Information On Elves!

Aiden

3202_elves.0.5.3.png

Hello applicants! Do you want to play the longest lived of all the races, the elves? I hope that you do, as playing an elf can be very entertaining and it brings interesting roleplay that you probably won’t find anywhere else here on The Lord of the Craft.

BRIEF HISTORY

The first elves were born with their father as malin, the forefather of all elves. Malin was also one of the four brothers from the start of time, according to the works of the wandering wizard. When Aegis was first settled, the children of malin went deep into the forests. In these forests, they created the first language and named the things that they saw; the trees, the grass, the mountains, the valleys, etc of Aegis. When Iblees tempted the four brothers, he promised Malin many children to fill the halls of the elves, which were very empty. During the battle against the fallen Daemon, Malin fought well with his blade, landing many blows on Iblees. As the fight continued, Malin feared for the lives of his elven children and stayed in his forest sanctuaries. When Iblees was defeated, he cursed the four brothers. Instead of malin getting more children, his people were cursed with infertility so the forest sanctuaries of the elves would stay barren and near empty. The Aengul and Daemon that helped win the war only could grant Malin peace and long life for the few elvish children he would have.

SUBRACES

There are three subraces of elves.

The subrace of elf that calls trees and the forest home is the wood elf, or mali’ame. They are very in tune with nature and are very good archers. They can also blend in with their home, the forest, relatively well. They have cocoa coloured skin and brown or dirty blonde hair, which they sometimes dye green or other natural colours.Their eye colour is usually green or violet, however brown is occasionally seen.

The subrace of elf that dwells in caves are the dark elves, or mali’ker. They have gray to black skin, rarely dark blue and hair that can be pale blue, to white, to black. Their eye colour is normally blue, green, violet, or red (due to lack of pigmentation). Black eyes are possible, but they are very rare. Dark elves usually use a sword as their weapon of choice, however archery among dark elves is not uncommon, even if they are not as skilled in the art as their wood elven brothers and sisters.

The subrace of elf that lives in tall towers and in cities with a large cast-iron gate and stone walls are the high elves, or mali’aheral. They have pale skin and light blonde or platinum coloured hair. Their eye colour ranges from green to blue, and is sometimes purple. Their eye colour may get darker as they get older which is a sign of wisdom. High elves are usually more skilled in reading or writing than combat, however most high elves know how to use a sword and are commonly found with one in their homes or at their side. High Elves are the most elitist than the other elves, and have strong beliefs of purity and views that other elves might find strange, though to them it is a sort of code to live by.

THE HOLY PRINCEDOM OF MALINOR

Malinor is the nation that elves call home. There are three districts to malinor: The Wood Elven district, the high elven district, and the dark elven district.

The High Council leads Malinor, and the current High Prince is a high elf named Kolyat. The current princes and princesses are:
Princes: Oceas, Emberhard, Kolyat, and Khel.
Princesses: Rosumund.

There are also many jobs available for elves in malinor such as:

Miner
Lumberjack
Farmer
Fisherman
Builder
Sentinel ( Guard Force of malinor, and information on it can be found here: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/81877-join-the-sentinels/

)

You could also own a shop, blacksmith, tavern, etc if you get yourself a building to make it in.

The Lower Council is also a path of work that you could attempt to do. Information on the lower council can be found here:

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/80086-available-positions-on-the-councils/ and here: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/78464-a-guide-for-all-those-desiring-to-apply-for-a-lower-council-position/

Here's how you can get to malinor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SgYyBPWErIo

One would also note that most elves would live in malinor, and not with humans. Most elves in malinor refer to their brothers and sisters to live in human settlements 'humans with pointy ears'. There are cases when elves will live with humans, though the majority of elves would rather live in malinor with their kin over humans.

LANGUAGE/NAMES

The ancient elvish language was lost (and most of it still is), however the elves (mainly high elves) are working on recovering the language. A full dictionary that has every word so far can be found here: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/19254-recovering-the-ancient-tongue-of-the-elves/

However, that is very long, and most elves don’t know any more than a handful of words. So, I will list words that are commonly used when elves communicate with each other so that you can use them while roleplaying in-game. There is a physical bookworm book of the dictionary I linked above in-game, so you can roleplay it as you read the dictionary and now use the following words and terms.

