[Playable] Ghosts And You!

Urahra

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see spooky ghosties in Anthos?

• Aww yeah.
    • Needs more work. (Post suggestions please?)
    • No. (Post reasons please?)

Hm, if I'm reading this right, ghosts could be linked to apparitions very easily. That's good. Apparitions would essentially be made up of lots and lots of ghosts. I see nothing wrong with them having the same weaknesses. Light and magegold will repel my ghosts as well. :) And since my ghosts can be exorcised, I'll say that shamans and clerics can exorcise mine as well.

I'm not sure about the idea of "killing" ghosts. Is it possible to destroy a soul? Perhaps forcing them into the afterlife? I suppose exorcisms by clerics or shamans could do that.

As for the reasons, I sort of explained that my ghosts are limited to people who die via unnatural means. I figure that since it'll be regulated via magic app, the amount of ghosts would be limited OOCly. I figure someone would need a good, solid story to get a ghost app passed. They don't really have a whole lot of magical power, so I figured they didn't necessarily "need" a power source. Perhaps I can limit it further to people who, say, weren't baptized into a religion? Or didn't follow a religion? Didn't believe in God? I'm open to suggestions.

Oh! Sorry. There are a lot of posts and sometimes I accidentally overlook a few. 

Well, I would think that the different religious factions would be able to come up with their own unique exorcisms. I don't think there is any faction that is necessarily atheistic. But would you kindly link me to the apparition thread? I'd love to look over it and see if we can coordinate the lore.

Just to nitpick, Mali'aheral are necessarily Atheistic, I have a feeling that it would become more Agnostic with one of these things floating about, however.

I added a section linking my ghosts to apparitions and telling how to "defeat" my ghosts. I hope it's a good addition. :D I added that they can be repulsed by light or mage gold, so atheistic societies won't have trouble getting rid of ghosts if they become a problem.

Okay, I'll address these one by one. Thank you for your feedback.

1. Neither truly have an expiration date and I'll fix it if it seemed like there was. A spectre doesn't HAVE to move on if it doesn't want to. Ghosts are still individuals. My friend spoke to me about becoming a poltergeist that only acted destructively part of the time, which I thought was definitely possible. Individual ghosts don't have to sit neatly in either of the boxes. For instance, if this gets accepted, I'll have my character Gisela become a ghost. She'll be on the Spectre path. She'll have accepted her death and made peace with it, but she simply doesn't want to move on quite yet. She will eventually, but not yet. And poltergeists can be banished via exorcism, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to move on. They just can no longer go to the place they're banished from. I think it's all going to be handled on a case by case basis. Hrm...I sorry, I seem to have misunderstood this. I agree, but could you clarify what you mean when you say they aren't tied down?

2. I'm considering possession, but I'm just not sure yet. I'm trying to work out a rule system that would be fair to everyone. Plus, RPing possession is REALLY HARD. My character Tanith got possessed once during an E-team event and it required a lot of OOC coordination. I'll update the post with my thoughts later. I can see issues with this as well....I suppose, if it is too difficult, it shouldn't be in it. OOC drama and rage over this is not something to aim for.

3. The ghost's form corresponds with its mental self-image, not its physical body. So if a ghost remembers looking a certain way, that is how it will appear. Which is precisely what allows them to shift form. The wounds they sustained appear in Phantasm phase because they've not yet quite learned to shift appearances and unconsciously remember getting the injuries. Rotting would make them too zombie-like. The OP says, they live in a half fantasy half real world. They see themselves as normal, because if they didn't they would be able to turn into a revenant by themselves. Others live on the plane of reality, however, and only see that image of them. They would eventually seem to be rotting to a live person, simply because they only see the real, and not the fantasy. Although, once they accept they are dead, they should be able to return to their human body, as they see both the real and the fantasy fully now. The experience of a rotting body would obviously be too traumatic, so their subconscious would automatically return them to their human form. This could be considered their "halfway" body, as they can get another depending if they become a spectre or a ghost. 

