[✓] [Lore] Alchemy Regents And New Potions For 3.0/anthos!

Eetswa

Alchemy Lore, your opinion!  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should this lore be implemented?

-As you turn the pages over on the large and exquisite leather bound book, you read the golden text written on the inside cover “Anthos, its Botany and opportunities - By Gauldrim Irongut” you continue to read and there seems to be an index for your convenience it reads-

CHAPTER 1: Introduction to Alchemy
CHAPTER 2  A brief overview of the Botany of Anthos
CHAPTER 3: Potions

Chapter 1  - An Introduction to Alchemy

One may associate Alchemy with scholars, Elves and inventors. But before I begin to delve into the unfathomable reaches of Alchemy I wish to first introduce myself, my name is Gauldrim Irongut, and alchemist of the mighty Dwarves. This may shock you as a reader to learn that I am a Dwarf, but do not fear my friend my associates and I can assure you that this information is entirely perfect.
Described below are all regents and potions that I myself have gone out and discovered under many hardships but always accompanied by my close friends Kardel Irongut and Nienna Calm. All of us are experienced Alchemists and we pride ourselves on our knowledge and ability to gather and produce the finest of information.
This book is designed to allow those that are unsure as to what they can discover in the wilds of Anthos and is designed to give convenience to those whom are not experienced enough to identify regents that they could not otherwise identify.
The potions detailed in this book are ones that I have brewed myself with some input from Kardel and we wish to urge those that they are not matters to tamper with lightly and one must be extremely focused and serious when conducting the brewing of these potions.

Chapter 2 - Botany of Anthos

Name: Orcs Braid (Stick)
Symbol: Fire (Weak)
Description: Grows in the mouth of sewer entrances it takes a determined Alchemist to reach this regent. A deep black in colour it is a weed that grows in the silt and sediment that piles up against sewerage grates and drains. Easily harvested and an extremely hardy regent, though one must brave the disgusting slime and waste that gradually piles up.
Effects: A tasteless regent with an extremely tough texture Orcs Braid is like a coil of shipping rope. It has no real use outside of potion brewing unless one has nothing else to bind a foe with. It has been known for poorer street children to turn it into a kind of toy or a whip for their own amusment.
Use: Despite its usefulness as a whip or binds the Orcs Braid is mainly sort after for its use in potions, it can be placed into potions by slicing it down the center to try and take some of the softer tissue from the inside of the regent.

Name: Singed Kha (Leaves)
Symbol: Fire (Medium)
Description: A bright vermillion this plant has extremely large leaves which have the same texture as a Kha’s pelt, but also has the strong scent of burning Kha fur when fully matured. The plant when fully grown stands at about 1.5-1.7 metres tall and mainly grows in rich and fertile soils, so it is most commonly found in the rainforests where the Kha commonly live. The plant does not flower and its roots are very shallow so as to absorb all the nutrients on the upper-layer of the topsoil. The leaves are the main regent that one should harvest for use in Alchemy.
Effects: The plant has mild irritation properties when rubbed on bare skin so gloves are recommended for harvesting this particular regent. This irritation is much more severe when applied to one’s eyes so goggles would not be out of place either. Has no real healing, poison or any other properties except for maybe as a deterrent to those with sinister purposes in places they should not be.
Use: A medium symbol of fire this particular plant can be used for potions that require a fire symbol and when one does not have very much else at their disposal. One main problem with acquiring this regent is trying to gain access to the lush Rainforests in which it grows, but once one arrives at such a location they will find that this plant is in abundance and will often grow in large patches.

