Why, I'm A Master!

Lynesse {Celia/Jazzy}

"wot are you good sir?"

"why i'm a master bladesmith"

"why im a master bladesmith too!"

1pn4i.jpg

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit rough. My name's Celia and this is my "guide" on why a person should avoid playing characters that are generally categorized as a master of a certain trade, especially right off the bat when you start on the server!

Let me being by stating why I feel this guide needed to be made. Often, with newer players and older players, roleplayers often design their characters to be a "master/expert" at a certain type of trade. While every trade, skill, and talent has people who are obviously great at it, to claim that your character is a master or extremely skilled [to the form of being prodigy like] can be harmful to roleplay, believe it or not!

=+=+=+=+=

Now, it is reasonable to say that every talent must have it's skilled users, as previously stated above. For example, characters like Lion and Uthor have developed themselves as skilled warriors who you don't want to tango with. In the same light but with a different trade, Tanith and others can be considered as experienced culinary experts.

There is something that all of these characters share in common and it is the fact that they have developed over time as they have been played. Most prevalently, magic users who have practiced longer will generally be stronger. The almighty Ambros, who's bones creak and who's back is generally pulled, is obviously stronger magically then some young new blood. [This does not mean that characters who survived through Aegis are necessarily "better" then ones who were from Asulon or Anthos.]

Because of that, this topic is very hard to find parameters for. However, what people may have problems with is when characters are made right off the get-go from the initial application, gifted, grizzled, and well, masters!

EG: "Newt Gingrich is a skilled hawkeye. He is able to fire three arrows simultaneously and hit his mark perfectly on any target. Simply put, Newt is a master archer and there are very few in the land of Anthos that are able to match his capabilities.

When you give yourself these traits, it almost feels like you're putting yourself and your character in a position in which you are inclined to "win". [Don't listen to what Charlie says! In roleplay, winning doesn't exist.] Thus, people might often complain about your character being a bit "power-gamey".

Personally, I believe it to be a much more fulfilling role play experience if someone has their character start from the bottom and gain experience through liquid and live roleplay. In my opinion, it's easier to find someone who's great at something rather then someone who's a novice. It's only reasonable for all greats to start as a novice. [see drake song https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryown/drake-started-from-the-bottom]

This doesn't just apply to physical traits, abilities, and skills. This also applies to granting your character special titles and such. Rather then having your character start off as a Knight or a Lord, perhaps your should consider a squire or a steward. It's entirely possible for characters to ascend to prominence through this if you're looking to roleplay some sort of "important" character. The Chivay Brothers started off as bannermen for House Silverblade and have become leaders of a kingdom of Oren.

Finally, this doesn't even have to be about some sort of combat edge. There are some things that are just unreasonable to be perfect at. There are very few flawless men or women in the world. [okay maybe robin van persie <3]. We're in a fantasy world but characters should reflect the real world to some extent!

On a final note to my short and lack-luster "guide", I'd just like to re-iterate to all newer players that winning is a hoax in roleplay! We roleplay to collaborate to make a story and to create another reality. Your aims in roleplay should never be to win every fight or be the richest person on the server, but rather to roleplay fair and right, ensuring that everyone has a good time. Your character should not be purposely designed for you to be able to win!

#swagoutyolo420

"wot are you good sir?"

"why i'm a master bladesmith"

"why im a master bladesmith too!"

38208522.jpg

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit rough. My name's Celia and this is my "guide" on why a person should avoid playing characters that are generally categorized as a master of a certain trade, especially right off the bat when you start on the server!

Let me being by stating why I feel this guide needed to be made. Often, with newer players and older players, roleplayers often design their characters to be a "master/expert" at a certain type of trade. While every trade, skill, and talent has people who are obviously great at it, to claim that your character is a master or extremely skilled [to the form of being prodigy like] can be harmful to roleplay, believe it or not!

=+=+=+=+=

Now, it is reasonable to say that every talent must have it's skilled users, as previously stated above. For example, characters like Lion and Uthor have developed themselves as skilled warriors who you don't want to tango with. In the same light but with a different trade, Tanith and others can be considered as experienced culinary experts.

There is something that all of these characters share in common and it is the fact that they have developed over time as they have been played. Most prevalently, magic users who have practiced longer will generally be stronger. The almighty Ambros, who's bones creak and who's back is generally pulled, is obviously stronger magically then some young new blood. [This does not mean that characters who survived through Aegis are necessarily "better" then ones who were from Asulon or Anthos.]

Because of that, this topic is very hard to find parameters for. However, what people may have problems with is when characters are made right off the get-go from the initial application, gifted, grizzled, and well, masters!

EG: "Newt Gingrich is a skilled hawkeye. He is able to fire three arrows simultaneously and hit his mark perfectly on any target. Simply put, Newt is a master archer and there are very few in the land of Anthos that are able to match his capabilities.

When you give yourself these traits, it almost feels like you're putting yourself and your character in a position in which you are inclined to "win". [Don't listen to what Charlie says! In roleplay, winning doesn't exist.] Thus, people might often complain about your character being a bit "power-gamey".

Personally, I believe it to be a much more fulfilling role play experience if someone has their character start from the bottom and gain experience through liquid and live roleplay. In my opinion, it's easier to find someone who's great at something rather then someone who's a novice. It's only reasonable for all greats to start as a novice. [see drake song https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryown/drake-started-from-the-bottom]

This doesn't just apply to physical traits, abilities, and skills. This also applies to granting your character special titles and such. Rather then having your character start off as a Knight or a Lord, perhaps your should consider a squire or a steward. It's entirely possible for characters to ascend to prominence through this if you're looking to roleplay some sort of "important" character. The Chivay Brothers started off as bannermen for House Silverblade and have become leaders of a kingdom of Oren.

Finally, this doesn't even have to be about some sort of combat edge. There are some things that are just unreasonable to be perfect at. There are very few flawless men or women in the world. [okay maybe robin van persie <3]. We're in a fantasy world but characters should reflect the real world to some extent!

On a final note to my short and lack-luster "guide", I'd just like to re-iterate to all newer players that winning is a hoax in roleplay! We roleplay to collaborate to make a story and to create another reality. Your aims in roleplay should never be to win every fight or be the richest person on the server, but rather to roleplay fair and right, ensuring that everyone has a good time. Your character should not be purposely designed for you to be able to win!

#swagoutyolo420

It's a good thing Arthal's been training for 20 years, eh? :D

I absolutely agree. Your character's skill should be acquired in role play and it is definitely entertaining to start from the bottom, working your way up from there.

+1

Newt Gingrich

It's happening.

Well done! It's actually great fun to not be the best at your craft, especially if you are an alchemist! I've had some fun rp stuffing up potions, and I would definately reccomend failure as one of the best ways to enjoy good roleplay.

I am flattered to have been mentioned in this guide!

A good thing to note is that experts speculate that it takes 10 THOUSAND HOURS of practice to become truly great at a skill. That's 416 straight days of practicing WITHOUT STOPPING. And skills take constant practice to keep sharp. If you don't use a skill for a long time, no matter how good at it you are, the neural pathways that you've developed to use that skill WILL start to decay. The brain is not a constant thing and we are constantly forming and reforming neural pathways.

Wait, so even after my parents were killed by an orcish raiding party and I had a swords lesson with a mysterious old man -- I still can't be the master swordsmen of the Oren guard?  :genuis:

Very good thank you I learned so much fro mthis thanks you

I am the master guidemaker, I made my first guide today! Jealous much?