[Magic Lore] Warlock Magic

Swgrclan

Community Thoughts  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is this magic idea balanced and tuned enough to fit the server's magical boundaries?

2. 2. Do you approve of this idea?

This thread is dedicated to a lore-document written by myself, with minor assistance from Slic3man. While it's designed to follow Mechanical Standard, I want to try to get it accepted as validated lore on behalf of it's origins and how it operates.

The following link leads to the magic's descriptive document:

http://tinyurl.com/Warl0cks

Feedback and opinions are appreciated, and may be expressed additionally in the thread poll.

Updates:

Edit 1 - Changes made. Most magic-types now are simply differentiated from their physical qualities, and not the effects they bring - most prominently for the evocation types.

Edit 2 - Frost Witch's are not as dramatically altered on behalf of the Warlock's taint, and instead only their ice-forming abilities have been subjected to change.

Edit 3 - Taint-bolts have been removed and clarification has been given to Blight-Fire's nature when wielded by a Warlock. Fireballs are impossible to form and constant streams of the unnatural element, as explained in the document, would most-likely either knock the Warlock unconscious from the self-inflicted pain or kill them from rapid deterioration.

(Major) Edit 4 - The magic has been revamped and given a different source. Instead of relying solely on taint, all by-products are now created from life-force instead of necrotic taint as to distance Warlocks from Necromancers. Warlocks can no longer taint and drain, however, to make up for this, blight-fire has been re-buffed and reinstated at their main and only offensive spell and the one that allows them to gather life-force from their victims.

Influential taint is also now created from life-force. Additionally, a guideline section for curses has been added for clarification on how the curses should be role-played.

I have a few questions, if I may?

1. Is taint bolt, as a spell, able to be blocked with armour or a shield?

2. With taint imbuned into all forms of magic, would they be affected by gold? 

3. Will taint fire act in a manner to normal fire, where say if you tried to stamp out a small amount of it, it would not burn you due to minimal exposure? 

4. Will taint fire be able to burn on non-living objects? 

5. Will taint fire, being inefficient, not be able to burn more than a single tree? As the concept of a entire forest corrupted from a small amount of taint fire would just make it super fast necro corruption, that spreads, and actively forces and removes people trying to combat it. 

[Edit] 6. All changes through taint to the other magics from this seem to be improvements. The poison gas air evocation, the now additional ability to inflict telekenetic grip onto a living object as implied and additional fatigue damage in all actions. 

7. Taint seed and curses all seem a bit... well, force RP'ed. The issue being that you make them affect their roleplay for a sustained period, and if they do not consent they become 'That guy', if you see what I mean?

Most afflictions can be 'monked off' or otherwise, and as such. You can also just curse entire blood lines and such, pretty much. 

It seems like a very strong tool for "Evil Magicians."

Yet I like the concept a lot. 

I imagine like.. The ball casted flying through the air in a furious and fast manner, only to hit the target as if it was made of smoke, a gasp escaping from the persons mouth upon looking up with wide eyes, falling to the ground afterwards...

Seems very cool for a roleplay fight. But again. Very strong. It basically empowers all other magic subtypes. There's also a few things that I find strange, but while writing this I just found Lima to have already asked these. :)!

On another note. There's A LOT of  "evil stuff" going around.

We need more "good guy" magic out there. Or at least it being seen more.

I hope such will become reality in 4.0 if not sooner.

With this lore, it does sound reasonable although to eyes of others, does it not count in slight over the top in a sense? Offensive magic with life drain effects and curses all offence mostly or could be used as such. Without it being much defence. I understand the things here and I was going to say it is reasonable in the sense. Although it also comes under things of the 'warlock' performing such spells if they are instant casts, channeled spells, or focus than fire?

With this being said the 'tainted' seed in a sense when a mother is ipregnated than given the curse seed, what happens? Does the child still have it once born, and also with that stated no one can save the child from this?.

That also said with the black fire you state, if it is easily smothered does it act like real fire? Such as evocated flames developing around the 'black' fire to smother it out. In turn killing the fire to replace it with evocated flames?

I don't know where to rest with this lore in all term, but these are some questions I feel like they need to be answered on.

I have a few questions, if I may?

1. Is taint bolt, as a spell, able to be blocked with armour or a shield?

2. With taint imbuned into all forms of magic, would they be affected by gold? 

3. Will taint fire act in a manner to normal fire, where say if you tried to stamp out a small amount of it, it would not burn you due to minimal exposure? 

4. Will taint fire be able to burn on non-living objects? 

5. Will taint fire, being inefficient, not be able to burn more than a single tree? As the concept of a entire forest corrupted from a small amount of taint fire would just make it super fast necro corruption, that spreads, and actively forces and removes people trying to combat it. 

1. A shield would be capable of blocking a taint-bolt, but armor would do less in this case as the spells focuses less on physical damage over simply forcing the life-force out of someone's being, armored or not. I would say, if someone was wearing extra layers of armor, the spell would still effect them, but only to a minor degree.

2. Gold doesn't necessarily effect taint at all, only life-force. Taint is a by-product of life-force, but it is not life-force. If you would provide some examples of a specific magic and situation, I could probably clarify that further.

3. Blight-Fire acts just like regular. It can be doused with water and be put out with force, but is not directly effected by temperatures as it's not an actual, natural element. I wrote another document which is linked in the Warlock doc explaining the intricacies of Blight-Fire.