Name: Blistering Toad (Red Mushroom)
Symbol: Fire Symbol (strong)
Description: A gnarled orange and red fungus it grows only in places of great humidity. Found commonly in rotting trees it is a rare sight even for the trained eye. At a first glance it looks like an ornamental toad that is stuck to the edge of a rotting Oak log. There is no sap inside of the fungus instead there are spores which will begin to decay almost instantly unless they are transported quickly and smoothly from the inside of the fungus into an air-tight jar (This can be achieved with a wax seal). The fungus is practically odourless and so are the spores and this is one reason why it makes it so difficult to find. Very difficult to cultivate as there are no seeds just the spores and the conditions need to be almost perfect for it to grow.
Effects: The fungus being rare is not particularly useful except for maybe an ornament when dried as it becomes rock hard, but the spores are an entirely different matter. The spores have a corrosive effect on the soft inner-linings of ones throat and oesophagus, so it is recommended to wear a mask when harvesting these spores. If they are diluted into water they will become useless, but if placed straight into boiling lard they take on a jelly like consistency which can then be cut into required amounts when cooled.  This can be placed in foods etc. for evil purposes.
Use: For mainly sinister purposes the actual flesh of the fungus is near useless. But the spore is an entirely different thing, useful in potions that require fire symbols it can also be used as an effective poison.

Name: Miners Helmet (Brown Mushroom)
Symbol: Earth (Weak)
Description: A large mushroom that covers about one metre by one metre (1x1 block) when it is at full bloom. Giving off a rich earthy smell this particular regent enjoys damp and dark corners of mines, and if it is not controlled can become quite troublesome to a mines productivity. On the helmet of this large mushroom is a slimy powder.
Effects: Like most mushrooms it is inedible and it is highly cautioned that one should not eat the mushroom under any circumstances. Known to stop one's nervous system in a matter of hours it goes almost completely undetected and can only be identified in the early stages of its process
Use: A common Earth regent it is easily obtainable and it is recommended to try and use this if you cannot obtain rarer regents. Is edible if the flesh of the Mushroom is boiled for approximately fifteen minutes as this helps to disperse and kill all of the bacterium in it and it does make a nice soup.

(Thanks to Hex37 for this Reagent!) 
Name:
 Drilltongue (Vines) 
Symbol: Earth (Medium)
Description: Found in mountains and tundra this extremely hardy plant has a green hue and looks like a tangle of roots. It has the ability to ingrain itself into rock and to take water and nutrients from the snow and sleet around it. 
Effects: Is tough enough to be used as something like a rope, tourniquet or wove into a basket, bag or pack. It has sap located in the buds near the base of the plant which has a sweet taste and narcotic like effects as it distorts the mind and leaves one dazed and confused as they experience visions.  
Use: Can be used like a rope and woven into goods, the Drilltongue discovered by Nienna Calm, the effects of the buds where later discovered when trying to make tea from the small purple flowers that protrude from the end of the buds. It is most effective as an Earth Reagent and as a strong drug that induces trances and visions.

Name: Bronze Dust (Clay)
Symbol: Earth (Medium)
Description: Located in the depth of the world Bronze Dust is neither common nor rare, one just needs to know the correct place to look. Found near groundwater one must delve into the extreme deeps of the world, large veins of this substance have been found by Dwarves in its compressed form, but once it is broken off in chunks it can be ground down using a mortar and pestle to grind it into the fine powder known as Bronze Dust. The powder seems to shine in light and has the consistency of fine sand.
Effects: When rubbed onto bare or broken skin it can cause mild irritation, not a particularly useful potion unless one wishes to irritate your attacker into submission then it is possibly a suitable tool for use.
Use: Other than a mild irritant the Bronze Dust is quite valuable to experienced and well taught Alchemists that wish to have an easy to store and easy to prepare regent at their disposal.

