Re-Locking All Magic

Hydra

Re-locking magic  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should magic be re-locked

• Yes and explain why in a comment
    • No and explain why in a comment

Magic should be made more exclusive simple as that. The process of learning should be taught by a teacher in the subtype Because they will teach you how to rp magic. One of the biggest problems I have is people pging making themselves master wizards but cannot properly role play as one because they were not trained by a mentor.

When magic was set loose I decided I would self teach telekinesis a few months later boom wizard but I would gladly give up my magic if it would mean Some sort of MA apps were to come back, not the short one but the really long one, because if you want to play a Mage then you should be willing to write a few paragraphs about it.

I remember some of my friends when they took their self taught MA that they would have to turn in about 5 screenshots a week or month can't remember but it showed they were committed to the task of role playing a Mage.

Also self teaching is way to easy it used to take double the time as it should since your not receiving guidance from a higher tiered wizard now you can order about any magic book and boom master wizard

This could be handled by the LM seeing as most of the MAT is part of it.

Yes.

My opinion? If we can't convince a player to prove his effort to learn a magic, we can't trust that player to use the magic properly.

Very few magics would be limited to a Clique, and all of those have proper reasoning (Shade, Necro, Druidism, Clericism, Shamanism), and they are locked as is. The other magics? Even currently locked ones aren't restricted. There are teachers outside of the normal 'circle' for the art.

If we just had a list, and required a teacher to verify a player was being taught, Magic would improve by a factor of ten.

Please...

I enjoyed being a master Illusionist but I PK'd my mage char as soon as I realized that there is just so much.. High Fantasy or not, Magic is suposse to be something special.. Something that merchants on the road spread rumors about, something that could be used as bribery to make someone do something outrageous. I want to see that magic is special and that only a small group of people have them.

I understand that this would cause elitism. But I'd rather have an arrogant Blundermore than a large pool of mages that borderline PG new players with their fancy sorcery , criticism on eachother constantly and the heavy inflation that Magic has on its worth.

Yes. I liked Asulon mages because, sure, they could be elitist's, or rather were, but at least they could role play magic finer than the newfound magic users nowadays(brand new players) and they didn't powergame their magic a majority of time.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

It gives a chance to people who would enjoy to RP magic, but otherwise cannot, due to the politics of trainings, guilds and the like. If you're not liked by a certain mage, you will NEVER get to learn the desired magic, thus leeching from your enjoyment of the server, and embittering you. It's poisonous to the community and forms an elitism that we fought by un-restricting it. Alongside that, with the rise of PVP default but the lack of Nexus magic, the only people interested in magic these days are hardcore RPers, a group of people who tend to be on the 'higher' edge of quality RPers, thus narrowing down the influx. Also, the old system was the most insane time-sink, and it was almost impossible to get magic even if you /were/ liked.

Also, I can snap to make blue mystical flames and I feel special. ^-^

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

It gives a chance to people who would enjoy to RP magic, but otherwise cannot, due to the politics of trainings, guilds and the like. If you're not liked by a certain mage, you will NEVER get to learn the desired magic, thus leeching from your enjoyment of the server, and embittering you. It's poisonous to the community and forms an elitism that we fought by un-restricting it. Alongside that, with the rise of PVP default but the lack of Nexus magic, the only people interested in magic these days are hardcore RPers, a group of people who tend to be on the 'higher' edge of quality RPers, thus narrowing down the influx. Also, the old system was the most insane time-sink, and it was almost impossible to get magic even if you /were/ liked.

Also, I can snap to make blue mystical flames and I feel special. ^-^

What's being suggested isn't the old system - Simply a requirement that you have a teacher.

Being disliked by a certain teacher wouldn't limit anything. There are other teachers to go to, other people to try and convince. The only time it would be closed to you would be if you got on the bad side of every teacher, which is unlikely. Elitism might come to pass in some cliques, but as I already said, the magics without ic-locks (Shade, Cleric, etc) have teachers outside of the clique most of them are in.

If anything, such a change would help the community by forcing players to be nice to at least a few others.

Please no. Not again. Let's not throw back restrictions onto role-play. If anything just make a magic blacklist and whoever is truly incompetent in magic could be put on that list. When someone messes up, is it really that big of a deal to take a few minutes out of your life to attempt to correct their RP? If they habitually disregard help, then sure—throw them on the blacklist. But let's not restrict magic to everyone.