Races & Subraces:

Mali - Elf

Bortu - Dwarf

Uruk - Orc

Valah - Human

Mali’aheral - A direct translation is blessed elves, however it is used to refer to high elves.

Mali’ame - Wood Elf

Mali’ker - Dark Elf

Greetings:

Karin’ayla - Used as a greeting when it is day-time.

Ker’ayla - Used as a greeting when it is night-time.

Van’ayla - Farewell, used at any time to say goodbye.

Weapons/Tools:

berr - Bow

fer’ame - Axe

fer’thuln - pickaxe

fer’nor - shovel

fer’sul - torch

fer’bilok - hammer

fer’norsae - hoe

sil - sword

ihnsil - spear

Misc Words That Are Commonly Used:

igne - Fire/War

llir - Friend

maln - father

Haelun - mother

Names

When picking out a character name, you can do two things. You can A. Use an elvish name generator from the internet or B. Use the elvish language here on LoTC to make a name for yourself out of the words that have been discovered. If you choose B, this guide here by Sporadic will help you (all credits go to him for this) http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/28394-elf-up-your-name/

Either one works, take into account who raised your character and how they did it. If your character is a pure elf and was raised in malinor, perhaps make an elvish name using he language. If they were raised by humans, perhaps use the internet-based generator.

AGING/REPRODUCTION

A common belief is that elves mature ten times slower than humans, so that a 100 year old elf would be equivalent to a 10 year old human. This, however, is incorrect. From birth until the age of 20, elves mature at the same rate as humans. Once they have reached the age of 20, their physical aging progression slows drastically, making it seem as if they aren’t aging at all. Elves are not burdened by the mortality of humans, so they can live for over 1,000 years, if they survive that long. (They can still die from an arrow, a sword, poison, drowning, burning to death, etc, just not old age until they’re extremely old). Despite this, they’re mental progression does not slow, so a younger elf would probably be wiser than the oldest human. Elves become full adults at the age of 125, Middle-age for an elf is around 500, and over 800 would be considered elderly. So, I would recommend making your elf over 125, unless you’re aiming to play a child or younger elf.

Elves can physically have children once they reach the age of 20, however this is frowned upon by older elves because 20 isn’t an adult, it would be considered a youngling. Elves must also wait 10-15 years between each child they have due to the curse of Iblees. Once an elf is over 500, it becomes even harder than before to reproduce so most elves have their children, if they choose to, before they reach this age.
When an elf is age 20-499 and is trying to have a child, I would recommend a /roll 20 then if it's over 15, you can have a child. If the character is 500+ then perhaps a /roll 60 Then if it's 50 or over the player can have a child. I recommend you do this so that the curse of Iblees is not ignored and is taken into account, because if it is not, that's not following the lore. (Which isn't good!)

Side Note: Because elves have such a long lifespan, they are generally more peaceful, as they think more before acting. They think more before they act because they know that they can die from a blade, an arrow, an axe, poison, etc.
So, most elves probably wouldn’t try to go out and pick fights, as they should know that they have a lot more of their life ahead of them, and, for example, they wouldn’t risk fighting an orc, as they might die and not get to live the rest of their long life. This is because their old age causes them to be wise, not because they fear enemies, as elves can be very good archers and swordsmen.

SUPPORT THIS GUIDE

Put this in your signature to support this guide! It will help new elves play their characters.

a6932b9c6d5035b2b0a39c9f967d4f26.png?135

[url=http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/78795-information-on-elves/]  [/url]

If you think that this is accurate, feel free to +1 it so that others know that it’s a trustworthy source.

SOURCES/CREDITS

TwilightWolf9012 - Helped with the language, common words and such.

SupremacyOps - Helped edit and revise the guide.

Jistuma - Helped edit the aging part.

Orlanden - Looked over the wood elf part for errors.

Elf Wiki Page - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=Elves

High Elf Wiki Page - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=High_Elves

Dark Elf Wiki Page - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=Dark_Elves

Wiki Page On Malin - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=Malin

Sporadic’s Dictionary - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/19254-recovering-the-ancient-tongue-of-the-elves/

A completed Support Post, I used loremaster everblue’s comments as well as various other comments: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/77096-resolved-elven-fertility-age/page__hl__fertility

*Note* This guide will be edited as time goes on. If you have something to add, do not hesitate to post a suggest or PM me an addition. If you find something that is incorrect, feel free to PM me and I’ll fix it.

Also, If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or make a comment on this topic.

