[Magic Idea] Magic Defensive Avatars.

excited

fantasy-artwork-magic-hunter-background-

This is an idea I had. Where basically, mages with their elements and powers and the like, (magicians, necros, clerics etc..) could do this with whatever power source they wish. Defensively forming an avatar around themselves, encasing them from attacks while draining mana. This encasing material, will affect the magic defensively, it's impossible to move when having this encased shielding around you.

Evocationists - Evocationists shield themselves with their elements, for example, a water evocationist surrounded in ice, or water. 

Necromancers - Surrounded in draining, if opponents get to close their energy is sucked free. 

Clerics/Ascended- Surrounded in holy light to defend yourself.

Conjurationists - Doesn't affect them.

Frost Witches - Surrounded in ice or snow encasement. 

Shamanic - Doesn't affect most, but elemental controlling shamans can surround themselves in element of their choice. 

Mind Magicians - Surrounded in a barrier of energy that when an offending attacker attempts to get near, their mind would tremor in varying ways. 

Dos and Don'ts!

- Do not attack while encased! Impossible!
- Impossible to shoot from inside outwards. 
- Very mana costly! Don't power-game it!

Guest Guest

This would just be one of the ways someone would use their magic. It is already possible. 

This would just be one of the ways someone would use their magic. It is already possible. 

Not in the way where one could surround themselves in fire, they'd kill themselves for the most part. 

This is more of a way of a defense, sorta. 

Problem is you can only evoke and sustain elements in your line of sight, meaning that you can't protect your back - although I guess that makes it more fair and interesting.

However, isn't it just easier to make, say, a flat wall of ice than it is to mold an ice-form to your shape?

I do it all the time on my Shaman. And Necros can already curse an area so it drains all the life force out of said area. Like ds said, it's already possible.

Am I the only one who was hoping it would be like the Rick Rioridan's Kane Chronicles? With the Avatars being like how the one kid can become the Avatar of Horus and be like a 20 foot tall eagle thing? Dare to dream.....

On-Topic: Arcane Shielding Avatar WTF. +2

Am I the only one who was hoping it would be like the Rick Rioridan's Kane Chronicles? With the Avatars being like how the one kid can become the Avatar of Horus and be like a 20 foot tall eagle thing? Dare to dream.....

That'd be super cool but Arcane Shields can only be formed into single-edge (unless touching an object like the floor) circles or spheres.

Surely this is totally possible in most of the examples you provided already. Perhaps never said in words though.

I would love to see a defensive ability for mental mages though. Perhaps a mental barrier which if one where to push through they would be bombarded by such an overwhelming amount of information that their brain cannot handle anymore information and they simply cannot move closer in. Would be counter-able (like all these shield things) if you have a clever mental barrier.

I've used ice barriers multiple times and even an ice cocoon once or twice as Glaewen.

o.o

You saw where I got part of the idea from, except it's not combat related.

It's more of surrounding oneself in arcane energy at the core, around yourself, and your magic shines around it defensively. It's impossible to attack from it, but it's impenetrable, but you can't move. More of the if you're in dangerous trouble last resort magic. 

o.o

You saw where I got part of the idea from, except it's not combat related.

It's more of surrounding oneself in arcane energy at the core, around yourself, and your magic shines around it defensively. It's impossible to attack from it, but it's impenetrable, but you can't move. More of the if you're in dangerous trouble last resort magic. 

I'm thinking the Avatar the Last Airbender, Air Bubble thing that Aang locked himself in for 100 years or whatever. Nearly impenetrable, but you can't move. But still sounds cool to me. My question is, could you focus the avatar thing around specific areas? Is it possible, for instance, to encase one's arm in fire using this technique?

I'm thinking the Avatar the Last Airbender, Air Bubble thing that Aang locked himself in for 100 years or whatever. Nearly impenetrable, but you can't move. But still sounds cool to me. My question is, could you focus the avatar thing around specific areas? Is it possible, for instance, to encase one's arm in fire using this technique?

I do not think so... because then the parts outside it could ignite across your body. 

That'd be super cool but Arcane Shields can only be formed into single-edge (unless touching an object like the floor) circles or spheres.

Shields can be complete bubbles and if we are allowing ice/rock to form to the body then so can shields since originally the rule was none of those evocations could get fine tuned enough to make body armor. If the caster gives up complete mobility then I don't see why allowing them to encase/imprison themselves would be too bad of an idea. I'd say this is possible, just be careful you aren't making your spell OP and that invincible.