Re-Locking All Magic

Hydra

Re-locking magic  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should magic be re-locked

• Yes and explain why in a comment
    • No and explain why in a comment

Ignore all I said before in this post, my statements is below.

Edit: I beleive that what I stated above is not the best option. In fact, I see the best option hardly spoken out loud. The reason that I want magic restricted, is because few understand how magic works. Magic should be self-teachable and unrestricted. Yet, I feel as though the MT and the higher tier magicians should form a society to help better the progression of magic. 

This is truly the best option, because any can learn it, but those looking for magic for fun and not powergaming can learn it in a mentor-focused way, without needing CONSTANT supervision.

Guest Guest

Honestly, I think everyone should just shut up about magic. There were always problems with it and there always will be. Even if we were to lock it again, who would choose who gets too keep their magic and who doesn't? It's not like there will be less players with magic if we lock it... You can`t just pick and choose people that you don`t think should have magic. I personally think magic used to be better in the old days, but I also think those days are gone and we should move on. I think instead of trying to change the system every 2 months, we should try to fix the current one. There is no perfect system, you can only tweak in until it pleases as many people as possible. For example, a system that would teach people who want to delve into magic how to RP it. I don`t really know what you could do... but I'm sure some genius will figure something out.

I'm against keeping all magic locked. But I can never understand why some people think most magic users think they're above people, I hand around with most, if not, some of the mage peeps IC and OOC, I hardly witness them show any sign or form of them viewing themselves as above others. Maybe there's a high chance few think that, yeah.

Keep most magic unlocked, I do get sick of some magic users comparing their magic willies with others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWAb5NVALw

[Edit: It appears my magic missiles have stopped the arguing in this thread. #Robo4MagicTeamLdr2014]

Most certainly not. With magic locked, all it did was breed elitism, and OOC cliques. It was nearly impossible to get yourself taught magic without OOC connections, and on top of that, even if you did have those OOC connections, very few people would be able to meet up with a teacher for long enough and consistent enough to get any actual RP learning done. Those who DID manage thought they were above the rest of everyone else and entitled to special powers and the ability to kill 4 or 5 men in full armour in one blow.

Finally, a lot of magic, particularly evocation, can be self-taught very easily, provided they know they basic process. Evocation's learning process is universal - once you learn how to create one element, you can easily teach yourself the rest, due to the fact the only difference is a difference in knowledge of individual elements.

So no. No thank you.

Ummm... Like I said, I don't really know, but maybe we can put a gate on teachers. I believe that's what is "messing up" this new system, it's the teachers. Some people who don't fully understand their magic teach it to others because y'know, why not, no problem with that. But when they pass that lacked knowledge on it slowly and slowly gets more vague and what people call, powergamey. Maybe if there's a gate on the teachers it might help the problem. But aside from that, magic should stay open?... Idk, I'm not sure lol.

I agree with Darkdragon. A lot of magic types need a huge nerf, if anything. Somehow, we've got master wizards and mages running all over the place. It's so easy to get pro.

And yes, I can say things without using the high elves as some sort of target. Thanks for pointing it out.

Magic already got a huge nerf overall. It's not the fault of the system when people don't adhere to the rules it laid out. We've got master wizards and mages running everywhere due to the lack of a system as well.

I personally agree with Tehlulu..Limit beyond t2, as it gives players a chance to use magic "In a fun way" and it also appeals to the mages who want the more advanced stuff locked away. That said...Come now guys, you can hope for the magic plugin to fix everything, but until it does? Don't act like it has. The issues need to be addressed, not brushed off under the facade of a plugin which may or may not solve it. That's just ignorant to how reality works, make plans and resolve the problem at hand. If the plugin then fixes the problem further? Cool! But if it doesn't? Well you have that original plan as a fallback. 

Though the arguement of elitism? I'll cite a numerous number of groups, and so on which cause equal amounts of it. The truth is that people iwll always think that regardless. That's not an excuse to disregard an issue. A decent solution in turn, would be to have black lists run by an MAT, you're bringing in more staff (What's the problem? They work for free) to put less work on the GMs. A black list would also mean we don't have to restrict anything. However the problem is that far too many people are just brushing off issues with the statement "The plugin will fix it!". No one is omniscient, as such it isn't logical to say that the plugin will fix it. Plan that it won't, so then if it doesn't we aren't left with more problems.

TL;DR 

The argument that the plugin will fix things is invalid due to lack of omniscience, plan in case of failure. Two possibilities which make sense. Instate a blacklist run by an MAT (Of players who firmly understand how magic works) or lock everything past T2/T3. Both resolve different issues, but both are at least steps in the right direction.

