[Alteration Magic] Animation

Mephistophelian

Animation:

------------==[~]==------------

tumblr_lpzrvuWazX1qj89un.jpg

------------==[~]==------------

It is a curious thing, animation. To imbue a mundane object with a mind, with a sort of sentience is no mean feat, and yet it can be done. Mages of the Alteration group are capable of imbuing any object with the sense of self.

It works by taking and aspect your own personality, and envisioning it within the void. This is then fueled with mana, and brought into the object you wish to animate. The issue is that you cannot animate an object with the desire to kill, or harm. An animated object is able to be angry and aggressive, but it is not capable of harming anything.

I aim to keep this very simple, as it is already done as household magic. The only difference is that I now make this a proper magic, that /can/ be learnt as household magic. When done by an alterationist, however (one who knows Enchanting, Transmutation, Warding and now, Animation) it is capable of being more intelligent and contain more feelings. One by a simple household mage might just follow commands, like making a broom brush or making a rock speak. Of course, these objects must be enchanted to work beyond just being sentient.

To truly 'animate' them in a sense that we comprehend, they must be given enchantments. Smaller animations may be able to power their enchantments for speech and movement on their own (such as an origami bird being able to fly via telekinesis and speak via illusion, but it is tiny so that does not require much) but something larger might require more. In that case, they must have gems attached to them and enchanted with each specific purpose, a purpose which the animation is capable of tapping into and editing, such as the voice and movement.

Without Further Ado:

Tiers of Animations, in correlations to what the Mage's tier is:
Standard magic-learning times apply.
T1: Capable of animating something to think, therefor speak. These are basic, and have only one emotion.
T2: Capable of animating some thing to think and understand movement, therefor speak and move. They can have one to three emotions, and can remember.
T3: They can now move faster and speak with eloquence. They have the functioning personality of a slightly dull human, and can remember as well as a dull human. They can now think independently from their master, but not very well.
T4: Movement remains, but speech increases. They have fully functioning emotions and memory, and are capable of pulling off jokes. Capable of thinking independently quite well.
T5: They can think independently as a normal person, and are essentially rather obedient, normal people...within an object.

These traits can be swapped, having a very intelligent yet not independent creation, for example. That would have it obey anything said to it, with only minor preference to its master. The mage holds the power to dis-spell the sentience at will.

Red Lines:
-No harming living things
-Wards will leave them unable to animate (e.g. ward against telekinesis stops them from standing up or moving)
-Wards against the magic will destroy them and erase all memories.
-Things larger than a pebble (that fits in your hand) must have movement and speech enchantments.
-Size limited to how strong enchantments can be to make it move and talk. This still does not allow 'accidental' violence by a house crushing someone, for example...if you would even consider making a sentient, solid house.
-Only single, connected objects can be enchanted. You cannot enchant a teacup and its saucer to be sentient unless they remain together. The moment they are separated, the object 'dies'.

The same result can be achieved with creative Mental Magic enchanting. Surely a new magic is not necessary to come by this?

I am pretty against this, for it makes a couple other magics completely redundant. I will expand this post in a bit.

The same result can be achieved with creative Mental Magic enchanting. Surely a new magic is not necessary to come by this?

I have been a mental mage for over a year now, and never seen this. Mental magic can affect the minds of others, not crate new ones.

I am pretty against this, for it makes a couple other magics completely redundant. I will expand this post in a bit.

Other magics being....golemancy? Golems are powerful and can kill. Besides, wether you like this or not, household magicians have been doing this for years. IRL years. I am just putting it under a category.

I like it, alot.

Thank you :D

Quit the LSD, Hugo.

S-Sorry...I promise I will try stop. If the teapot lets me. It is waving knife around, and Mr Knife /reaaalllyy/ isn't happy. He might bite me. Seriously, I am scared.

A few critiques:

1. Tiers don't exist anymore, don't use them. They encourage looking back to an antiquated system that isn't relevant to the server at this point.

2. Lest I am incorrect, you can already do this with regular alteration. Perhaps not to the degree you're describing, but nobody is ever going to complain because you have a highly intelligent tea cup that can move around. And if they do, and they post a report on you, no GM worth their salt would get you in trouble for it, unless you're using it to give you some kind of unreasonable advantage.

3. Regardless of the above, why not just RP this as a non-canon magic? I feel like making this canon might encourage some random to pick it up and powergame with it, but if you treat it as non-canon it will spread less, and you'll be less likely to see someone trying to pull off a vicious army of household items.

I have been a mental mage for over a year now, and never seen this. Mental magic can affect the minds of others, not crate new ones.

In my time as an enchanter and mental mage, I created little objects that had sort of pre-determined intelligences; a mind could not be created, but a piece could be imbued to give differed effects to different objects. As I said - creativity is required and creativity can already achieve something like this as I mentioned.

Without mental magic, I don't even think something can have anything close to fabricated sentience

In my time as an enchanter and mental mage, I created little objects that had sort of pre-determined intelligences; a mind could not be created, but a piece could be imbued to give differed effects to different objects. As I said - creativity is required and creativity can already achieve something like this as I mentioned.

Without mental magic, I don't even think something can have anything close to fabricated sentience

Mental magic can not create minds or connect to anything without a mind. On the other hand, you can say a mental mage might know more about a mind and so more easily imitate one.

Not even with a mental mage can you have anything close to fabricated sentience. The things created have to follow paterns.