[✗] [Alchemy] Bottled Sunlight

Apotolofo

LET THERE BE LIGHT!

- Some canonist idk

9e483a6a4e822c1a8234d88666e20153.jpg

Bottled Sunlight (Rare | T2)

Background/Description:

Red and black banners haunted the alchemist’s dreams. Flashes of crimson lightning, and noir storm clouds gathered in the back of her mind.
She searched furiously for an answer, a way to deter those shadow walkers she so despised.

In her study, she picked up a sun shard- turning it in her fingers as she admired its glowing light. The alchemist glanced back to her desk- upon countless pages with scribbled charcoal writings.

And there, an idea was sprung.

Recipe:

Base: Oil of any kind, with 3 ground up sun shards. (Or, one lightstone.) 

Fire | Light x 2
Mundane | Strength x3
Mundane | Purity x3 
Mundane | Fear x2 

Creation:

1. First, take 3 sun shards (or Lightstone) and add it to the oil. Grind until a paint-like consistency is achieved. The oil should take on a golden glow, though no brighter than a torch.  
2. Add Purity and Fear symbols, until fully mixed. 
3. Add Fire: Light and Strength symbols. Once added, the mixture should become much brighter. Without a visor, this may temporarily blind the alchemist. After about five narrative minutes, the mixture’s light will die down.
4. Pour into a bottle, then let rest in direct sunlight for a narrative day. 

4.a Let metal soak within the mixture in direct sunlight for a narrative day. (When applicable) 

Effects:

Bottled Sunlight can be used in one of three ways: A handheld light, projectile or used to treat an object. 

Handheld: Over the course of [3] emotes, the potion may be shaken to create a bright light. Though it will not blind, the glow that radiates from the potion is pure sunlight, thus having the same effect on darkspawn as the sun does. Darkspawn would also find themselves somewhat unwilling to enter the light’s radius, both out of an innate fear and discomfort- though this feeling may be ignored with moderate willpower. 
On the third emote, the light will shine for about [3] meters in each direction. By the next emote, it will spread to have a [5] meter radius. The light will dim after [5] emotes, and must be ‘charged’ in direct sunlight for 5 emotes before being used again. 

Projectile: Upon priming, the potion may be thrown. Upon the bottle shattering, the oil will stick to any surface it lands upon. Wherever the oil hits, sunlight will radiate off of it for [3] emotes, in a [1] meter radius. (3x3 cube) It will have a splash range of a [2] meter radius.  
If the oil lands on flesh, a mere warmth will be felt. However, when it comes in contact with darkspawn, it will inflict mild burns over the course of [3] emotes.  After [3] emotes, the light will dim. 

Treated Objects: Metal items treated with Bottled Sunlight will radiate light in a ratio proportionate to size (detailed below). In addition to glowing, metal will take on the same effects on darkspawn as aurum does. This, however, will weaken the item, causing it to become slightly more susceptible to dents, bends, and similar damage. Strangely, Lunarite is immune to this effect. 

1 bottle: Can treat [3] trinkets, [3] arrows, or [1] dagger/knife. Radiates sunlight in a 1 by 1 meter cube. 
2 bottles: Can treat [1] longsword or weapon of similar size, or [1] shield. Radiates sunlight in a 3 by 3 meter cube. 
3 bottles: Can treat [1] set of armor, large net, great sword, or items of similar size. Radiates sunlight in a 5 by 5 cube. 

Redlines:

- Cannot be used to blind. During creation, black spots may stay in one’s vision for a narrative hour at most.  
- The feeling of discomfort and unwillingness darkspawn feel is not overwhelming, and may be ignored in order to stay within the light. 
- Handheld may only be used once per encounter, as it must be left to charge. 
- On non-darkspawn, the oil will not cause pain or burns. 
- The oil may be removed via water, or transferring it to another object. 
- “Darkspawn” here is defined as undead, such as darkstalkers, ghouls, ghosts, etcetera. 
- Possessed individuals (via specter lore) will not be affected by the potion. At most, both the individual and ghost will feel anxiety or discomfort. 
- Magical darkness will dim the light 1 emote faster. 
- If attempting to use the item during the day, or in daylight, nothing will happen. It must be dark for the effects to take place. 
- Using a lightstone instead of sun shards will not change the effects of the potion whatsoever, and is simply an alternative to drive roleplay and explain the inspiration for the potion. 

OOC/PURPOSE

Spoiler

My character Hera has recently gotten very involved with the Harrower event line, and I thought it would be cool to make a potion designed for dealing with things like that! I tried to make it as balanced as possible, but let me know if there is anything I can fix!

I doubt it will get accepted in time for the event line, buuut I do like the concept of it enough to try anyways. 

CREDITS: 

- @Sarven for the event line that inspired this

- @SlitheryC1 for looking over it and letting me spitball ideas at them 

- @Kanapes for also letting me spitball ideas off him lmao

was quite literally about to write the exact same potion lol  +1