This again really? Don't we already have a topic for this? Please no keep it unlocked where it belongs. Reverting back to the late Asulon/early Anthos garbage will only frustrate people who have genuinely had issues getting teachers in the past. Leave removed restrictions removed, please. Magic is sometimes powergamed by newer members I get that, they just need guidance. Also magic will be changing in 4.0 (Regarding how you get it) so locking it wouldn't really make sense at this point. I would also like to say locking it now would royal F**k over current magic roleplayers who were self taught. Magic isn't locked to special cliques and groups anymore and with the new magic plugin coming ( with a different way to obtain it ) I say we keep the unlocked magic unlocked.

Please no. Not again. Let's not throw back restrictions onto role-play. If anything just make a magic blacklist and whoever is truly incompetent in magic could be put on that list. When someone messes up, is it really that big of a deal to take a few minutes out of your life to attempt to correct their RP. If they habitually disregard help, then sure—throw them on the blacklist. But let's not restrict magic to everyone.

It is an necessary evil Jude, because the staff team does not have the capacity to moderate and monitor so much. I don't know if you have noticed, but plently rulebreaking already happens and goes unanswered. The GM team should focus on that, not moderating magic with so many complications and grey-zones that it would take months for one proper guideline on one magic is set. We all want a nation. but only some of the people work hard enough, and have proven they are capable of running one. The same goes with magic.

This again really? Don't we already have a topic for this? Please no keep it unlocked where it belongs. Reverting back to the late Asulon/early Anthos garbage will only frustrate people who have genuinely had issues getting teachers in the past. Leave removed restrictions removed, please. Magic is sometimes powergamed by newer members I get that, they just need guidance. Also magic will be changing in 4.0 (Regarding how you get it) so locking it wouldn't really make sense at this point. I would also like to say locking it now would royal F**k over current magic roleplayers who were self taught. Magic isn't locked to special cliques and groups anymore and with the new magic plugin coming ( with a different way to obtain it ) I say we keep the unlocked magic unlocked.

Again, the only truly clique magic has been locked, is locked, and will always be locked. Every single other magic has teachers outside of the clique generally associated with it. Sure, it will make it harder to get magic, but how is that a bad thing? The quality of magic was best when it was restricted, and outside of the currently locked subtypes, has been slowly getting worse.

No.

Why? Because Magic doesn't have to special or rare? I get it, in Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, and all those High Fantasy settings, magic was some power that was mythical and rare. Rumors were always spread about it, most mages weren't trusted and the like. But usually there are two types of people that have these issues with magic. Those who wish to have special characters to feel better about themselves, and those who are upset because something happened in character that pissed them off. Yes, not all players are able to magic roleplay properly, it's true, but not all players can roleplay swordfighting, archery, alchemy, and even talking properly.

Just like magic, swordfighting, archery, and any other form of physical combat must be taught, you can always try the Mage's Guild, or start up your own guild. It's not something you just do, yes you can pick up a sword and swing it, but no you cannot start fighting three people at a time, swinging two blades, countering and parrying away for your life. Yes you can pick up a bow, knock and arrow and shoot it, doesn't mean you are going to hit your target. If you are saying you want apps for magic just because you are upset or because you want to feel special, I don't know what to tell you. We all come to this server for roleplay, promoting elitism isn't fun.

If you wish to enjoy fun magic in a fun environment, where you actually learn it and it is taught. Sadly the Guild is currently full, but on a daily basis I roleplay with at least four people who are actually practicing their magic and trying to learn how to roleplay it properly. The ones who don't care to learn are either new players (and remember, we're all new to LOTC and just roleplay in general at one point) or the veterans who think they can just pick up magic without a second thought. Magic is more difficult than it seems, but locking it is not the answer.

Though maybe it'll help a bit to make posts, fill out an app, and get a teacher, I'd request the same for other parts of LotC. You lock one part of roleplay, you might as well lock them all.

EDIT: Instead of just creating a thread requesting it be locked, or complaining about it, why no try to make an in game Guild? There you can moderate and teach others to the quality of magical Rp goes up.

Please no. Not again. Let's not throw back restrictions onto role-play. If anything just make a magic blacklist and whoever is truly incompetent in magic could be put on that list. When someone messes up, is it really that big of a deal to take a few minutes out of your life to attempt to correct their RP? If they habitually disregard help, then sure—throw them on the blacklist. But let's not restrict magic to everyone.

There was a blacklist for magic when the mat was still around but role play should be limited I can't go make a dwarf king for a character it's a process of learning politics and getting higher up to become a king for example