[✗] [Admendment] Voidal Poisoning Armarments Clarification

Lusus

Voidal Poisoning Armaments Redline Clarification/Addition:

BEFORE

Spoiler

- Mages must emote exhaustion properly and reasonably. Over exerting oneself in a fight will tire them out much faster than a non-mage. 

- Mages must emote weight properly and reasonably. Though a mage could use heavy equipment, it would tire them out faster than a non-mage.

- Mages do not lose large amounts of muscle muscle, however, they cannot get fit due to the restrictions of voidal poisoning and their dedication to void magic.

- Lesser enchantments, given their minute effect, have enough latent energies from their managem to activate without the "jumpstart" - inflicting no Enchanter's Sickness.

AFTER

Spoiler

- Mages must emote exhaustion properly and reasonably. Over exerting oneself in a fight will tire them out much faster than a non-mage. 

- Mages must emote weight properly and reasonably. Though a mage could use heavy equipment, it would tire them out faster than a non-mage.

- Mages do not lose large amounts of muscle muscle, however, they cannot get fit due to the restrictions of voidal poisoning and their dedication to void magic.

- Mages are still capable of effectively wielding weapons requiring only one hand, such as a rapier, long sword, or sling in combat.

- Mages lack the raw strength and stamina required to effectively handle the weight or required force of two handed weapons like a Greatsword, spear, longbow, or heavy cross bow.

- Lesser enchantments, given their minute effect, have enough latent energies from their managem to activate without the "jumpstart" - inflicting no Enchanter's Sickness.

PURPOSE

Voidal poisoning needs more specific clarification, this red line about what is and isn’t possible for a mage to use in combat and still be effective should help.

Why would voidal mages be able to wield entire longswords in one hand but be unable to use low-power ranged weapons like hand crossbows and shortbows?

Arbalests and Crank Crossbows also have firing mechanisms which don't rely on physical strength at all (you could make the argument voidal mages don't have the endurance to wind them up though.)

In my opinion, neither longswords nor spears should be allowed to be used by a fully voidal poisoned mage due to the fact they can be two handed weapons. Shortswords, rapiers, and other only one handed weapons should be the limit to their abilities

6 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

In my opinion, neither longswords nor spears should be allowed to be used by a fully voidal poisoned mage due to the fact they can be two handed weapons. Shortswords, rapiers, and other only one handed weapons should be the limit to their abilities

A longsword and a rapier weigh almost the same. Both can be used in one hand. I don't really see the logic in saying a rapier is usable, while a longsword isn't, despite them weighing the same on the idea that "They can be used two handed". A rapier can be held in two hands as well, you can use anything with two hands. It's arbitrary and doesn't really offer any better balance imo.

6 hours ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Spears def require 2 hands, longswords are about the same

A Spear weighs between 3-6 pounds, a longsword is typically 3 pounds. A longsword CAN be used in two hands but is not required to be.

6 hours ago, ClassyDryad said:

Why would voidal mages be able to wield entire longswords in one hand but be unable to use low-power ranged weapons like hand crossbows and shortbows?

Arbalests and Crank Crossbows also have firing mechanisms which don't rely on physical strength at all (you could make the argument voidal mages don't have the endurance to wind them up though.)

I've edited the post to be more clear for these concerns however I think many have confused the longsword with it's cousin, the greatsword.

A longsword, hand and a half sword, bastard sword, arming sword, etc. are all typically in the 1.5kg/3lbs weight range, and are not separated by such weight- nor are they any more or less effective than each-other in combat. They look like they should weight differently- but a Rapier has much more mass added to the hilt to balance it's long thin blade and give it a more effective guard, resulting in it's overall weight being the same as a longsword- if not arguably heavier in some cases at 2kg/4 pounds total. Note that these are all still capable of being used in one hand, thus falling under the current lore for mages as "usable".

If you would like to see changes to voidal lore to actually alter what a mage can and cannot use, I would be happy to help with that- however this submission is specifically a clarification, not a change. So I cannot restrict or unrestrict mages beyond what they're currently allowed in the somewhat vague connection lore. I'm merely making it clear that yes, a mage can effectively use a weapon if it can be wielded in one hand, and no, a weapon that needs two hands is not effective for a mage, regardless of realism or personal preference.

I would suggest a change to voidal poisoning entirely to be submitted with something like this:

BEFORE

Spoiler

AFTER

Spoiler

- A mage can effectively use a cut or thrusting blade against material or protection weaker than Ferrum, with any weapon as light as steel.
- A mage cannot effectively: exert the force required for a blunt strike, draw back a heavy bow, or muster the stamina to use a crank crossbow.

