Zonal Defense Device

Mephistophelian

Notes of Lorien Carcimor

6th of Grand Harvest, 1488

I have developed a device capable of rather effectively protecting an area from those not wanted within its boundaries. It must be said that it is only useful as a last resort, but it is brutally effective.

With a mixture of weak Telekinesis, any form of evocation and Mental Magic, I am capable of creating a mechanism that physically repels any unwelcome visitors within its range, be it via violence, such as ice shards impaling their skulls, or via barriers, such as those formed by arcane shielding. Truly, this is quite the breakthrough!

This device consists of three main parts:

-'Main Gem'
-'Detection and Movement Gem'

-Stand and holder

It works by using Mental Magic to detect a mental presence within its range (the range being disappointingly small, I shall admit, but a range nonetheless). The 'Detection and movement Gem' then relays a message to the 'Main Gem' holder, which rotates and spins to face the source. This thus activates the next step, which causes the 'Main Gem' to perform its own enchantment, be it to fire a shard of ice or spew mock illusionary arrows. Although the charge of the 'Main Gem' is reduced rapidly, it still proves to be an effective means of deterring intruders. I speculate that this device could be powered via a Mana Obelisk.

The true problem arose when I realised that none were safe from the device. Luckily, this was when harmless illusionary arrows were being used as testing magic, so no creature was harmed. After some thought, a solution was found; a gem-baring pendant could be given to all those permitted within the area, so that they may be safe. It works by providing a ward against mental magic, thus nullifying the searching of the device. Of course, this pendant could accidentally deactivate the device if it is brought too close, so caution must be taken.

For now, I shall continue experimenting. This device needs fine tuning, and I seek a way to avoid the deactivation issue, as well as increase range and amount of projectiles sent.

End of Entry.

((Basically, this is a turret thing. I don't feel it requires lore, as it is within the rules of magic and is relatively akin to a Mana Obelisk, in this, but it is always nice to write it, anyway. For those interested, here are benefits and drawbacks:

Pros:
-Essentially an 'auto sentry'. It aims its attached magic to the head.

-Can kill intruders or block access/movement, depending on what the attached magic was enchanted to do.

-Is deadly accurate, on the head.

Cons:

-Can easily be made null if a ward against any of the magics used in it is brought in the range of said magic.

-Mental magic wards make it useless.

-It only aims for the head, giving ample time for a target to try and dodge or duck, should the projectile move slow enough.

-Has a limited range (10-17 blocks)

-The magic applied on the target can run out very quickly, depending on the strength of it.

-If a person with a mental magic ward stands infront of the device, those 'behind' the ward, in terms of the 'vision' of the device, would be undetected.

If you have anything else you want to know, go ahead and ask! :) ))

(( This is the type of magic RP I like to see. Good luck with it being approved. ))

This could be what allows 'death regions'

((Yes :D ))

(( This is the type of magic RP I like to see. Good luck with it being approved. ))

((Thank you, I hope it is a smooth process. I am RPing the experimenting of it and whatnot, and will use it unless I am told specifically not to. It fits in smoothly with the lore, as I said before. I am just concerned people might go against it. Besides, lore isn't only for making new things, but to document creations, no? :) ))

((I stress; this device is NOT to be used in frequented areas , for three reasons:
-The enchantment would run out too quickly to even RP well

-A person is required to emote the device, if it is to be RPed correctly

-It could prove to be incredibly annoying.
Use this for gates or restricted areas, not for roads or pathways, please.))

-I'm a high elf-

- I want a cheesy way to keep people out of elcihi or whatever-

-hey look at this lore-

-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH NO ENTRY!!!!!-

-okay.jpg-

No gracias.

-I'm a high elf-

- I want a cheesy way to keep people out of elcihi or whatever-

-hey look at this lore-

-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH NO ENTRY!!!!!-

-okay.jpg-

No gracias.

((That would be in a largely frequented area. Please read my last post on that. Besides, High Elves have gates to keep you out. If these were positioned at gates, they would be on the inside (so as not to disturb people outside) and only near the gates. Since you can't enter anyways, what is your qualm? Most people force-enter via another way, anyway xD))

How big would the gems be? I would assume them to be fairly sized, given the enchantments, just curious.

Having seen some of the RP prototypes in action, and having actually abjured said magics, I can confirm all of the above to be accurate. Good work in my opinion, and nothing stupidly OP.

It's good to see some real machines being built using enchantment and the like. +1 from me.

Only if I can sap the sentries.

Not entirely sure what you mean by that, sorry xD.

How big would the gems be? I would assume them to be fairly sized, given the enchantments, just curious.

The 'Main Gem' would range from an the size a balled up fist to the size of an average person's elbow-to-wrist. The 'Detection and motion' Gem would be smaller, ranging from a small fist to a large fist in size. Sizes are variable. IF you want, and only IF, you could have a massive one that has the range of 17 blocks (practically the width of the massive device) but could turn someone into putty. Useless, really, but...whatever floats your boat.

Having seen some of the RP prototypes in action, and having actually abjured said magics, I can confirm all of the above to be accurate. Good work in my opinion, and nothing stupidly OP.

It's good to see some real machines being built using enchantment and the like. +1 from me.

Glad you liked the RP from it :D. It's nice to see so many people share my opinion that cool, useful stuff should be made from enchanting to enhance the fantasy feel of the server. I have a whole lot more creations in mind, but I would rather post them one by one than spam.

Regardless, I sleep now. I will respond to posts here tomorrow, if there are any.

After days of toiling, nae months, Lorien perfected the last element of his creation. Slowly and cautiously he put each element into place, sitting it at the entry way to whatever area he sought to guard so dearly. With a smile he twitched as eldritch energy crackled through the device as the last jolt of voidal energy pulsed into the masterful creation. Finally, it was ready.

"Wait... It is ready? Oh ******* ****."

"But, ah... ****... Wait... No wait... Please no... How do I turn this off?"

"Where is the kill switch? Did I even make one of those? **** ME."

"OH NO. OH NO. OH NO."

The turret fired upon Lorien, his mind having set off the device... But unfortunately it seemed to have been miscalibrated. The projectile flew wide. Phew. And then...

Explosion_by_IndigoSnippy.jpg

A bottle of ill-placed alchemical fire was struck. The mixture was more potent than any alchemical fire ever seen before and Lorien had just enough time to duck away before the whole room went up in smoke. Just as he got out of the way, he struck his head. All memory of how to construct the device was instantly forgotten and the design plans went up in smoke. Perhaps, on that day, his eyebrows were also lost.

Nearby a halfling observes this explosion and has a revelation about a new type of pie.

"Ah ha!"

In case you didn't understand—

Denied

Sadly, neither the GM team nor LT will pass any lore involving insta-death regions