Name: Opal Scarab (None)
Symbol: Earth (Strong)
Description: A large beetle about the size of a grown halflings hand, with a hard outer shell the colour of rich farm soil the beetle is quite rare but is generally found in farmlands gorging themselves on the rich melon and pumpkin flesh that is common in most farms of Anthos. They are named Opal Scarab for their flamboyant underside which has a multitude of different colours. The legs of the beetle are thick and their two front legs have claw like pincers which enable them to burrow into the side of a pumpkin or melon.  The beetle on the whole is rare but if one wishes to find it a large farm is one of the best places to look.
Effects: The flesh of the beetle is the most useful part of it, if the beetle is crushed and some of its bodily fluids are lost then the beetle is essentially useless, so one must be careful when touching it. Once its under-side shell is removed and the legs set aside the soft flesh located on its flanks is useful for poisons raw and it doesn’t need any preparation. The inner organs are the regents that can be used in potions particularly the heart, lungs and liver which all seem to contain blood that is rich with the symbol of the Earth.
Use: The beetle has little use other than a poison or an Earth Strong Regent, the hard outer shell has proved useful as a trowel for gardening and holding small amounts of liquid.  

Name: Wisp Breath (Vine)
Symbol: Air (Strong)
Description: Almost transparent this regent is one of the rarest in Anthos. Very few reliable sightings have been reported and each account has placed them in almost totally different locations. Four conclusive reported sightings though was that it was found deep underground in a natural air vent where it had access to a dim torchlight and a constant flow of air. Having a supposedly texture like the finest silk but is as sturdy as a Dwarven ale this regent is easy to harvest. Cannot be dried though as it needs to be kept in open air and dim light for the regent to be used to its full potential.
Effects: Said to have a narcotic type effect on one’s brain functions and thinking process it is a highly addictive drug similar to Cactus Green, it too can be smoked to achieve a buzz or a “high”. But in its rarity it is extremely unwise to even think of trying this and it has been known to drive those that do go insane from their cravings.
Use: Its main purpose in Alchemy is for its use as an Air Regent and an extremely powerful one at that. Useful to increase the speed of a potion it is a highly sort after regent in the Alchemy community and a good specimen has been known to fetch an extremely high price among scholars, alchemists and botany enthusiasts alike.

Name: Jokers Scum (Grass or Vines)
Symbol: Water (Medium)
Description: This regent is one of the rarest water growing plants in Anthos and is only obtainable at deep sea. It cannot tolerate icy water and can only be found in deep water off desert coasts. It grows in thick ball like clumps and is secured to the ocean floor by multiple flowing roots. A carnivorous plant it entices fish and seabirds into its seemingly docile tangle of plants. Skeletons of small sharks have been seen floating around or in the large plants tentacle mass. It is thought that the plant secretes large amounts of acid from bulbs that grow on the end of its kelp like tentacles.
Effects: The tentacles itself are almost useless except for ensnaring hapless victims that struggle, but if one is calm enough and slow enough to harvest the acid filled bulb itself then the lucky individual has natures answer to alchemist fire. The stems that flow from the plant is also useful for such endeavours as rope and string.
Use: When an individual has had the cunning to acquire a bulb of acid from Jokers Scum they have themselves natures version of Alchemist Fire. It can disfigure one severely but does not melt anything un-organic such as Iron or Gold. The tentacle itself can be used as a medium water regent though and this is its value to an Alchemist.

Name: Aqua Nymph (Glass)
Symbol: Water (Strong)
Description: A small chain of blue baubles that grow under the water they can easily be mistaken for frogs or toad spawn. The Nymphs are extremely delicate and it must not be touched by hands, a correct way to harvest these is to take the thin layer of sediment that it grows in and the whole plant, then scooping it into a large jar so that it does not touch the edges and its roots remain intact. This is an important point to remember because if it is done any other way it will almost certainly ruin the plant.
Effects: When ingested by itself it induces severe hallucination unless boiled which will produce a powerful burn remedy, and it is not to be consumed even in its oil form as it will in fact cause in some cases a closure of one’s air passage.           
Use: Has powerful healing properties particularly with the healing of burns and magical fire. This can be achieved by gently pouring the plant roots and all into a cauldron or small pot and when boiled down the small pod like buds will release the liquid that is inside them into the boiling water, there a chemical reaction occurs and it turns the water to thick oil that can easily be spread.

