A Guide To Healing

MamaBearJade

Since my last guide, many have expressed a desire to see a guide on the actual healing process. Mind you, not everyone heals the same way. Use this as a guide and not a direct letter on how to heal. There will be several examples on how to heal different injuries provided by myself and my friends (Leowarrior14, hex37, Arzota, Botar). Each healer does things differently and thus has their own touch to healing.

Medicine in Lord of the Craft

Lord of the Craft is a fantasy server with medieval elements. There are herbs and potions to help with healing. We also have monks who resurrect and clerics who heal. PLEASE before you comment on what can and cannot be done, keep in mind this is fantasy and thus we have a little more leeway on what we can and cannot do. I understand there were techniques in medieval times that will kill patients, but if you add that much realism to a fantasy server, it doesn’t turn out as fun.

Part One: The Healer

Whether called a healer, a doctor, or a medic, we all must decide one thing, can we save the patient. In order to become a proper healer you must train and learn about medicine. No one is immediately the best healer in the world. Anyone can let the patient die, but a good healer can save most. So, now you have decided to become a healer, what’s next? Well first thing is deciding the kind of healer. Are you the kind and nurturing healer who goes out of their way to save a life? Or are you the mad doctor who saves his victims only to torture them to death later? There are many routes you can take as a healer. Below are some characters that will be giving examples of healing.

Kaila Bedevere (maynard66)

Kaila is a kind hearted soul who will risk her life for her friends. She will do her best to stop any fight and save anyone. Sworn to an oath she herself made, she will never let a person die just based on their alignment. Whether they are Rose or Orc, Kaila will help them. However, she is not above putting someone to “sleep” to help them pass on gently.

Laila Darkspire (JadeKadoa)

Laila is an assassin turned healer. She decides herself whether the person lives or dies on a whim. If she has a personal vendetta against you, she may

accidentally sew a dagger into your intestines. Although she is skilled in herbs and poisons, she relies heavily on her poisons for healing. Never get on her bad side should you wish for her help.

Art (LeoWarrior14)

Not an expert nor miracle worker, Art specializes in physical wounds and gashes in more urgent situations, as opposed to long drawn out surgeries involving complicated procedures, making him something of a field medic as it were. To Art you are either an enemy, or you are not. To anyone neutral to himself he will usually find the time to stop and patch up, to those he has animosity to he will watch die, nonchalant all the while.

Nienna (Hex37)

Nienna is one of the few people on Anthos considered a master of healing, and her ego has become quite large as a result. Through years of practice in the art, and the close study of the methods of other healers, she's managed to bring healing to an art form. Her style of healing consists of performing small surgeries that use alchemy to heal small areas. This can get rather similar to a science project at times, and rumors frequently circulate about her playing Angeul with the lives of men. This is (mostly) untrue.

Part Two: Tools of the Trade

What tools do healers use? Well it depends on the healer. However there is standard equipment such as herbs, sutures, bandages. Lets go through each of these individually.

1. Sutures ~ Simply called a needle and thread. The better the thread, the better the stitching will be. Stitches take care and patience and even simple wounds take at least three emotes to do. Threading the needle, carefully stitching the injury, tying off the thread. There are more steps to this and can easily be made into a more in-depth roleplay should you wish. Stitching a wound is very similar to stitching clothes. You tie off an end and slowly slide the needle through. For stitches it is important to make them closer together to insure there is no seepage and to keep the wound closed. If you use regular thread, it can break and after some rough movement, the stitches can pop. It’s always best to keep the stitches close together and using high quality thread.

1. Bandages ~ Bandages can be as simple as a torn rag or as complex as a roll of gauze. A healer always has enough bandages on hand to tend to any emergency. When in a pickle, one can easily use a torn shirt or a strip of dress to create a bandage. The purpose of bandages is to stop bleeding and to prevent a wound from becoming dirty and infected. In order to apply bandages properly, you need to follow the blood flow and remember not to make it too tight or too loose. Too tight and the patient will lose feeling and eventually the limb, too loose and the bandages can fall off, leading to other complications.

1. Herbs ~ Anthos is full of herbs that many can use to heal with. A healer must be adept in the most basic of herbs in order to heal properly. Many herbs can be used to heal but the most common is Dragurstongue, Frostvine, Blissfoil, and Tippensroot. Further in the guide you will learn how to use the common herbs. Its always good to read up on your herbs before you use them. There are several good guides on the herbs.

1. Fire ~ Cauterizing a wound can be benificial to sealing a wound quickly. HOWEVER, keep in mind, you need to close the wound with your hands first before attempting to. Do not throw alcohol on the patient then a torch! You may end up killing them.

Part Three: The Healing of Wounds

From this point on this guide will show you how to treat the most basic of injuries. Please note this guide is meant to be a guide not a rulebook on how to heal.

Minor scrapes and cuts

Minor cuts and scrapes are easy to tend to as they take little effort. First you must clean the wound with water and then disinfect the wound with Dragurstongue. Once you have done this, you can apply a clean bandage and send the patient off. Minor injuries don’t always require bandaging, so its safe to save the bandaging for more serious wounds.