PURPOSE
Mages can currently use any kind of "one handed weapon" and this is far too vague and contradictory, and does not take into account the weight or power of the materials used in the weapon's creation. This change allows mages to use most weapons they could arguably use before, but specifically prevents a mage from using the tools effective against armor so as to allow martial characters the ability to shine in battle while preventing mages physically defeating a prepared martial without the Scion feat.

Stay strong! I hope some positive change comes from this! Down with the disabled voidal user.

Spoiler

Personally I think its insane (outside of Voidstalking) to say they're so weak they can't wield most weapons (and armor tbh), instead of just giving them a strength rating like everything else has. Everyone knows an Orc is stronger than a human (generally speaking) so why not say something like voidal users have goblin or halfling strength for example or something. The way I see it, the limitations on magic users are a product of lazy moderation and lack of interest in proper moderation. Instead of just regulating the rules, they'd rather entirely cast them out to save themselves time, which I can understand, but it is absolutely detrimental to the fantasy world. As a whole the focus on rules and redlines is a killer to all story generally speaking and creates an environment centered around min maxing.

16 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

16 hours ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Spears def require 2 hands, longswords are about the same

Tbh I think them being able to use spears wouldn't be too crazy. 

6 hours ago, Tabby64 said:

Tbh I think them being able to use spears wouldn't be too crazy. 

16 hours ago, Lusus said:

A longsword and a rapier weigh almost the same. Both can be used in one hand. I don't really see the logic in saying a rapier is usable, while a longsword isn't, despite them weighing the same on the idea that "They can be used two handed". A rapier can be held in two hands as well, you can use anything with two hands. It's arbitrary and doesn't really offer any better balance imo.

A Spear weighs between 3-6 pounds, a longsword is typically 3 pounds. A longsword CAN be used in two hands but is not required to be.

I've edited the post to be more clear for these concerns however I think many have confused the longsword with it's cousin, the greatsword.

A longsword, hand and a half sword, bastard sword, arming sword, etc. are all typically in the 1.5kg/3lbs weight range, and are not separated by such weight- nor are they any more or less effective than each-other in combat. They look like they should weight differently- but a Rapier has much more mass added to the hilt to balance it's long thin blade and give it a more effective guard, resulting in it's overall weight being the same as a longsword- if not arguably heavier in some cases at 2kg/4 pounds total. Note that these are all still capable of being used in one hand, thus falling under the current lore for mages as "usable".

If you would like to see changes to voidal lore to actually alter what a mage can and cannot use, I would be happy to help with that- however this submission is specifically a clarification, not a change. So I cannot restrict or unrestrict mages beyond what they're currently allowed in the somewhat vague connection lore. I'm merely making it clear that yes, a mage can effectively use a weapon if it can be wielded in one hand, and no, a weapon that needs two hands is not effective for a mage, regardless of realism or personal preference.

I would suggest a change to voidal poisoning entirely to be submitted with something like this:

BEFORE

Reveal hidden contents

AFTER

Reveal hidden contents

- A mage can effectively use a cut or thrusting blade against material or protection weaker than Ferrum, with any weapon as light as steel.
- A mage cannot effectively: exert the force required for a blunt strike, draw back a heavy bow, or muster the stamina to use a crank crossbow.

PURPOSE
Mages can currently use any kind of "one handed weapon" and this is far too vague and contradictory, and does not take into account the weight or power of the materials used in the weapon's creation. This change allows mages to use most weapons they could arguably use before, but specifically prevents a mage from using the tools effective against armor so as to allow martial characters the ability to shine in battle while preventing mages physically defeating a prepared martial without the Scion feat.

This is just from my own personal experience- I'm apart of my state's swordfighting guild, it's almost impossible to use a spear with one hand unless you mean to throw it. It just doesn't work. Similarly, you can hold a longsword with one hand, but because it is long (and thus heavier), holding it in one hand and then trying to use it will hurt your wrist really bad whilst trying to fight with it (alongside doing very little in terms of force).

2 hours ago, TreeSmoothie said:

This is just from my own personal experience- I'm apart of my state's swordfighting guild, it's almost impossible to use a spear with one hand unless you mean to throw it. It just doesn't work. Similarly, you can hold a longsword with one hand, but because it is long (and thus heavier), holding it in one hand and then trying to use it will hurt your wrist really bad whilst trying to fight with it (alongside doing very little in terms of force).

Are you sure we're on the same page? The nomenclature of swords are often vague, wide, and differ. I think you're thinking about greatswords or zweihanders. The average longsword is only three pounds, and can vary wildly in size and shape as stated here:

Even beyond realism. What tactical advantages do "longswords" have over the rapier and bastard/hand and a half sword (another name for one-handed longswords) that would require "two handed longswords" be specifically restricted from use by mages in crp?

10 hours ago, TreeSmoothie said:

I meant just let them use two hands for a spear. U silly goose

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.