4. I'm not sure about this? I want to say they lose magical ability when they die. Ghosts are non-combat characters unless they go the poltergeist route. Because it'd simply be WAY too overpowered to have a ghost mage that can light people on fire, yet can't be killed or stopped by itself. Too much like Aegis Undead.I think you misunderstood. They wouldn't retain their abilities, but would be able to learn their "ghost" abilities a bit faster than normal ones. This is due to the fat they spend much time around the void, which in itself, is nothing (So they would be used to the feeling), or a God/Spirit which is basically touching the dead or divine, etc. They would also have a better concept of "supernatural" like powers, due to their affairs with magic in the living.

5. I think the destruction of a soul is a little iffy. And I don't want them to be Undead/Ascended. They're just different types of ghosts. They aren't at war. At most, I think they would just find each other repellent and avoid each other. But it's very individually based. Maybe two differently classed level 3 ghosts would like each other, just disagree on how to treat living people. Again, they would be polar opposites. Depending on which is stronger, the winning team would be more likely to NOT be banished, while the "destroyed" would be banished from these lands. Like you said, trauma is very hard to live by, so this wouldn't be like a supernatural thing, but they would fear going there incase the spectre or poltergeist is there. The best analogy I can make of this would be like a magnet. This, however, does NOT mean they are at war with each other, it just means they repel, and, like a magnet, the strongest beats the weakest. 

6. Revenants can't move on until they hit spectre stage. At that point, they can choose to move on or not depending on what they want. Being a spectre just means they're at peace. Again, I must have misunderstood. I assumed that the purpose of a spectre would be to finish their life goals, while a poltergeist would just be madness. That is why I put "do not wish to finish their life work, and have taken their deaths gracefully".

Ah, thank you for your feedback. Good discussion!

1. Well, the lore is still sort of evolving and I'm trying to nail down all the different aspects of it. When I say they're not nailed down, I guess I meant that the ghosts are still the souls of individuals and retain their personalities. So even if one becomes a poltergeist or a spectre, they don't have to necessarily fit the profile of the "typical" spectre or poltergeist. I think there's wiggle room for individuality among the ghosts.

2. I just don't see how a person's soul needs to be necessarily tied to their body. As I said, the ghost's appearance is based off of their mental self-image. The reason their wounds show up is because the wound makes a sort of "mental impression." If you've been stabbed, you'll probably remember the place you've been stabbed for the rest of your life. The wounds are tied to the memory and impression of receiving the wound, not to the body. It's just more of a mental thing than a physical thing. The whole point of being a ghost is that they've been separated from their bodies. It's a neat idea you have, I'm just not sure it will work here?

3. Yeah, that makes sense. 

5. I think what you're getting at is that it's sort of a territory thing? Like, a strong poltergeist won't venture in an area haunted by a strong spectre. That makes sense with my idea. Sorry I misinterpreted you. :)

6. I looked back and I sort of worded it poorly. Fixed!

After giving this thought I'm still a bit iffy on permitting players to run around anywhere as invulnerable spirits... Because... Well they could be really annoying. Particularly when the only weapon most people will have against them is light (since not a great deal of people know about magegold and no one knows it can bind ghosts/apparitions).

That being said, I do really like this lore thus far.

Well, I'm hoping that the selection process will be fairly strict. And I would like to make clear that the ghosts are all non-combat except poltergeists. Since they will require both an MA and a mini-MA to get through, I would hope that only very responsible and skilled people would get to be poltergeists. I would hope the MAT has enough discretion not to allow shoddy apps or bad players through. I would also expect to be held to high standards and I would expect people to get ghost privileges removed in the event that they cause powergamey, annoying, or unenjoyable RP. 

If you'd like for me to add more weaknesses to them, I would be quite happy to. I'd really like to get this lore passed. I'm very excited about it and I'd love to put it into action.

Yup, this needs to happen. However maybe the name of the T1 ghost should be changed, for if I remember correctly. In LotC lore Phantasms are emotions that are created by illusionists.

Would it be possible to make them averse to gold (not magegold) rather than silver? I think that's what is set to be the LotC equivalent of silver when it comes to killing evil entities.

Lagomorphia is indeed correct! The lesson? Read more slowly! So yes, if you intend to share a weakness with the apparition it should be gold as Lago indicated above.

Question:

Say this were to be implemented how would we do this through magic applications? Would we have to get a magic team member to over see us.. or would it be like the old magic app?