[✓] [Invention] Telescope Lore [15/15]

Space

Yes or No?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

Granted you have some lens lying around, coming up with a proof of concept for a telescope might not be all that difficult. I'm sure most people (IRL) have tried playing with the lenses of multiple pairs of glasses before at some point in their lives, it would just take an innovative Asulonian mind to follow the same idle fiddling and say "Hey! I can magnify far away things with these! Maybe I should make a tool incorporating multiple lenses!" Perfecting a telescope might be a little more difficult--i.e. correcting for aberrations, distortion, etc.--but I wouldn't think it so difficult that some tinkering couldn't work around it. Some details about how Oelilag tinkered around these difficulties might be a nice addition to the lore, but that's just my opinion.

As far as applications go, I'll pull a somewhat long-winded example I heard around campus:

In a seaport city, one could use a telescope to view incoming trade ships from far away. If a trade city expected a merchant ship to come in on a particular day, they could view the seas and look for the ship with a telescope. The telescope would allow them to see the ship farther out at sea than with the naked eye, giving them a few hours advance warning of its arrival. With this extra warning, they could prepare for its arrival--i.e. laying out some goods for trade and whatnot--and allow it reload and leave port much faster than usual. A port equipped with a telescope could hypothetically make a good deal of profit if merchants favored it due to its quick departure times. Huzzah!

Well glasses and lenses (thinking of a magnifying glass) are glass that are curved. The curve reflects the light into w center point (your eye) and that magnifies the image. So the 3 lenses thing was a crude experiment. There would be a magnification, but the magnification wouldn't be great, because of the close proximity of the lenses.

It was a proof of concept really. Wood work, but not as well as the 3-5x magnification of the telescope.

I remember seeing a large observatory on the outskirts of Al'Khazar back in Aegis- presumably such telescopes have already been in existance. I could be wrong regarding this, however.

I remember seeing a large observatory on the outskirts of Al'Khazar back in Aegis- presumably such telescopes have already been in existance. I could be wrong regarding this, however.

Yes indeed they have been long known to exists.

Yes indeed they have been long known to exists.

Oh? Could you kindly direct me to some lore for such complex devices? I haven't been able to find any.

Oh? Could you kindly direct me to some lore for such complex devices? I haven't been able to find any.

Remember how there was little lore writing in Aegis? I doubt anybody posted anything on it due to the nature of Aegis, which is why you're having difficulty recovering it.

Remember how there was little lore writing in Aegis? I doubt anybody posted anything on it due to the nature of Aegis, which is why you're having difficulty recovering it.

I wasn't here in Aegis. My post was more sarcastic. If there isnt lore for complex things like telescopes, then that mistake needs to be rectified.

I don't like this idea, it feels that LotC will start moving into steampunk.

Otherwise this idea is fantastic and it is well written. I don't mean to hate on anything written, its just my personal opinion on why I don't want telescopes.

I personally love this idea. My Characters already been experimenting with magnification via Glass, but hasn't built any Telescopes, Microscopes, or that sort of thing. It wouldn't turn LOTC Steampunk, I mean...When Galileo built the telescope, did people suddenly start building airships? No. It stayed nice and Renaissance-y. At most, it would simply provide more Information on battlefields, and add some Space and Sea lore and tech.

Also, From what I just read, OH, it has been done. Excellent!

I don't like this idea, it feels that LotC will start moving into steampunk.

Otherwise this idea is fantastic and it is well written. I don't mean to hate on anything written, its just my personal opinion on why I don't want telescopes.

We already have balloons, the invasion has started.

This looks quite awesome! Now go write out lore for star travel and make me a starmap!

I'm hoping to create a map of the stars around the moon when it is the highest.

I've followed this for quite some time now. The revisions you've made have definitely made it an invention, worthy of a grand debut in the world of Asulon!

Congratulations! The starry skies are now available to your eyes. May your mappings of the pixellated stars be fruitful!

I'm also quite glad that this new innovation isn't some weapon. If you hid any in there, I'll stamp a denial faster than you can say, "Galileo".

Waiwaitwaitwait, do I need to do something for this to be re-accepted? Or wat?