Economy and Plugins

Caravaggio

Feel free to mock me for being an oldhead complaining about the good old days, but I do want to gripe a bit about the modern server economy, or rather the lack thereof. While I understand that not everyone enjoys mining, gathering, and so-on, the current node based system of gathering resources has its own drawbacks as well. A nation/realm's economic output is now entirely a numbers game - how many mines can you access, how many people can you get to log on and actually click nodes once every 15 minutes so that you can craft sets of armor. This system requires less grinding on the individual for resources, but also means that a small nation cannot match a larger nation in terms of economic output - in the days of Nexus, one or two high level miners could completely carry their nation by actively breaking blocks in the mining world. This allowed smaller nations the ability to have some increase in their economic activity by the dedication of a few gatherers rather than relying on the size of their nation and their citizens to go click nodes. 

Likewise, crafting professions meant that there was a high turnover for crafted gear - you had to make items to level up, and better quality armor required more crafting. High level crafters were necessary for success in warclaims and raiding, and prevented suits of armor from being spammed. All of this combined with the presence of auction houses created trade networks, international economies, and local economies which made the roleplay aspects of being a crafter, gatherer, or merchant appealing and engaging. There was always an incentive to log in and be active as a player because you could work on your skills if RP was slow or unavailable in your town due to it being off-peak hours.

It feels lately like LotC has been on a continuing path of removing elements of the core gameplay loop that makes Minecraft what it is. Mining and crafting are the cornerstones of the game. I think it's healthy to discuss the current system's drawbacks from the perspective of not only mechanical but roleplay benefits. One argument I have regularly heard from players is that the removal of these mechanics promotes roleplay and increases this emphasis. However, I think one neglects to consider the opposite - by eliminating mining/gathering and crafting professions, one also eliminates the ability to have a character's professions represented mechanically. In the days of Nexus, being a farmer was an important job - you couldn't successfully harvest wheat and pumpkins unless you had sufficient farming level. Nowadays anyone can walk into a farm and harvest everything. Everyone can craft their own weapons, armor, etc. without any need to actually go to a blacksmith's shop or visit the local tavern for food. The reality of the lack of such systems is that without a mechanical barrier to access, people can and will have their characters' RP curtailed by others.

I am not saying that we need to revert to Nexus by a long shot, but I think the conversation really needs to be held. LotC used to stand out by having an incredibly innovative set of plugins that served to enhance the vanilla Minecraft experience and promote roleplay. The current state of the server feels to be one which places a great deal of restriction on the Minecraft experience at the detriment of roleplay.

Additionally, I had originally intended to post this in Server Discussion - I decided to post it here as I think some people may have strong opinions on the topic and want to contain things to an extent.

can we have the auction house back pretty please with a cherry on top

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

can we have the auction house back pretty please with a cherry on top

FLESH EATING TERMITES!!!!!! ATTACK!!!!!! ATTACK NOW!!!!!

The auction house made way more sense when the server's economy revolved around more than just CRP / player edited items. People used to just sell stacks of iron blocks because you needed those to do blacksmithing. Not saying we need the exact same system but it would be nice to have professions of some description back to at least limit what minecraft items you could craft. Markets and stores were WAY more important back in the day because you couldn't get everything yourself. 

Was promised a plugin to replace nexus, it was the only reason why a lot of players were fine with it getting axed. Instead we got nothing but some halfway plugins that were usually broken and removed within the same year.

On 1/25/2024 at 10:33 AM, Caravaggio said:

The auction house made way more sense when the server's economy revolved around more than just CRP / player edited items. People used to just sell stacks of iron blocks because you needed those to do blacksmithing. Not saying we need the exact same system but it would be nice to have professions of some description back to at least limit what minecraft items you could craft. Markets and stores were WAY more important back in the day because you couldn't get everything yourself. 

i unironically miss nexus