Chapter 3 - Potions

Name: Smoke Whispers
Description/Use: A bottle or small jar of Smoke Whispers is a potion that takes extreme precision and a natural talent for alchemy to make. One first must use the following
- Four strong Air symbols, for the gaseous consistency that comprises it
- A very small vial of Aqua Vitae, to form a base
- One medium or strong fire symbol, to make it burn the attacker/foes eyes
A word of caution is advised to those that are brewing it, this potion takes an excess of four weeks to brew as it takes time for the three main ingredients to transfuse with each other and to give off the smoky smell and consistency. The effects of the smoke will make one that is not wearing protective equipment to close their eyes and if inhaled will cause minor discomfort as ones airway will swell slightly.
(Thanks to Sentlit for this awesome Potion! :D)

Name: Sailors Mate
Description/Use: Named Sailors Friend this concoction is useful for the usually difficult task of breathing under-water, only lasting a mere two to three minutes. But needless to say this potion is extremely valuable and useful in its own right. To create such a marvelous potion the person in question must use
- Two Air symbols, to assist in breathing
- Either Aqua Vitae or Distilled Water, to form a base

- One water symbol, to give the potion a resistance to water
This potion must be made perfectly otherwise the drinker may find themselves in trouble when they believe that the potion is working but it is in fact encouraging themselves to drown themselves.

Name: Torch Light
Description/Use: This very handy potion is something that should be prized by mining Dwarves and Humans alike. It seems to give one the ability to see at night and in the deepest depths of a mine with almost perfect vision. This potion does not have to be exact and it depends on the Alchemists skills to try and perfect the balance of the potion, if one gets it wrong it can either make things too bright or too dark.
- Three Earth symbols, to help form a base
- Distilled water or Aqua Vitae

This potion is extremely versatile and can be stored in a variety of things like leather sacks, gourds and glass bottles. Useful for those that are visiting very dark and depressing places and they need to find a light, has also proved useful for hunting or travelling by night.

So far so good, just need some more indredients and more potions combinations and your good to go.

Read it on google doc, and I can say is, Epic.

Keep up the good work. I dare say it is ready to be implemented, but I also back up Hiebe's statement with the needing of more ingredients and such.

Nice an' complicated...You really put a lot of work into this! :D

Way to go man, nice work!

I Love It so far, though I agree with hiebe that it needs more ingredients, especially ones that can double as tea!

I'd love to talk about possibilities with you later, maybe start filling up herbs by biome, too.

One critique though: the potions need more side effects, like miner's torch having a side effect of causing temporary blindness if the user is exposed to a bright light source.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism Hex! And thanks for all other support!

Naturally, the alchemists have done it again.Great lore, as is all alchemy lore :D

I personally think this is great. My only complaint: that you stopped there :P I'd like you to add more entries, but I guess I'll have to be content with this.

Also.. this helps set alchemists apart individually as a specific part of the RP, which is always a good thing. Overall good addition to the server. :D good job

We already have alchemy lore accepted and yours seems way to similar to it... http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/62560-finished-alchemy-lore/

The Lore in this thread is meant to be a continuation of the old alchemy lore, with new plants and recipes for the 3.0 map. Making it similar is the -point-.

The Lore in this thread is meant to be a continuation of the old alchemy lore, with new plants and recipes for the 3.0 map. Making it similar is the -point-.

Firstly we do not need to list potions, as long as we use the logic of that alchemy lore we can make our own potions given they are reasonable. ALSO there is only an implication of the continuation of that lore. You could give some credits to Ithric and such. 

Alright Goldd, I can understand your frustration I just thought that they where a few potions that people could confidently RP... and yes it is similar to the current alchemy lore but it does heavily relate to it through the very fact that it is ALCHEMY lore. Sorry if you're frustrated or upset I didn't really mean to anger anyone.

Just put that it is a continuation of Ithric's lore. Simple as that.

I think these reciepies and ingredients all go nicely with the old Alchemy lore. I like all the work you've put into this and would like to see these in-game.