To the Leaguers of Canondom

SimplySeo

"Make your husband say on God, Klara." Eredain Glennmaer just poked the Duchess as he spoke, "Really. Just go ahead! It's not that hard, even the pregnant wife of the Koeng could do it...."

"Ever the talent with words, my father," remarked Caraneth Aryantë, chancing to read over a copy of the missive that had found its way onto her writing desk. "We can but hope that his wisdom is well-received. Mayhap then I can lay my skepticism aside for a time."

"A perfectly reasonable request." The knight says with an approving nod.

Renilde felt a swell of pride in her chest, knowing she’d caused the entire debacle across Canondom, yet for the right reasons. “It is only right. It is the only way for the pact to be binding - legally!” Renilde smiles from her lounge in the Citadel over dinner with her children Winifred and Paul, and looked forward to being present at the swearing of both the King of Haense and Duke of Adria. 

"The King said he'd swear the same oath at the same time as the Duke of Adria, there is nothing wrong with that. It would appear that the Duke did not care for the peace agreement, it was only pushed by Aaun who were too scared to continue, he missed every single meeting that resulted in this treaty, I wonder if he'll make an appearance this time." Said Andrik.

To the King of Numendil,

It is no secret that my health is in poor condition, making my trips beyond my city infrequent and difficult. However, I believe some confusion has arise, both in the understanding of the nature of Adrian government and of my role within it. I am no king as are the Princes of the Canonist League. My rule was derived not from the will of God and esteemed bloodline, but rather secured by a vote of our lawful and democratic Duma. I was chosen by the people of Adria, and my right to rule is legitimized and continued by their ongoing consent, which has yet to be withheld either by the electoral commission or the popular Duma. 

My role is not to rule, but to govern and steward the lands of Adria in the name of the Duma. As Duke of Adria, I am not lord and master, but the first citizen- a first among equals and he who serves as the chosen leader in all functions of government, but not an all-powerful agent whose authority is inalienable. I act at the behest of the Duma, and all actions I take with the office that has been bestowed to me are done legally and with consent of the Duma. Although these peace proceedings were done under my direction, it was only so because the Duma had willed it. My personal feelings of the matter are wholly irrelevant, for my station is bound by the laws that govern it, and I act only under the Duma's instruction. To attempt to evade or circumvent the will of the Adrians is to forfeit my station.

These peace accords, and the accompanying treaty, were not verified and confirmed by my office, but rather by the Duma and the people of Adria, who, after a vote, confirmed their desire to continue through with the offered peace and our place in the Canonist League. With a binding vote, my role was assigned: I was to aid in the architecture of the peace, but my role was no greater or lesser than the authority conferred to all those involved in the process. Had I found cause to reject the treaty, despite its support from the Duma, then I would have no authority to make such a decision, for its acceptance had been decided by powers of the state that are greater than I. 

It is in this context that my wife's presence and signing of the peace was not merely the act of the wife of the Duke of Adria whose powers conferred to her were done through my will. She was given the authority of the Adrian Duma to authorize the document and sign it. Her authority was the same as I- greater, in truth- for in executing the will of the Adrians, there was no power that could forbid her from doing what she had been assigned. Even had I been there and attempted to stop her, it would have been in vain, for she would have the authority of our law and I would not. As we enter a changed time, an era of peace, I must continue my role as the steward of the Adrian people and work tirelessly to uphold this peace, as is required of my office. It is not decided by my desires and whims, but by the requirements of my office. What oath I swear or paper I sign is irrelevant, for I act not as Johanes van Aert, but as the elected Duke of Adria at the command of my people and their Duma.

My presence, or lack thereof, is an insignificant thing, for I carry only the authority of the Duma of Adria and nothing more. My will is subject to the body's, and, the peace having been confirmed through legal processes, must now be seen through and fulfilled by the elected Duke, the mere servant of his people. This Canonist League is not the League of Renilde I, John II, James Leopold, Adrian I, and Alexander II, it is the League of Petra, Adria, Aaun, Balian, and Haense. I would hope that this peace is not contingent on our respective offices and persons, for we must bind together a peace for our states and the people therein. This constructed peace should not rely on mere oaths of one woman and four men, but rather the insistence and dedication of all the good Canonists of Aevos to uphold our fraternity and goodwill as we strive for a peaceful future. Ought this not be a lasting concord, one upheld by generations past us, and not subject to tumult and change when the inevitably occurs and the offices we occupy find another seated?

However, I understand that concerns must be assuaged. I will confer with the Duma and see if permission can be given for me to take the same oath that the other Princes did before His Holiness.

Johanes van Aert

Father Elim converses lightly with Bishop Callahan on one of their weekly treks between the dioceses. Callahan offers:

"While there is certainly no controversy in your waiting for the affirmation and and sworn oath of the absent signatories, and commended in your seeking of peace to these ends that no man should find aggregious, the unease surrounding the Ruskan-King and his refusal to swear to this oath is not sourced in either his compulsion, nor his free will, nor even the good will of those sent in his stead.

Simply, the King-Haense did not swear to the oath before God, but surrendered his word unto a piece of paper presented by the Church. This is, symbolically, nothing short of a mockery directly repugnant to the function of the Church, and to the High Pontiff, Vicar of God. It is as to say he shall make no oath to God almighty, but to the temporal institution known as the 'Church' he shall capitulate- these are the garments of Babel and an insult to the Church, who presents this document in the name of God. Had he not signed the document, perhaps, he may say, and say rightly: "I shall withhold until mine counterpart is present to swear alongside me."

All the same, we pray that the two may come together to swear to peace rightly, and humble themselves before God."

Father Elim nods his head "indeed."