stated that the Nations are welcome to reach out if they would like anything altered on the post, so if anything is incorrect please encourage them to reach out to Java! We already tried to contact them.

The screenshot provided addresses only settlement guides and wikis, and it shows that three days was not enough time to allow these groups to make an updated settlement guide or wiki page. It shows because this post links to a subforum, settlement guides that are probably on average about 2 years old, and wiki pages which aren't ordinarily updated anyway unless a monarch dies, or someone is on a binge to write many paragraphs about something they remembered a few weeks to a few months ago. I've worked on a settlement guide in the past and I've worked on the wiki, you aren't going to get something fantastic in a short amount of time that covers all the useful information in each nation in 3 days. Each group has varying activity levels, varying real life commitments, and varying members of their leadership trusted to work on whatever they need to work on. If you're going to expect people to have updated information about their nation, they need to be given more time.

As I said before, the screenshot pretty much only addresses guides and wikis. It isn't giving the leaderships of these nations the opportunity to speak about what experiences and culture they realistically provide to be summarised in a short sentence. Balian for instance, was founded because pro-Empire Orenians lost, and they decided to settle far away from the Orenian heartlands in Almaris. Despite that, they're labeled as the "realm shaped by historical turmoil. Provides narratives of recovery, growth, and humanity's indomitable spirit" while Aaun, which remained in the volatile heartlands and went through multiple civil conflicts is simply "A realm of diversity and inclusion. Excellent for exploring religious narratives, political dynamics."

As I said before, if a guide is going to be made like this, the people working on the guide should be proactively reaching out to every leader's DMs and discuss what is being included in the post. It shows an initiative to work with the community instead of doing a poor job and then waiting for people to come to you to correct any mistakes. You have their discord accounts, you can reach out to them.

14 minutes ago, Crevel said:

The screenshot provided addresses only settlement guides and wikis, and it shows that three days was not enough time to allow these groups to make an updated settlement guide or wiki page. It shows because this post links to a subforum, settlement guides that are probably on average about 2 years old, and wiki pages which aren't ordinarily updated anyway unless a monarch dies, or someone is on a binge to write many paragraphs about something they remembered a few weeks to a few months ago.

That message I screenshot explained what the post would entail, including the brief description. Updated Wiki + Forum links can easily be added after the fact, and any inaccurate descriptions can just as easily be amended. I cannot speak on the accuracy of their descriptions as my focus was on ensuring the Nation Hub on the wiki was updated, and keeping in touch with NL's who wished to design and create their wiki page - which will be a project of at least a few weeks.

We quite literally @'d all Nation leaders and Settlement leaders, and had a number of them respond to us discussing plans for their wikis and settlement guides, which I discussed with them, and amended the Nations & Major Settlements hub page on the wiki to be updated with the current Nations. Java could have simply made this post with the available resources, but I sent that message to involve the NL's as a group, and several did respond.

This quite honestly is not a large issue. Amendments can very easily be made, and I have personally offered to update wikis and help with settlement guides. The offer was extended to all NL's.

7 minutes ago, Crevel said:

The screenshot provided addresses only settlement guides and wikis, and it shows that three days was not enough time to allow these groups to make an updated settlement guide or wiki page. It shows because this post links to a subforum, settlement guides that are probably on average about 2 years old, and wiki pages which aren't ordinarily updated anyway unless a monarch dies, or someone is on a binge to write many paragraphs about something they remembered a few weeks to a few months ago.

As I said before, the screenshot pretty much only addresses guides and wikis. It isn't giving the leaderships of these nations the opportunity to speak about what experiences and culture they realistically provide to be summarised in a short sentence. Balian for instance, was founded because pro-Empire Orenians lost, and they decided to settle far away from the Orenian heartlands in Almaris. Despite that, they're labeled as the "realm shaped by historical turmoil. Provides narratives of recovery, growth, and humanity's indomitable spirit" while Aaun, which remained in the volatile heartlands and went through multiple civil conflicts is simply "A realm of diversity and inclusion. Excellent for exploring religious narratives, political dynamics."

As I said before, if a guide is going to be made like this, the people working on the guide should be proactively reaching out to every leader's DMs and discuss what is being included in the post. It shows an initiative to work with the community instead of doing a poor job and then waiting for people to come to you to correct any mistakes. You have their discord accounts, you can reach out to them.

Not to take sides, but this is meant as a pocket guide (title says so), and therefor not a whole description of how and why nations formed and such. Why does a new player that's looking for religious RP have to know how Aaun formed? They can find out IRP, and interact with the community. It isn't misleading or ignoring essential facts. Why is it essential for a new player to know that the Pro Empire Orenians (Oren being a nation that died quite a long while ago, and while influential in it's time, no longer existent.) lost and settled somewhere else? Why would a new player need to know how Urguan's elections work?

18 minutes ago, Markisstreaming said:

Why does a new player that's looking for religious RP have to know how Aaun formed? They can find out IRP, and interact with the community. It isn't misleading or ignoring essential facts. Why is it essential for a new player to know that the Pro Empire Orenians (Oren being a nation that died quite a long while ago, and while influential in it's time, no longer existent.) lost and settled somewhere else? Why would a new player need to know how Urguan's elections work?

You are not understanding my point in regard to this. The point I was making is that there are inconsistencies in the little information provided that are not relevant or accurate to what experiences and culture these nations provide. I have no issue with it being a snippet of information, I encourage it because most players don't want to read a lot. However, if you are going to include information in a pinned guide, it should contain accurate information because new players will look at this guide to gauge what they are interested in.

To mention the example that I used in my last comment, why is Balian heralded as the nation that was shaped by political turmoil when Aaun has gone through more political turmoil and conflict than Balian has? Major conflict surrounding Aaun is much more recent than any major war where Balian was at the forefront. If they are going to include war shaping realms in their summary , it should go to Aaun or Adria if anything due to recent server history. Like you agreed with, the Imperialist - Royalist civil war in Oren was a long while ago and in the end it formed Balian but it was really long ago so why is it relevant now and why would it be relevant for however long this guide is around for? It's not, which is why I used it as an example.

Some of these summaries are done really well. Petra's is good, Haelunor's is good, Halflings' are good too. It's just that when you see the ones that aren't accurate, it's going to give false impressions to players expecting something and not seeing it through the roleplay.

4 minutes ago, Crevel said:

-

If you would like to DM either of us on Discord to provide us with more accurate descriptions, please do so and we will update them asap! My discord is Amayonnaise#0895 and Java's is topsituation. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Crevel said:

You are not understanding my point in regard to this. The point I was making is that there are inconsistencies in the little information provided that are not relevant or accurate to what experiences and culture these nations provide. I have no issue with it being a snippet of information, I encourage it because most players don't want to read a lot. However, if you are going to include information in a pinned guide, it should contain accurate information because new players will look at this guide to gauge what they are interested in.

I understand now, the only thing I was trying to say is that not every piece of information is relevant, and I believe all the descriptions here only contain the most relevant and important information

Some changes were made for nations whose NLs reached out. If you are an NL and wish to have the representation of your nation in this guide change please contact me on Discord.