[Your View] Raid Announcements

Spoopy_Duck

Raid Announcements  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Should raids be announced an hour beforehand?

• Yes
    • Yes but less than an hour
    • No
  2. 2. If a raid is pinged beforehand should it automatically default to pvp?

• Yes
    • Yes if x amount of players are raiding
    • No
  3. 3. Should the raiding party have to announce the realm they are raiding or just the city/tile?

• Realm
    • City/Tile

Raiders are truly the most productive and the most oppressed roleplayers on the Lord of the Craft, the premium raiding experience. 

1 hour ago, MisterBlitzkrieg said:

The brain rot of the LOTC community finds new ways to impress me every time. "YES!!! Let's find ways to make the server more boring so that I, the objectively main character of this pixel game, can romance rp with my 16-year-old elven waifu in peace!!!!!". Holy shit y'all are pathetic goddamn. If you really want warnings before a raid shows up, put actual players in watchtowers or outposts to act as scouts. Use actual players to patrol your lands and roads so that you have a better chance of spotting raids or bandit parties before they descend upon people. Ring your bells. 

As kazoo said, THE ONLY people that want these kinds of systems are settlements and nations that are either too weak, have an ego bigger than Icarus, and cocky places that need ways to validate their "big and strong great power" rp while in reality, they aren't really a great power since they cant even deal with a bandit group of five people without a warning before hand LOL. 

Then there's the fact that this warning will just kill conflict roleplay. People will log off after the notice has been given or close to when the raiders are allowed to roll up and raid. If not then it will just lead to banditry/raiding being a viable form of roleplay anymore since nations and settlements will make sure to rally before, maybe even bringing in other nations not related to the raid just so they can tip the scale of power and all get clicks. 

On top of this announcing any read prior is pointless as it means as soon as you alert them, the gates are going to be locked shut

Which means ANYONE who ss's over to come check the place out will instantly be ganked

Rather than helping the nations inside, it'll kill off any visitors or new players wanting to go there ever again 

CRP raids should not be announced. The last CRP raid i was in was lead by @Qizu(I was on the defending side). And it was done so well I was so impressed by the clear planning they had to do to make it work. 

They had a whole 'undercover' or 'innocent' looking player that was helping the defending side and that betrayed us when shit went south. 
Not to mention the amazing entry they had by showing out of nowhere. 

I believe that PvP raids should be announced but not an hour before, more like six, but within those six hours the raid can happen anytime. So its still a hard chance for metagaming or whatever, and I think this will make both sides happy. Since it seems inevitable to not have a raid notification anymore.

8 hours ago, satinkira said:

I agree that a general direction should be set out, but shouldn't raids be left somewhat open in terms of purpose to permit different types of it? Feels restrictive to set out a specific staff-enforced vision for what raiding should be

No, that's not what I'm saying. Raids should be able to achieve a variety of purposes but mods need to have an idea of what wider goal they're trying to achieve on the server via reforms (ie more PvP, more CRP, easier offence, etc.)

2 hours ago, MisterBlitzkrieg said:

The brain rot of the LOTC community finds new ways to impress me every time. "YES!!! Let's find ways to make the server more boring so that I, the objectively main character of this pixel game, can romance rp with my 16-year-old elven waifu in peace!!!!!". Holy shit y'all are pathetic goddamn. If you really want warnings before a raid shows up, put actual players in watchtowers or outposts to act as scouts. Use actual players to patrol your lands and roads so that you have a better chance of spotting raids or bandit parties before they descend upon people. Ring your bells. 

As kazoo said, THE ONLY people that want these kinds of systems are settlements and nations that are either too weak, have an ego bigger than Icarus, and cocky places that need ways to validate their "big and strong great power" rp while in reality, they aren't really a great power since they cant even deal with a bandit group of five people without a warning before hand LOL. 

Then there's the fact that this warning will just kill conflict roleplay. People will log off after the notice has been given or close to when the raiders are allowed to roll up and raid. If not then it will just lead to banditry/raiding being a viable form of roleplay anymore since nations and settlements will make sure to rally before, maybe even bringing in other nations not related to the raid just so they can tip the scale of power and all get clicks. 

Several layers of cap here

We had raid warnings on Atlas on a highly intense and regular basis (while they were a thing) where they were contested on several occasions.

Also talking about nation rpers like they don't say the exact same about pvpers is lol

What are repercussions for everyone in your city logging off when a raid is declared on you?

Will anything be in effect to stop high profile targets from logging off or switching persona when a raid is declared?

Should you implement this system I urge you to implement it alongside the current one. Declared raids for guaranteed pvp with big fights, undeclared raids it's up to the defenders to pick what they want.

This should mean that pvpers will always declare their raids as they are looking for fights, while not stepping on the toes of people who raid for the roleplay implications of for example capturing certain individuals.

6 hours ago, Jihnyny said:

"I believe that PvP raids should be announced but not an hour before, more like six"

Six isn't enough, probably 24 hours. PvP is too easy

On 8/30/2023 at 12:53 PM, Benleft said:

Raiders are truly the most productive and the most oppressed roleplayers on the Lord of the Craft, the premium raiding experience. 

