The Great Quake

Wolf Druid Ouity

Event Planners, MC Names:The GM staff

Event Date: ???

Event Type: Expanding on natural landscapes.

Players/Nations effected by the event: All.

Event Location: Everywhere.

Summary: While reading through the forums yesterday, I gained the understanding that the two tallest structures on the server stand at exactly 128y, and are both trees. Now that we have the new height limit- double that of our previous, I believe we should create an event that allowes us to expand the mountains and structures we currently posess to a greater height. We cansimply copy sections of our world into a private server, make these sections (namely mountains) much bigger, and then paste it back into the same spot after much broadcasting, and RP.

Other Information: I do not expect this to happen any time in the near future, but it can be implimented any time it's conveniant for the GM's.

The Event

The ground suddenly rocks for a split second. You hardly realize it, thinking that you had lost your balance briefly, and silently promising yourself that you would go to bed sooner tonight. You continue on for another few steps, but are suddenly floored by a violent tremor, that spreads through the village like wildfire. People begin to scream from nearby houses, and one collapses, silencing the people iside. You cling to the ground desperatly, holding on for dear life, as a giant ravine tears its way through the street, destroying another building. The tremor lasts for several long minutes, fear coursing through you as you find yourself unable to move. The shock nearly overwhealms you, and you swallow your lunch several times. The quake subsides slowly, and you shakily get to your feet, surveying the damage. It's actually quite insignificant, compared to what it could have been. Throughout the rest of the day, you spend your time flinching from the aftershocks, and admiring the new scenery.

Sounds good.. but it'll need thorough planning by many many admins and gm's. It would be a great hassle to say the least and it wouldn't be another month before it's implemented :(

Sounds good.. but it'll need thorough planning by many many admins and gm's. It would be a great hassle to say the least and it wouldn't be another month before it's implemented :(

I realize that ^_^ it's just a nice suggestion to give us a realistic way to heighten the existing landscape.

So it'll be like plate movements like irl..... sounds smart! Im up for it. Can see the sand mountains coming...... and perhaps they can put some caves into mountains for people who wish to live in there or something.

The thing is that the normal level of ground is about 60-80 blocks high. So if there were mountains stretching up to 250-ish then they would look too tall and unnatural. Mountains as they are are about 100-120 blocks high so unless the normal ground level is increased by about 100 blocks too, then I can't really see the mountains going up by 150 blocks from where you're standing..

Oh.. but I still +1 :P

The thing is that the normal level of ground is about 60-80 blocks high. So if there were mountains stretching up to 250-ish then they would look too tall and unnatural. Mountains as they are are about 100-120 blocks high so unless the normal ground level is increased by about 100 blocks too, then I can't really see the mountains going up by 150 blocks from where you're standing..

Oh.. but I still +1 :P

Mount Everest - elevation (in meters):

29,028 feet (8,848 meters)

1 block= 1 meter cubed

MC Everest: 8,848 blocks high.

Definitions of "mountain" include: Height over base of at least 2,500 m (8,202 ft); Height over base of 1,500 m (4,921 ft).–2,500 m (8,202 ft).

How much high will the mountains go?180?200?250?If it goes at 180-200 it will help me tremendously.But anyway it would generally help a lot with building up there so +1 wherever they go :).

Pasting large edits back into the world will most likely require MCedit, which means we need to bring down the server for a couple of hours to send one of us GM's the map file ~

Pasting large edits back into the world will most likely require MCedit, which means we need to bring down the server for a couple of hours to send one of us GM's the map file ~

Owch, that could be an issue.

Perhaps that bit could be sorted out during the downtime the server experiences during a software update? I'm not sure of the specifics, but I'm reasonably sure you could preform that task while the server's undergong a patch, or after. Armed with the comfort of an even more dynamic landscape, I'm sure the playerbase wouldn't mind a few extra hours of downtime after a patch.

If that's not possible, we can copy/paste large sections of the world without taking it down. The Normandorians have a carbon copy of Malinor on another server, which (I believe) didn't require the server to go down. If we were to do this to applicable regions, they could be edited one at a time. One large earthquake could become many smal ones, as GMs complete work on the new mountain, make a few broadcasts, and copy it in, perhaps 2-3 a quake?