[✓] [Racial Lore] The Wood Elves

PtahWithin

I don't even think high elven ancestry needs to be mentioned. Each sub-race, to my understanding, is derived from the original elves and how different traits were past down to different blood-lines. There's no reason to say that one of the tallest elves 1200 years ago couldn't have had taller children who then proceeded to breed with the group of elves which eventually gained the traits consistent with a wood elf, yet maintained their stature. Of course, I may misunderstand how sub-races were formed, but this is my assumption on how it occurs.

If my ideas are unclear, I'm basically saying that all sub-races are derived from Malin and his first descendants, so it should be expected that many members of each sub-race to not entirely share all of that sub-race's traits. Sub-races are less definite and more of a classification, in my mind, with certain genes more prevalent, and a certain culture attached to them. Of course, this is just my thoughts, perhaps I am incorrect.

EDIT: I realize in this thread my posts may have sounded a bit like an attack on you, Ptah. I don't mean that in any way, and I wholly support this lore, and think you've done an excellent job. I'm just trying to give my feedback and my perception of the sub-race, and sub-races as a whole.

No no, I understand your points exactly. The only reason I include such things is to explain the large number of pale-skinned and tall Wood Elves. And as far as I have seen the Wood Elves are the most diverse subrace, and mentioning things such as that in my opinion reinforces that.

My suggestion on all the anomalies is to state that this is the lore for wood elves, and that since very early into Elven history, elves would breed with whomever they could (seen as the curse made reproducing so difficult) there have become many elves who have strain from their traditional sub-race and resemble more "elves" than anything specific.

It seems that elves more than any of the other races have a lot of people that don't fit the sub-races properly. I think much of this drama can go away if the message comes out that you don't have to have a sub-type. You can be "just an elf".

When I started with Elindor he was just an elf with an illegitimate human mother. Much later on I decided that, seen as everyone had subraces now, he was wood elf and human. But he was made as a generic elf (with a few extra human things) and is 6'1" with tan skin.

My suggestion on all the anomalies is to state that this is the lore for wood elves, and that since very early into Elven history, elves would breed with whomever they could (seen as the curse made reproducing so difficult) there have become many elves who have strain from their traditional sub-race and resemble more "elves" than anything specific.

It seems that elves more than any of the other races have a lot of people that don't fit the sub-races properly. I think much of this drama can go away if the message comes out that you don't have to have a sub-type. You can be "just an elf".

When I started with Elindor he was just an elf with an illegitimate human mother. Much later on I decided that, seen as everyone had subraces now, he was wood elf and human. But he was made as a generic elf (with a few extra human things) and is 6'1" with tan skin.

I like this very much. You took what I was trying to say and cut it down a lot. I suck at being concise, and you hit that sucker on the head. I like this statement very much, Elindor, and I wholly agree.