4. No.

5. Blight-Fire is as capable of burning entire forests as regular fire can, it only depends on where it's sparked and how healthy the area is. If a minuscule amount of the fire was cast onto a tree, I'd say it wouldn't last long without more arriving to eat the tree up and collect easier.

With this lore, it does sound reasonable although to eyes of others, does it not count in slight over the top in a sense? Offensive magic with life drain effects and curses all offence mostly or could be used as such. Without it being much defence. I understand the things here and I was going to say it is reasonable in the sense. Although it also comes under things of the 'warlock' performing such spells if they are instant casts, channeled spells, or focus than fire?

With this being said the 'tainted' seed in a sense when a mother is ipregnated than given the curse seed, what happens? Does the child still have it once born, and also with that stated no one can save the child from this?.

That also said with the black fire you state, if it is easily smothered does it act like real fire? Such as evocated flames developing around the 'black' fire to smother it out. In turn killing the fire to replace it with evocated flames?

I don't know where to rest with this lore in all term, but these are some questions I feel like they need to be answered on.

None of the spells a Warlock can conjure into existence can be instantly casted. It takes time to form taint from the life-force the Warlock's collected and then form the taint into a taint-bolt, Blight-Fire or curses, which take an even longer amount of time. The offensive spells can be assumed defensive in some cases, as they're really meant to protect the Warlock in times of need instead of charging head-first into battle.

If a mother goes through nine months of pregnancy, whatever race she may be apart of, she will retain the seed even after the child's birth. How it works is that the seed changes up her genetics overtime, in-turn effecting the development of the child. The influential taint attaches to the unborn child and it's changes and deformities are permanent, and because of how severe the changes can be to the child's mother and the child itself, it's why OOC consent is required before the seed is planted.

I don't think regular fire would really effect Blight-Fire logically, as it's not a natural element that would be effected by heat or cold. If a mass of regular fire surrounded a smaller amount of Blight-Fire, though, I suppose that'd certainly help it die out.

[Edit] 6. All changes through taint to the other magics from this seem to be improvements. The poison gas air evocation, the now additional ability to inflict telekenetic grip onto a living object as implied and additional fatigue damage in all actions. 

7. Taint seed and curses all seem a bit... well, force RP'ed. The issue being that you make them affect their roleplay for a sustained period, and if they do not consent they become 'That guy', if you see what I mean?

Most afflictions can be 'monked off' or otherwise, and as such. You can also just curse entire blood lines and such, pretty much.

6. The tainted gas addition to Air Evocation would only distract the victim, if anything. If someone decides to stand in the middle of a cloud of tainted air and choke to death, I dunno if that's the fault of the side-effect. As the document explained, the capabilities of the Warlock-Telekinetic wouldn't change much at all, and the only real change to it would be a minor fatigue to whoever it pushed around, if the Telekinetic was even capable of doing so. All fatigue granted by these evocations are generally weak, besides Electrical Evocation which is powerful enough on it's own.

7. It's implied several times in the document that major curses and Taint-Seeds require OOC consent. The lesser curses are supposed to be used in a way where they would not burden the player of the victim character, and allow development. 

To conjure a dead/rotted animal using conjuration, you would have to purposely conjure it that way.

Apart from this...

It seems to me, as others have pointed out, that the vast majority of effects that being a Warlock gives to other magic are positive and give an edge over a regular magic user. This shouldn't be necessary... you could just change the appearance without adding extra offensive effects which really aren't needed because of the original power the basic magic has.

The Warlock spells are nice and interesting, but the effects of being a Warlock are questionably unbalanced.

To conjure a dead/rotted animal using conjuration, you would have to purposely conjure it that way.

Apart from this...

It seems to me, as others have pointed out, that the vast majority of effects that being a Warlock gives to other magic are positive and give an edge over a regular magic user. This shouldn't be necessary... you could just change the appearance without adding extra offensive effects which really aren't needed because of the original power the basic magic has.

The Warlock spells are nice and interesting, but the effects of being a Warlock are questionably unbalanced.

Changes made. Most magic-types now are simply differentiated from their physical qualities, and not the effects they bring - most prominently for the evocation types. 

Will read it and look into it.

Then give my oppinion, pancakes now ! OwO

this actually sounds pretty cool and not too op but i think it should be restricted like mental magic and druidism are now maybe associate a daemon with it or something idk i just dont want to see fifty dark warlocks running around i might waste swords killing them

I am giving this all of my +1s.

DO THIS. DO IT NAO!

This is essentially everything that was added to necromancy without Geo's authorisation and then removed when he found out about it. Necromancers are not the Undead. While good stuff, this pushes necromancy waaaay to far into the Everything Magic region. Were it to become a magic, it would have to be something mutually exclusive with necromancy rather than part of it.

A frost witch doesn't conjure ice, she manipulates it. The ice wouldn't "change" like you say to be jagged, differently coloured, etc. [

At least I think so.

This is essentially everything that was added to necromancy without Geo's authorisation and then removed when he found out about it. Necromancers are not the Undead. While good stuff, this pushes necromancy waaaay to far into the Everything Magic region. Were it to become a magic, it would have to be something mutually exclusive with necromancy rather than part of it.

I was thinking this. The taint fire and taint bolts were given cease and desist orders, and now their back. 

This 'cursing' would not change anything on a frost witch. Our curse was given by a powerful ice spirit, and the fja curse would come out on top to effectively put a stop to any changes to our physical attributes or magical abilities.