[✓] [Racial Lore] The Wood Elves

PtahWithin

I would still prefer that wood elves remain (on average) shorter than humans, because that's how the generally accepted prior lore was, and because of that it's how I've role-played my wood elves for a very long time now. While differing ancestry could cause some to grow taller, the majority should still fit between 5 and 6 feet, in my opinion.

I would still prefer that wood elves remain (on average) shorter than humans, because that's how the generally accepted prior lore was, and because of that it's how I've role-played my wood elves for a very long time now. While differing ancestry could cause some to grow taller, the majority should still fit between 5 and 6 feet, in my opinion.

I'm looking at the wiki, and all I can see is that they were the shortest amongst Elves, not shorter than Humans. Indeed the new Dark Elf lore puts Dark Elves as being the shortest.

Due to this, and the fact that there are many Wood Elf characters who are tall, I have decided the best way to reconcile this with people who have short Wood Elves is give them a very wide height range. Though, I can make it even wider if need be.

I would prefer if you set it to be shorter than average than humans, but rare cases may exist outside of this.

I would prefer the reverse. Tall wood elves are "allowable", while shorter ones are the norm.

I would prefer the reverse. Tall wood elves are "allowable", while shorter ones are the norm.

That would unfortunately alienate a large number of the current Wood Elves. I am not designing this lore to radically change the subrace from how it is being roleplayed like the High Elves lore did: I mean to record what I observe, and expand on it.

Let us see....

Rarethorn-wood elf. Blue eyes ,brown hair, peach skin, good with bow and sword and is 6,8. Also a warmonger....a whole section needs to dedicated to his kind XD

You are accounted for - the diversity of the subrace allows for the existence for such a character as you. Though, you seem to be more of a High Elf :)

That would unfortunately alienate a large number of the current Wood Elves. I am not designing this lore to radically change the subrace from how it is being roleplayed like the High Elves lore did: I mean to record what I observe, and expand on it.

That is their own fault for not following the existing lore in the first place.

That is their own fault for not following the existing lore in the first place.

Truly I consider it the fault of the contradictory wiki and lack of information it provides on Wood Elves compared to the paragraphs and paragraphs that can be found in the High Elf and Dark Elf pages. This lore is being written to solve this problem. The fact is that these characters exist, and they should not be punished for perhaps being mislead or misunderstanding the wiki. The easiest way to satisfy all parties is to give Wood Elves a wide range of heights. Preferring it to one or the other discredits the other, much like how the High Elf lore entirely discredited many peaceful and open Aegis High Elves.

People also typically RP pale wood elves. Neither of them are lore correct. If you have it in the lore that shorter wood elves are the norm (which honestly I do think most people actually RP them as), but that taller ones are allowable, it will encourage others to follow the pre-existing lore, and overall a more balanced character. The same way your mention that pale skin is acceptable yet uncommon is accepting of previous characters, yet encourages others to create theirs in a certain manner, the same could be done with heights. It makes no sense for wood elves to be agile if they're very tall, it simply wouldn't make sense, as their proportions would be rather awkward. However, given that each of the sub-races formed over time, having one set standard for each sub-race with no deviation would make sense, as there really are no "pure" members of any sub-race, merely an ancestry which has led to certain favored traits that define each. I think I'm being clear in what I'm saying, which is really two separate points, but I'm tired and can't really be asked to worry about making myself more clear right now.

People also typically RP pale wood elves. Neither of them are lore correct. If you have it in the lore that shorter wood elves are the norm (which honestly I do think most people actually RP them as), but that taller ones are allowable, it will encourage others to follow the pre-existing lore, and overall a more balanced character. The same way your mention that pale skin is acceptable yet uncommon is accepting of previous characters, yet encourages others to create theirs in a certain manner, the same could be done with heights. It makes no sense for wood elves to be agile if they're very tall, it simply wouldn't make sense, as their proportions would be rather awkward. However, given that each of the sub-races formed over time, having one set standard for each sub-race with no deviation would make sense, as there really are no "pure" members of any sub-race, merely an ancestry which has led to certain favored traits that define each. I think I'm being clear in what I'm saying, which is really two separate points, but I'm tired and can't really be asked to worry about making myself more clear right now.

This is what I'm trying to say. Allowing tall characters lets current wood elves fit into the new lore but setting the average short encourages new wood elves to be short, like the current lore-abiding wood elves without alienating either party. Currently, setting the height to be fairly tall on average alienates the players who've been role-playing lore-abiding wood elves, because we're suddenly going to be extreme examples. Glaewen, for example, is 5 foot 4. Now, after these lore changes, if I ever see another 5'4 wood elf, I'm going to be very surprised.

I personally, primarily play as a wood elf.

I honestly am leaning towards Cappy on this one. Wood Elves wouldn't necessarily always be shorter than humans, But they shouldn't be upwards of 7ft or higher. And if they were, it would most likely be explained by saying they have some Mali'aheral blood. Art is around 5'9, which is a fairly decent height.

As for general physical appearance, in RP, I can usually tell a wood elf by his non-blonde hair. The brown skin isn't really done much anyways, so while the Mali'ame may have a slightly darker complexion, It wouldn't be so tanned. The hair, from what I've noticed in wood elves ranges from reddish to various shades of brown.

Like I said, most of this is my general impression of wood elves from what I've seen.

After considering your points and speaking with several other Wood Elf players, I have come to agree with you. Would you be fine with a normal height range between 5'3 and 5'10, with some outliers above that which have High Elven ancestry?