Gashes

Depending on the location and the severity of gashes is whether or not you will need to stitch it. Always disinfect the wound first. Clean it well before assessing if it needs stitching. If it does, stitch the wound closed with simple cross stitching. Keep the stitches close and make sure your take your time. Once you are done, apply blissfoil for pain and carefully bandage the wound.

Broken Bones

Broken bones are tricky. There are several things to look for. Is the bone sticking out? Then you will need to set it and then treat it like a gash. Most bones you will need to set back into place, which is generally very painful for the patient. Its a good idea to apply blissfoil to help a bit with the pain. After treating any wounds the broken bone may have caused, you will need to stabilize the bone. Splinting it usually helps. Take two sticks and then stabilize the wound. For arms, make a sling also. For broken ribs, you just need to wrap the chest, DO NOT add sticks, it can do more harm than good.

Burns

The severity of burns can vary. First degree burns are the easiest to tend to. All they are is pain and slight redness. Take a cool, wet rag and frostvine, let the patient sit till the pain passes. Second degree burns are blistering of the skin. Take a cool rag and clean the burn, gently, before applying dragurstongue, frostvine, and blissfoil. Wrap and send them on their way. Third degree burns is charred skin. Do the same with second degrees but be extra careful. With second and third degree burns, make sure there is nothing stuck to the skin, if there is, be as gentle as possible in removing the item.

Child Birth

I will not go into detail on how to birth a child. Rule of thumb, ask the mother-to-be in tells the gender of the baby (or babies), and whether there are complications. Proceed with a cool rag to her head and getting into position. Tell the mother to be calm as you “Fade to Birth”. The “Fade to Birth” ends as you hand the screaming baby over. For any complications, you may need to roleplay part of it out, without getting into detail. A cord around the infants neck is easily removed with a knife. DO NOT GO INTO DETAIL OF THE BIRTHING! It CAN and WILL get you in trouble.

Loss of Appendage

Loss of an appendage usually means death for the patient. However, if you use a tourniquet you can save them. A tourniquet requires a strip of fabric and a stick. Wrap the fabric around the amputated limb and tighten it with a stick. As the blood flow stops, slowly take a torch and burn the wound. It is best for the patient to be unconscious for this. Once the wound has been cauterized, place blissfoil and a bandage on the wound before releasing the tourniquet. If the wound begins to bleed again, you have not done it correctly.

Noteworthy Links of Interest

Medical RP and You 2 ~ By Gemmylou

Final Words

This guide is to help make new and more proficient healers. If you have anything to add, feel free to PM me and I will add it to the proper section. This guide has been a lot of work. I will be searching for the lore posts on the herbs and for other posts that are relevant to this and adding them in. Keep an eye on this ever growing guide. Thank you for reading.

Thanks this guide is helpfull and great

Thumbs up

Thank you gemmy, added your link ^_^

If I may, I'd recommend mention Willow's bark, and other such herbs in the nature of healing.

Oooh, give an example of Nienna's crazy-as-balls healing!

If I may, I'd recommend mention Willow's bark, and other such herbs in the nature of healing.

I dont know anything about Willow's bark. If you could link me to the lore I would be more than happy to add it in ^^

Oooh, give an example of Nienna's crazy-as-balls healing!

Leo actually sent me his info. PM me a description of Nienna healing (without magic) and I will add it in ^_^

I am actually only adding in Plants in LotC with Lore atm.

Sorry. Real life plants can be used too, but I tried to keep the guide strictly LotC

thankies~

I was wondering if you could provide a list of the herbs and their uses? Like Dragurstongue, Frostvine, and Blissfoil?

or just say if I have it right:

Dragurstongue- use to disinfect wounds.

Frostvine- Use on burns.

Blissfoil- Use for Pain.

Also what forms do the herbs above come in?

IMO, or, at least as it has been described to me as I spread the RP of such materials to healers in training:

Dragurtongue is a kind of ice-plant  that looks and smells and acts like Aloe. However, unlike aloe is only located in moist, brightly lit areas. Is best used when the plant's liquid is extracted from it through pressing, grinding, straining, etc. It works exactly like alcohol would, to be perfectly honest, though many pompous healers (like my own) will claim that "It is obviously superior." It confers no RP advantage over alcohol.

Frostvine is a creation from the alchemy lore. It's best used when ground, and, agian, confers no real advantage over something similarly anti-burny, like bandages dosed in vinegar.

Blissfoil is a lore-approved, blue flower with a thick stem that acts as an effective localized painkiller. The active ingredient is the oil that collects on the surface of the plant. Because of this, it is best used when either the entire flower rubbed directly onto the wound, or when the flowers are cleaned of the oil with water, and separated from the water through the use of a distillery. It is important to note that, unlike the other two plants, Blissfoil's use is thoroughly lore-confirmed, and as a result confers a VERY REAL ADVANTAGE over most other painkillers.

Yeah no one really explain Dagurtongue to me other than it disinfects, same with frostvine being cool

I usually mix Blissfoil and Tippensroot into a past and use that. Works wonders.

Plus with clerical soon under my belt, makes having to rely on it less needed.

I still reading over plant lore and do plan to write up lore for more IRL plants that can be used in medicine ^_^