The Edelweiss

ClatterCake

6VJz9XS5EXKLxrb2SycAJr0v8npvgDIHkzfSfAVyM_amZk71gDr13wqoOtI1_-0ZZxE2Fh-rlcxqEMkQhKQR4jITSMMHdD2jFclouDNG1WNLp-9po81Eo_VqJSrTzLp1sYpLseq0XOml4z49AcD0ye8

-Lbqf8w-wz8AAFQVgM6Wd51QcAQ-6BwcD6pJx80fkj2Ei-n6n04e94xfpsRMFT7Li497zYKkFXINGcpJLkq2yd_PRK9mRyMmWSRxSCqAIfmTZ5NOhzq6_8SzyUk-cJEoyjA4r_yFuJg9Dk_6ZBXe4to

Spoiler

The chilling wind bit at the boy’s arms as his hands rested against the cold stone of Novkursain’s stone walls.  From the roof garden, Mikhail spent much of the night staring at the stars, pondering the different stages of his life.  He was born with neither riches, nor prestige, or those who he could truly call family.  Ratibor, the late highwayman, was his father - a man of little intellect and even lesser humanity, had abandoned his son early on in his life to fend for himself against the harsh reality of the world.  Starvation, disease, and violence were all that the Haeseni boy knew.  He had understood so little of the world around him, save for one thing; death came for all.  This simple, inescapable destiny had shaped his character far more than any being had done in his life, save for one: Rosalind Weiss.  Life was fragile, even fleeting for the descendants of Horen, and all it took was a single blink of the eye for one to meet the end of their journey.  Mikhail savored every bit of joy that he could take hold of, having come to terms with his mortality at a young age; when one is forced to face such hardships, it was always the choice between sinking or swimming.

Mikhail turned his green hues to the courtyard below, examining the earth below as he pondered further than his own journey.  He thought back to the time before he had been blessed with his first breath by GODAN, before even Ratibor, or his father before him.  To the very roots of the Highlanders did he explore in his mind, when the Raevir first settled in Hanseti, did he fall back to.  Where were his origins?  Who were his people?  Was he of the blood of ancient Raevir?  Did he perhaps descend from some long-lost house of noble renown, disgraced into a state of complete destruction, or was he always of common stock?  His brow furrowed and his mind rushed at the crisis that had taken hold of his thoughts.  His fingers clutched against the masonry resting beneath his hands.  He had wondered, perhaps for the first time in his life, just who he was and where his destiny had lied.  A commoner, having fallen in love with a noble girl of reputable renown, and now seeking squireship; where did he belong, as GODAN had intended?

As his eyes rose to the natural bridge of the Weiss’s estate, just beyond their gates, his thoughts shifted to Ratibor.  The brigand met his end at the hands of Haeseni justice, a victim to his own crimes, for he had sealed his fate by tying the noose around his own neck.  Why did he choose to lead a life of such villainy and dishonor?  Was Mikhail tied to this fate, whether or not he did his best to escape from it?  He held no love for his father, having watched his death as another blurred face in the crowd that gathered for his execution, along with the other miserable scum that had taken innocent blood for coin.  His heart rushed at the memory that had once caused him no pain - would he only fall prey to it eventually?  Audo had taught him of the constellations, of the meaning of the Drake, and how it resembled betrayal.  Was he truly nothing more than a criminal’s son, fated to meet a criminal’s just end?

It was then, that in his faltering state, that his eyes rose to the stars above him; a starry night, just like the one when he was little.  There were many, for every day was accompanied with the veil of black, but one in particular had remained with him.  In the winter of Valdev, in the bleakest of nights, the boy did his best to fall asleep against the raging cold.  It was not until the resonating sound of a piano had echoed throughout the night, offering him a tune to lure him into a deep slumber, and to push on.  That night, deep down in his heart, he believed it had been Rosalind within the gardens of Valdev’s palace.  GODAN had set him on this path, not because he was destined to become a knight, not because he was fated to live the life of a criminal, or to even fall in love with the Weiss girl.  It was because GODAN had gifted him with the greatest blessing of all: a chance.  A chance at a better life.

As he returned to the cold air of Novkursain, his stance straightened out, and the intensity of his hands finally melted away with peace of mind.  It mattered not if he was from a long, hidden line of nobles, or a singular being in a sea of commoners, or even the son of a criminal.  The path before him had all been paved by the choices that he had made - the routes that had appeared only did so because of those he had associated with.  The Weiss gave him all he needed to succeed where he placed his ambitions, if only he would pay the price of blood and sweat.  His blood, as he had decided at that moment, mattered little if it was blue or red, for his was the blood of Highlanders.  For himself, for Rosalind, for Weiss, the people of Haense, and for the Crown, he would do his best to uphold the righteous values of his people.

The boy had become a man.  And thus, the new chapter had begun…

Krusae Zwy Kongzem.

Spoiler

For those reading this, thank you for taking the time to do so, and enduring my subpar writing skills!  When I returned to LoTC, I wasn't really sure if I was going to enjoy it or not, after having run into a few issues here or there that led me to doing so.  This time, however, I've really come to enjoy my time, despite how short it has been!  I wanted to give a special thanks to @SethWolf@CyyanTea@erictafoya@Bethinwonderland@sarahbarah@Frostdrop1@ItsMisterPip@CasChaos and many others for the wonderful roleplay opportunities you have given me!  And I'd like to give an ever bigger thanks to @Xx_BloodStalk_xX for having introduced me to the server originally in the first place, giving me a crippling addiction to Roblox roleplay.  You're an *******, man.

Here's to a new chapter in Mikhail var Ratibor's life!  I look forward to seeing what comes of it!

Edited by ClatterCake
Totally didn't forget the music.

Somewhere, a once common-born Knight Paramount was keeping curious track of the aspirant.

A known heart, once broken, relished in their new found love and began the tedious process of putting itself back together. Alas, such a feat was made easier with the presence of her lover, common or not it did not matter. He was Mikhail, that was all she needed.