A Conversation Between a Shadow and a Caged Lion

ellielove15

A Conversation Between a Shadow and a Caged Lion

Elena's eyes dragged themselves open to gusts of bitter wind, taken prisoner on the back of  her captor's horse. She couldn't feel or move her right forearm, a series of loose bandages around a mesh of broken bones and twisted metal. One of her knees didn't bend quite the right way. She felt the steed she was placed upon grind to a halt before a hastily constructed fort surrounded by a field of white snow. She would see familiar black banners strewn about the wooden walls. After some small talk between those that laid outside and those within the wooden barricade, the gate screeched as it was slowly pulled open. 

frozen_prison_by_aznkyuubi_d652one-414w-2x.thumb.jpg.030b47fe476b57e93079be090e9fa6e7.jpg

Art by AznKyuubi on DeviantArt

Elena was soon put in a cramped, cold cage. The cages were all set in the open wintry air, forcing each to be isolated and open to the harsh elements surrounding them. As the door to her new abode closed, she could hear a whisper within her mind. It beckoned her to do many dark things. She ignored it at first, seeking to speak to her fellow prisoners to get an understanding as to what was going on. The dark voice continued. She let her body exude a holy aura of golden light, putting her working hand upon her broken knee. She would speak the Litany of Sunlight as she healed herself in order to stay focused.

Lord, we are your eyes 

To traverse the unyielding Dark 

Lord, we are your hands 

To wield mists of healing renown 

Lord, we are your sword 

To strike at the vicious Night 

Lord, we are your shield 

To preserve the innocent from harm 

And Lord, we are your heart, 

To carry the Light ever on.

The Shadow hissed within her mindscape. "Words.. Nothing but.. Empty.. Words.."

"But in the end.. They all.. Beg for the Shadows.."

Elena's mists departed as the pain from her broken knee receded, the splint completed. She relaxed in a sigh of fleeting relief. Another slow dripping of whispers fell from The Shadow's maw.

"Do you think.. Yourself.. Different?"

"Your God has.. Abandoned.. You.."

She slowly pulled herself up, her broken knee finally useable again. The Knight of Xan made a small whisper to this Shadow. Her first and last direct sentence towards this entity.

"You try to toy with my mind, foul creature. Speak your foul tongue all you want. I will remain as I am. You will not claim me."

"We shall see... how long.. Your faith holds.. When you are given a choice.." The Shadow replied.

"When the lives.. Of the others.. Are held in question.."

The presence of The Shadow would drift away from her mind, leaving the Lion alone in her cage. 

ff173b6743cd9597084952ecdcd3a490.thumb.jpg.640d3fe46139b99f95109acd56c28aba.jpg

[Do Not Metagame this Information]

A Herald of Sin, stares up at those strange banners. That voice, lingering in its head.

"I am the start, I am Shadow. I am the End."

"Bring...me...more"