THE REINMAREN MARCH

It was twenty years ago when my dear friend, the Princess Aleksandra von Merryweather visited the courts of Kanunsberg. She was worried; she knew her life was in danger, and she knew if she did not sow the seed of a rebellion, Aaun would have ceased to be. She had understood all too well what the Stassionites were up to. She saw their schemes, their likeness to an Empire her forefathers destroyed, and she sensed the danger.

The Crown of Aaun, at the time under the influence of a regency during the reign of Edmund II, was deaf to her concerns. They did not see the evil they harbored so close to the heart of the realm, and Aleksandra was deemed foolish and lunatic. They stripped her of any power, jailed her, and forced her children to flee. She managed to make it back to Valdev safely, while the Queen mother of Aaun remained locked in the hand of Horen.

A sense of bitterness had loomed over my soul. I knew they were wrong, I knew them to be a threat. But what could I do, if not sit and watch as any opposers were imprisoned? Perhaps, the good Prince Heinrich, may GOD keep him in the afterlife, was at fault too. He had never been the best of the husbands, and maybe, had he not decided to launch a coup on the regency council (which, by no doubt, led to this very war) then much pain could have been spared. 

But I do not forgive, and I do not forget, and while I sat behind ivory walls, looking after my people for the most time, I decided that shall be no more. The Princes of Nowhere deserve not to live, and with my spear in hand I shall march over their soulless lands. Stassion, as Bishop Callahan put it, could never be the Holy Orenian Empire. For they’re not Holy, not Orenian, nor Emperors.They are greedy humans who fell as low as backstabbing any who granted them the benefit of the doubt.

Their destruction should have happened years ago, under the leadership of Princess Aleksansra. But it is better late than never. May God show him mercy, for I will not, I cannot.  

For God, Aleksandra and the Bishop.