The Flamefare Rites | House Galbraith

TreeSmoothie

Spoiler

XG2ioMDZgFmNkCn51MLqZiXvFQss2xyDZ0-sXe3CyOWHaGBUF-6ZGuJ4LdlzIUCNK1braHLHg4YzDEL6lBPKQZvpVBqwtUak3xMTtS68ET-b9Blegk0qYATqYjQwWJWJNbXNXhKFSv0juIG0fHGSRaY

The Barony of Cascanova announces the death of his lordship, Alfonso Darius Galbraith. Perpetrated by an unknown, now deceased, culprit, our beloved son will be cremated at dawn, his ashes to be used in all three crematorial rites. May his life be remembered as what sprung these traditions forth, and never be his killer recalled nor cherished. Long may his spirit live in tandem with Godani, a martyr to Balian and House Galbraith.

K-NoQbC359AoEe4Hcp11NwHFMzM0ZGgB5FYDyXth67r9oqavFJMXZ-fzUqXwTKL7XPJWnFIYczf_cdIxHXHJjc-YQOCCKYZcK08q2txmzd0IFl1iph8LIrMIL6quk62LyCY6lSsCzw1i4sb6gDQKrfc

W_7i6BPGjXFRBGZeisXTNCNVFfuVbvSNV9IzxKR6EGIdaKV4W4Jg1SxxAMEk9AJx9KVUEu77Fd8v7aoOZQdHUxakCY2Tp127qfdx-yQ5Ed67iFI9c3MzlTB2-VJkGPjpwGOpmjztW_6hNnEIT19HSN0

C85vi_0TAl7XcuPCWP5E4TGmT5bDxutq2hbVUmFy-mtbQISY6BUAPyVm0I3nF_s1Q5lvQKLmZl3fSiMBTkjuZJJDS36ftd8cUnddTTmqGZktsoqjdHMVvKOY3xhnyEVfA_Uqt4og3UmCUv5LzcwGbZw

ISCSg2vW7hPzxrMncryImIWUlYbV895rnhLIag2Z5rmzoedFW0JJyjw59ffW26ZzlVgY-vj-JREJwTzBDWaf18pgTzVuxopF_By9ceGRj-oFX4rK8mg-O1IcbA9_l2KNMWKPKAAJdn8xn9qRI3yTnWM

Alfonso Galbraith’s urn, decorated with a duck.

The first of three rites, utilizing a standard cremation ceremony of burning the deceased’s earthly body into ethereal ash. Since the ashes are only made for collection, purity of the ash isn’t as considered, and thus they’re often sent away with prized possessions and their finest garb, alongside whatever else might be important to the individual. After the ashes are collected, a special vase is made detailing their life – battles, a specific scene, and other imagery. In the case of the death of the child, something important to them like an animal is used instead. Such vases are first built from metal, then lined with clay, to ensure the urn cannot be shattered.

LKzjFBVQSw_KBeYxv2a-oqKu_ZJprVaFGYsSC3HSlfR2EUgkXIKd8NS5pqV5bHjGggqI2364fp4n_frZGjoVGI6aIToLrpnDMZOPkNaZYXF4R_nL4LL-t26EkRTY9Nx9tEvRgkOzHof4noFjhk8-I1Y

MoP4nJOKCT9yf86kZVuQK9p9wxyacHsf2Cp4uTAVzsvVB_u-zp2Q9sp0XOmeaFPbybA9odkLu3uLbUpXlANNdc50c7y-m2rKcut-9BNZnq7a3OEc3D1JxhgU_W776-FKP-_MJUWhHSzTP-8N4sRpldI

A blade forged from Alfonso Galbraith’s ash.

A tradition reserved for those who perished wielding a weapon, fighting until their dying breath. By siphoning blood out of the individual and burning them with only their body, the blood can be boiled over for traces of iron and carbon from the ash, alloying it with other metals to forge a blade that contains the deceased. Though these are often only used as display, some – such as those of especially great combative skill – are brought into battle with hopes of the ancestor’s blessing.

C5nCXkOxJNzf5s1-l8h0FP9ZZWoGOiVqXrCx4dEmmvlliVLmBxBS0MzvA1VrU2L08lgqU6WWYRp81ZkmnVoO46R6-9tTWZfNru4kRoEoDim7LBV_x8r6sDbU7dMO6Usajn7LLRvqOhgZTTeGCCw_DlU

dX1CUKtUW2tmRT0I0I82dpNibv-e9-F44C0ahTY-5YT5_Cj4pVmZx33ecSugulsxRro6VGM4vwdbrV_8lCzP2XtmZHNG3x2rH5lsNtF2nJUNdNPoqoGR2PDEnD_Ei1lXq0LJNTsa9cuWuf_JrQfWYSs

A statue of Alfonso Galbraith, wearing Balianese Armada plate.

Reserved for statesmen, diplomats, and those whose influence touched the realm beyond the Barony’s walls, the Effigy of the Eternal rite involves burning the individual’s body alone for pure ash. After going through a sieve to further remove impurities, the remains are processed and added to water to become a paste, which is then applied over a statue of the deceased’s likeness. The resulting color is typically a dull gray or tan, though the more ash there is, the lighter and, uniquely, bluer this pigment becomes. As a result, children’s statues are smaller and darker.

K-NoQbC359AoEe4Hcp11NwHFMzM0ZGgB5FYDyXth67r9oqavFJMXZ-fzUqXwTKL7XPJWnFIYczf_cdIxHXHJjc-YQOCCKYZcK08q2txmzd0IFl1iph8LIrMIL6quk62LyCY6lSsCzw1i4sb6gDQKrfc

Alfonso’s legacy will be remembered for generations to come – the same cannot be said of his darkspawn assailant. Let me tell you now, maleficar; I will put the fear of Godani into you.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Signed,

His Excellency, John Augustus Galbraith, Baron of Cascanova, Patriarches de Galbraith, Ward of the King, Secretary of Diplomatic Affairs, Royal Legate.

Maeve could not read much, being only 10 years old and some of the words were far to big for her mind to comprehend, but she read it as it was sent out and her found the first words clear as day. The little girl curled up into a corner of Hyspia sobbing to herself. Her twin brother, her closest family member. The one who was with her through all of her shenagians... had died. Maeve, for the first time in her life, felt truly empty and she could not continue to smile like she had in the past.

Rhys had sat under a tree, John in his arms, comforting the man just hours before. As he looked over the notice, he couldn't help but mourn the loss of the child who had not been his by blood, but was damn near close enough. 

Lucia, Princess of Hyspiahad mourned her son's passing so very deeply; Yet she continued with her duties, serving her family's kingdom and its people, hiding her emotions as best she could manage, and caring for her children. Often had she hidden away in the various canals of Balian, or the back alleys of Hyspia to quietly shed her tears away from those she served, begging unseen forces for her departed Alfonso back, searching desperately for answers.

"Alfonso"
Ipera mutters to herself, now truly missing her bright nephew. Her eyes sometimes having tears at the thought of her favorite nephew. Her thoughts drag off into her thoughts to Alfonso and maybe dragging him somewhere else. But no one can never stop the cannon event.

Katherine was never fond of Alfonso in life.

He was rude, abrasive, threw rocks at her. 

But with him gone... It's not the same. It'll never be the same again. And she can't do anything to fix it. 

----

----

Mother above, Syd really hopes what he's asking isn't taking advantage of John's grief. He knows it's a lot. 

But he may be the only one crazy enough to ask, and John might be the only crazy enough to answer.