Ah yes, snarky comments. The weapon of choice. I don't see how snarky comments have any merit against a group of players the story team barely provides roleplay to. I've barely noticed their effect in the last months of the server, with much of the bigger event/lore team storylines basically been cliffhanged in favor of small group-focused events. So it happens most of those groups are the friends&family of the story team. But RP is priority isn't it?

💅

On 8/30/2023 at 3:26 PM, Tide1 said:

What are repercussions for everyone in your city logging off when a raid is declared on you?

Will anything be in effect to stop high profile targets from logging off or switching persona when a raid is declared?

Should you implement this system I urge you to implement it alongside the current one. Declared raids for guaranteed pvp with big fights, undeclared raids it's up to the defenders to pick what they want.

This should mean that pvpers will always declare their raids as they are looking for fights, while not stepping on the toes of people who raid for the roleplay implications of for example capturing certain individuals.

I'd assume knowing a raid is coming and logging off to avoid it would be grounds for combat-logging (without reason- if someone has to dip to eat dinner or go to work, I'd hope that'd be okay). If you look at some war raid rules that occurred in Almaris- people would actually rally up for a fight. While it isn't much different than just having a skirmish (besides bragging rights)- it at least makes it so cities and nations aren't being raided at 10-11 PM at night just for some poor fleepers to have to do capture RP for 2 hours without possibly having a defence. It worked for war raids last map I don't see why it wouldn't here with proper observation.

1 hour ago, Shmeepicus said:

I'd assume knowing a raid is coming and logging off to avoid it would be grounds for combat-logging

No you would be allowed to log off or go somewhere else before it starts with zero reprecussion. I do not want to see "Hey you now have to be on the server for at least an hour gg have fun" 

Mayhaps keep current system for smaller raids and then in war or otherwise for large raids with X amount of people use 1 hr warning system. Perhaps make raid tools only usable for large raids w 1 hr warning? And make these large raids pvp only.

How it worked on [redacted] was cool. You get a 1 hr warning in game and via a discord ping or smthn. Then pvp starts as soon as the 1 hr is over - all the raids i partook in 'started' before they started attacking the city, giving the opposing forces time to rally and sally out, maybe ambush the attackers on their way to the city. or it gives opposing forces time to defend the walls, as the attackers could get up on the walls with raid ladders or w/e

15 hours ago, Spoopy_Duck said:

No you would be allowed to log off or go somewhere else before it starts with zero reprecussion. I do not want to see "Hey you now have to be on the server for at least an hour gg have fun" 

In that case- if you have an answer, I would also be curious to know what attempts Moderation would make to prevent settlements from just logging off or clearing out as soon as they get a raid notice. I know some settlements enjoy the Pv- I mean MRP they get and would be more than willing to stay for a fight. However I'd agree that raids would then need some form of IRP knowledge- or clearing out could be considered metagaming, no? Something akin to the watchtower thing that was mentioned earlier. Is there a possibility of a command being able to be made? E.g. I am in a raiding party about to raid Haense. Perhaps there is the possibility of a command where you'd type /raid Kingdom_of_Haense or the realm name, and anyone apart of that realm in the realm plugin gets a notification in their chat bar, mentioning a raiding force being spotted on the Kingdom's border or some sense. I'm not super tech savvy so I'm not sure how feasible that is, just a thought though.

20 minutes ago, Shmeepicus said:

In that case- if you have an answer, I would also be curious to know what attempts Moderation would make to prevent settlements from just logging off or clearing out as soon as they get a raid notice. I know some settlements enjoy the Pv- I mean MRP they get and would be more than willing to stay for a fight. However I'd agree that raids would then need some form of IRP knowledge- or clearing out could be considered metagaming, no? Something akin to the watchtower thing that was mentioned earlier. Is there a possibility of a command being able to be made? E.g. I am in a raiding party about to raid Haense. Perhaps there is the possibility of a command where you'd type /raid Kingdom_of_Haense or the realm name, and anyone apart of that realm in the realm plugin gets a notification in their chat bar, mentioning a raiding force being spotted on the Kingdom's border or some sense. I'm not super tech savvy so I'm not sure how feasible that is, just a thought though.

I am not the tech so I cannot speak fully but 60th has been willing to code a basically raid req of sorts that would give the prior notification in some factor possibly similar to how the bells already function.

Forgot to address first part, but basically the idea above addresses that where the players will have some way of knowing. Could be as simple as the plugin just has flavor text when a ping is made that scouts spot an enemy or something.

27 minutes ago, Spoopy_Duck said:

I am not the tech so I cannot speak fully but 60th has been willing to code a basically raid req of sorts that would give the prior notification in some factor possibly similar to how the bells already function.

Forgot to address first part, but basically the idea above addresses that where the players will have some way of knowing. Could be as simple as the plugin just has flavor text when a ping is made that scouts spot an enemy or something.

Exactly what I was looking to hear, thanks Spoopy!

Maybe have there be some kind of roll chance for whether or not the raid is announced. RP reasoning being that there are watchtowers in and around the realm and sometimes these watchtowers catch sight of the raiders however sometimes maybe not (partially inspired by @Javert).