[Playable] Ghosts And You!

Urahra

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see spooky ghosties in Anthos?

• Aww yeah.
    • Needs more work. (Post suggestions please?)
    • No. (Post reasons please?)

I really enjoy this idea. It's a shame poor Jullius is immortal, and I likely wont be able to play one :P

Although, I would rise a perhaps obvious question. Can these respective spooks interact with each other?

I absolutely love this idea, however I'm not sure how 'floating' would work with them. Would it only be around 2-3 meters? And I believe something was stated about negating recieving damage from falling, how would this work as well in-game?

I also believe that the Poltergeists should be a bit more limited in abilities, example being, only being able to lift/throw objects under a certain weight.

I think they would be able to see and interact with one another once they hit the Revenant stage. I think most ghosts would avoid Poltergeists, though, since those guys are crazy and scary even when you're already dead.

And I think floating would probably be restricted. Even if they did get access to the magic plugin, I'm not sure if they would be able to fly. I think floating would be restricted to manageable distances. For instance, maybe not going over 10-15 feet in the air. As for poltergeists, I'd see lifting and throwing extremely heavy objects as severe powergaming. They'd probably be limited by the strength they had in life. 

I'll wait and see what others have to say about the resurrection, then I'll rewrite it based on popular opinion. :) So please, give me your opinions.

It does show good character to wait for the opinions of others before making such an alteration. But I can say with a sufficient degree of confidence that a version of this lore with the potential to bring back permakilled characters to the living will not be accepted.

One could argue that becoming a ghost isn't considered a perma-kill since the character is still playable, just in a "dead" form.

However, I'll remove the resurrection thing as requested. *salutes*

This has my full support, I love your ideas and you did a great job presenting them. 

Good luck getting your lore implemented, I'm sure this will contribute greatly to roleplay.

I would also ask if at all you were interested in keeping the weaknesses of the apparition and these ghosts consistant at all? One of the reasons for this being that only Oren will be able to remove ghosts if only religious-leaders could do such. Plus... they make sense, no?

Since it was perhaps missed.

Since it was perhaps missed.

Oh! Sorry. There are a lot of posts and sometimes I accidentally overlook a few. 

Well, I would think that the different religious factions would be able to come up with their own unique exorcisms. I don't think there is any faction that is necessarily atheistic. But would you kindly link me to the apparition thread? I'd love to look over it and see if we can coordinate the lore.

Awesome, you definitely have my +1.

I have a quick question, though. If a Druid were to die while in shapeshifted form (see here: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/81980-loredruid-magic-shapeshifting/?hl=shapeshifting), the Druid's body does not change back, they stay their animal form until the body decomposes. Would a Druid that died while in shapeshifted form be able to come back as a phantasm, and if so would they be in their humanoid form or animal form?

A few thoughts.

​1. Poltergeists seem to be immortal, while Spectres, do not. Spectres should have more purpose to live, and poltergeists should have some sort of weakness. Other than religion, that is.

2. Possession IS possible, but it would just have to be monitored more. Perhaps, another group of magic, and take years to fully master.

3. If a ghost stays as a phantasm, it's body should correspond to it's dead body. To others it would look as a rotting, walking, zombie type...thing, but to itself, it looks how it did in it's living body, with a few exceptions.

4. If a ghost had magical abilities in it's life, it would be more powerful. Phantasms wouldn't rot, or if they did, it would take MUCH longer, and every type of ghost would be able to learn their "powers" easier, simply because it would have been more in touch with the void/God/dead/etc, which makes them more familiar, and used to this. ((This does not apply to...alteration, I believe it's called? I may need clarification on how that lore works...))

5.Spectres and Poltergeists should be polar opposites. They cancel each other out. If a spectre became strong enough, it could, essentially, destroy a poltergeist. Of course, the same would apply to poltergeists. They would also naturally have a sense on "where to avoid", kinda like a magnet. 

6.If a revenant does not wish to finish his lifes work, and accepts his death gracefully, he/she may choose to rest, and go to the land of the dead. 