Yeah-no, especially not since the new magic plugin is going to come out. We have no idea what's happening with that so don't waste time trying to bring up old elitism and systems that were messy. There was a reason that system was disbanded

No thanks.

Magic shouldn't be horded, like it was when previously locked. It was something given to a mage's buddy, not someone who honestly tried to learn it. And if you tried openly to learn magic, you would get OOC and IC flak for it, which is silly (The OOC part. IC makes sense for certain characters). Some magics being locked makes sense, I.E Necromancey and Shade magic, considering how dangerous it would be to control your own life force without the help of a teacher. That's not something someone just figures out without -some- help.

You know what irks me about the staff? The removal of VAs and Magic Applications. They're amazing ideas, and would be good for the server. The real issue is that it seemed to me that they didn't come up with anyway to regulate Magic Applications or Villain Applications at all. They just remove it, and not add any rule or restriction that would compensate for its removal. They didn't seem to consider why either was even implemented in the first place, to regulate bad roleplay, and to preserve the quality of roleplay. But now we get 1 day master wizards who can throw fire novas, and summon fire dragons with one emote. We get bandit RP that consists of 2 emotes and PVP default. These things occur without any regulation via staff. They didn't set rules, or policies or anything to make up for our losses.

I am aware that VAs are off topic, but my point still stands. They simply just remove things, or propose things without thinking things thoroughly.

Now on topic: There is no way for staff to regulate magic. We still have them little master wizards as common and as annoying as stepping on a Teemo shroom. Unless your character is a shade, necromancer, Ascended, Frost Witch, Blundermore, Avalier, no one gives a **** about you. You aren't **** compared to the less common folk out there. Back in my day, Magic was rare. People looked up to you, and went "HOLY ****" when you come into the room. Now today? Oh look, you're a T5 Hydromancer who busted your ass for 2.5 years to get to where you are now? Oh that's nice. Oh look another mage, how boring. You're a master pyromancer? Oh that's nice. So is the guy and his cat that lives next door, and his brother, and his cousin, and his baby mama. No one cares! No one will take you seriously due to the bad magic roleplayers out there. They **** it up so much that it makes the best magic roleplayer look bad. You're automatically labeled an edgy powergamer. Magic was devalued, and torn apart. I stopped magic RP all together because it wasn't fun to deal with PVP defaulters, and morons who know nothing about magic call me a powergamer. No one takes your characters seriously ICly anymore. You aren't great, you are nothing amazing or a jewel to look at.

Even though magic is now "common" it doesn't mean it looses it value in Role Play, my characters that do have magic have been- unique in a sense and people enjoy that. It isn't the magic that makes it common, it is how you use the magic that does. Which is why I use the magic I have differently from other people which makes it more enjoyable and unique that people enjoy. Though yes I understand it can get irritating at times, but that is how most games work.

Yes lock it up, the community is not responsible enough to self teach. Also magic is nearly useless with every nation using pvp default now. Magical rp is nearly useless without a super op plugin that makes people want to rp default. I would prefer it locked up so magic holds a higher regard within the decaying magical community but I am only of a small number of people who want that.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

It gives a chance to people who would enjoy to RP magic, but otherwise cannot, due to the politics of trainings, guilds and the like. If you're not liked by a certain mage, you will NEVER get to learn the desired magic, thus leeching from your enjoyment of the server, and embittering you. It's poisonous to the community and forms an elitism that we fought by un-restricting it. Alongside that, with the rise of PVP default but the lack of Nexus magic, the only people interested in magic these days are hardcore RPers, a group of people who tend to be on the 'higher' edge of quality RPers, thus narrowing down the influx. Also, the old system was the most insane time-sink, and it was almost impossible to get magic even if you /were/ liked.

Also, I can snap to make blue mystical flames and I feel special. ^-^

This. I hate elitism. Let people rp, no restrictions, no applications, just rules. No more MAT, no more VAT, just role-play.

"They'll abuse magic"

So what, ignore them, magic was never special since Anthos, not because it was locked or unlocked, but because the good mages left.  Or got banned, or got magic stripped. Magic's not special, it's a rp style. Stop hitting a dead horse with a shovel to bring it back to life- wait, you can't, necromancy is locked. #UnlockAllMagicWhoGivesAHonestCrud2014.

"they're new players for the majority"

Not at all, sure, some are, but most are old players who want to try something new.

"They abuse" 

then ignore them, or report them. You're making excuses to make yourselves the elite again, the people who people try to be. Locking magic is a big no-no, in fact, let's unlock all of it. I'm quite radical on this opinion, there's no point in ooc elitism again, it's stupid, it's annoying, it restricts rp for no reason than personal want to be special. I can respect you want magic to be special, but locking it won't do a sh*t. You have to do special things with it to be worthwhile, not have an accepted clique application.