This is a very very extensive and well thought out guide. Hopefully this attracts more people to the elven race as it would be very beneficial to us if we had more players. Great guide man, keep it up!

Aiden, fantastic man, put it in my sig already, I loved it, if I think of something you should add ill tell you ASAP. The only thing I could think you should add is a bit on the sentinels, as it is the most probably (According to my knowledge) the most attracting job; my verdict, awesome guide!

This guide is very helpful. There a few questions that I need answered. How long can a elf live, all the subraces aswell. When is it that a elf begins to lose their mind. What age do they begin to get the suicide feeling. These are needed for my character Kaun, maybe many other people aswell.

This guide is very helpful. There a few questions that I need answered. How long can a elf live, all the subraces aswell. When is it that a elf begins to lose their mind. What age do they begin to get the suicide feeling. These are needed for my character Kaun, maybe many other people aswell.

This is a tough question, but I talked with some other malinorian elves and I would say that an elf would be able to live over 1,000 years, however you must take their backstory into account. If they, for example, had loved one's that had died, they would probably loose the will to live sooner than another elf, which ties in with suicidal feelings and when they loose their minds. I would say that an elf would begin to loose their mind at age 1,000, and it would get worse as time goes on. Elves might also go insane/have suicidal feeling because the world might seem to be repetitive to an elf that old, as it would probably seem to them that wars are fought for the same reasons every century, or that humans/orcs will always attack your characters home when a new leader comes in, and the treaty your people worked so hard for is now nullified.. Things like that might cause these kinds of thoughts.

Note: This is our opinions, as elves in game, as to what the answer to your question would be. You could always PM a loremaster for confirmation if you want, as their answer might be different.

I think you should insist strongly upon the fact that elves are not Humans with pointy ears, but more like druids without their magic.

Something many seem to missunderstand.

I find it rather sad to see so many elves act like humans when most of them shouldn't at all act like that.

I think you should insist strongly upon the fact that elves are not Humans with pointy ears, but more like druids without their magic.

Something many seem to missunderstand.

I find it rather sad to see so many elves act like humans when most of them shouldn't at all act like that.

I completely agree with you. I tried to hint at that throughout the guide, but I'll add a few things because you brought it up.

Names are personal to the player, though would perhaps be influenced by the culture they were raised in.

I have seen a rise in somewhat stereotypical elven names, meaning I've seen a lot of new players make elves with ' marks in, that actually sound elven, rather than something James.

Something like: http://www.rdinn.com/generators/2/elven_name_generator.php may prove useful when it comes to names and I am sure there is more than one generator out there should you need them.

This was very helpful when I was rounding out Verden as a character. Very good guide, very informational as well.

Quite good and well written. Perhaps you should add a section about names? That's always a hard one.

I'll add some elvish name examples under language :)

Names are personal to the player, though would perhaps be influenced by the culture they were raised in.

I have seen a rise in somewhat stereotypical elven names, meaning I've seen a lot of new players make elves with ' marks in, that actually sound elven, rather than something James.

Something like: http://www.rdinn.com/generators/2/elven_name_generator.php may prove useful when it comes to names and I am sure there is more than one generator out there should you need them.

I used a generator similar to that when I first made my elf. Now I kind of wish I had known more about the language, then I would of made a name using elvish words. I mean, those guides work and are fine, but I'm going to put in some names using the elvish language as well as try to explain how new elves can make their own names.

This was very helpful when I was rounding out Verden as a character. Very good guide, very informational as well.

Thanks! Can't wait to RP with your elf in-game :)

I would like to point out that Mail'Aheral is used to distinguish the pure blooded High Elves. Other High elves that are considered impure are usually called Mali'thill. ((someone correct me if I am wrong)) Mali'Aheral aren't keen to let impure high elves refer to themselves as Mali'Aheral.

I would like to point out that Mail'Aheral is used to distinguish the pure blooded High Elves. Other High elves that are considered impure are usually called Mali'thill. ((someone correct me if I am wrong)) Mali'Aheral aren't keen to let impure high elves refer to themselves as Mali'Aheral.

Well, there is already an extensive guide on mali'aheral in this subforum, but I might add something in about it :)

That is actually very wrong... I'm sorry. Mali'thill translates to "Pure Elf" in ancient elven, where as Mali'aheral translates to "Blessed Elf". The impure High elves are usually just called the impure by us.