Just my thoughts. Great lore by the way!  :thumbup:  :ujelly: 

Haha, people have been asking me all sorts of odd questions about this! 

Anyway, I would say that they'd come back in humanoid form, though they'd still have the injuries they were in animal form.

A few thoughts.

​1. Poltergeists seem to be immortal, while Spectres, do not. Spectres should have more purpose to live, and poltergeists should have some sort of weakness. Other than religion, that is.

2. Possession IS possible, but it would just have to be monitored more. Perhaps, another group of magic, and take years to fully master.

3. If a ghost stays as a phantasm, it's body should correspond to it's dead body. To others it would look as a rotting, walking, zombie type...thing, but to itself, it looks how it did in it's living body, with a few exceptions.

4. If a ghost had magical abilities in it's life, it would be more powerful. Phantasms wouldn't rot, or if they did, it would take MUCH longer, and every type of ghost would be able to learn their "powers" easier, simply because it would have been more in touch with the void/God/dead/etc, which makes them more familiar, and used to this. ((This does not apply to...alteration, I believe it's called? I may need clarification on how that lore works...))

5.Spectres and Poltergeists should be polar opposites. They cancel each other out. If a spectre became strong enough, it could, essentially, destroy a poltergeist. Of course, the same would apply to poltergeists. They would also naturally have a sense on "where to avoid", kinda like a magnet. 

6.If a revenant does not wish to finish his lifes work, and accepts his death gracefully, he/she may choose to rest, and go to the land of the dead. 

Just my thoughts. Great lore by the way!  :thumbup:  :ujelly: 

Okay, I'll address these one by one. Thank you for your feedback.

1. Neither truly have an expiration date and I'll fix it if it seemed like there was. A spectre doesn't HAVE to move on if it doesn't want to. Ghosts are still individuals. My friend spoke to me about becoming a poltergeist that only acted destructively part of the time, which I thought was definitely possible. Individual ghosts don't have to sit neatly in either of the boxes. For instance, if this gets accepted, I'll have my character Gisela become a ghost. She'll be on the Spectre path. She'll have accepted her death and made peace with it, but she simply doesn't want to move on quite yet. She will eventually, but not yet. And poltergeists can be banished via exorcism, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to move on. They just can no longer go to the place they're banished from. I think it's all going to be handled on a case by case basis.

2. I'm considering possession, but I'm just not sure yet. I'm trying to work out a rule system that would be fair to everyone. Plus, RPing possession is REALLY HARD. My character Tanith got possessed once during an E-team event and it required a lot of OOC coordination. I'll update the post with my thoughts later.

3. The ghost's form corresponds with its mental self-image, not its physical body. So if a ghost remembers looking a certain way, that is how it will appear. Which is precisely what allows them to shift form. The wounds they sustained appear in Phantasm phase because they've not yet quite learned to shift appearances and unconsciously remember getting the injuries. Rotting would make them too zombie-like.

4. I'm not sure about this? I want to say they lose magical ability when they die. Ghosts are non-combat characters unless they go the poltergeist route. Because it'd simply be WAY too overpowered to have a ghost mage that can light people on fire, yet can't be killed or stopped by itself. Too much like Aegis Undead.

5. I think the destruction of a soul is a little iffy. And I don't want them to be Undead/Ascended. They're just different types of ghosts. They aren't at war. At most, I think they would just find each other repellent and avoid each other. But it's very individually based. Maybe two differently classed level 3 ghosts would like each other, just disagree on how to treat living people.

6. Revenants can't move on until they hit spectre stage. At that point, they can choose to move on or not depending on what they want. Being a spectre just means they're at peace.

Apparitions: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/85379-lore-complete-apparitions/page-4#entry759975

On another note, if a ghost is forcibly killed does it die? I mean in theory this would be an after-perma-death thing... So if it is exorcised or killed in any fashion would it return?

In addition have you considered limiting them to a specific geographic region or having something which gives them power? I mean why isn't everyone who dies a ghost? Perhaps you could look into something one must die near or with to become a ghost which also limits its 'haunting range'.