Fearwalkers

Mephistophelian

“...I felt things, crawling on my back… rotting”

“They crawl all over it… the corpse… it is feeling the… corpse again again again”

- From the journal of Father Grigory Adeveci

“Skinless flesh and eyes of steel,

Pain this ancient foe will deal,

Beware its touch and ghastly face,

Or you shall feel death’s embrace.”

- Ancient Druidic poem

RgT9ief.png

((Mistborn Inquisitor II by Inkthinker))

In the days of Ikuras’s great power in the land of Aegis, he had many followers. Not all of them were human. At the top of this hierarchy there was always the prophet, known as Kknotos, or Death in the Black Language. He was the first among equals in the Four Horsemen of Ikuras. These were the elite. But directly below them - the Three Rings of Fear. Disciples of Ikuras who had forsaken their humanity for greater abilities and power. The most numerous of these three rings, numbering seven in number, were the Chelion Kravt. The Corpse Ring. To their victims, they were known as the Fearwalkers. The Fearwalkers were created with the intent of destroying the Druidic order utterly. They failed, for they were weak to the Druid’s nature magic. Alas, they have been created anew, and old weaknesses have been repaired.

History

mlelX4d.png

((Credit to LotC’s very own Gigarun!))

In Aegis, in the time that Ikuras was still a great power after the defeat of Iblees, there was a young Ikuras cultist. He was skilled, and full of hope and ambition, and his name was Turion. Turion rose to great prominence within the cult, and there was talk that he would soon attempt to kill a Horseman (for such is the way to rise up the cult’s ranks). But then he committed the greatest sin to the cult. He failed. Tasked with destroying a Druidic stronghold, Turion got all of those under his command killed, and fled back to the cult. He came before the prophet and asked for forgiveness.

“Yes,” said the prophet, “There is redemption for you. I give you a choice. Death, or pain.”

“Pain.” spoke Turion in a broken voice. And so it was done. Turion was taken to the deepest recesses of the stronghold of the Ikuras Cult, and unutterable torments were committed towards him. The Chelion Kravt was placed upon his finger, and his skin was flayed from his body. Iron spikes were driven through his eyes and protruded from the back of his head. This torment should have killed him, but the ring kept him alive. He was no longer human. Turion rose from the stone table of torture a new being - a Fearwalker.

He gathered servants to him, loyal cultists of Ikuras who wanted yet greater power, and transformed them with a touch of the ring. Soon he had a band of seven, and they were known as the First Ring of Fear - the Chelion Kravt. The Chelion Kravt served the Ikuras Cult in many great deeds. They could not disobey the commands given to them. At their hand, hundreds were slaughtered. They preyed upon lone druids who wandered from the grove, until the Archdruids could stand it no longer. Seven of the mightiest druids in the land came together and slayed the Chelion Kravt, and cast the ring into the deepest lava pit in the earth. This was the second great blow against the Ikuras Cult, the first being the destruction of the Second Ring by the Clerics (but that is a story for another time). The Chelion Kravt did not resurface again, until now.

A new ring was forged by the current Kknotos, known as the Nightmare Weaver. Using energy from the great druid Ouity, the being enchanted the ring. Those who were once weak to Druidic magic are now immune to it. And they hunger.

Appearance

zjdzldD.png

((Credit to LotC’s very own Jadekadoa!))

A Fearwalker appears quite terrifying. It’s skin is flayed off, and iron spikes are driven through it’s eyes until they protrude a few inches from the back of it’s skull. They have no genitalia, for they were removed during the procedure- therefore they have no gender. Often a Fearwalker will wear a black cloak to cover the great majority of its flayed skin. They wear no shoes or gloves.

Strengths

Fearwalkers have a few tricks up their sleeve that make them quite difficult to kill. The first is their immunity to Druid magic. Anything natural under the control of a Druid will rot almost instantly within reaching a few feet of a Fearwalker. They are the anti-druids. Furthermore, their touch and blood is highly acidic. If a Fearwalker were to grasp a man firmly by the arm, the arm would fall off, eaten through at the joint where the Fearwalker grasped it. In turn, if a man were to lop off the arm of a Fearwalker, the blood coating his sword would eat through the steel, rendering it useless. Finally, they only way to kill one of these things is stabbing it through the heart or the head.

Weaknesses

Due to their acidic touch, Fearwalkers cannot bear weapons. They cannot wield a sword or fire a bow. They cannot ride a horse. Because the bottoms of their feet are almost as acidic as the palms of their hand, wherever they walk a burn mark is left. This makes them very easy to track. Fearwalkers are quite easy to take out at long range, and due to their bizarre appearance are very easy to pick out in a crowd. Furthermore they are weak to Clerical magic and Shamanic magic, to balance out their immunity to Druidic magic (Clerical magic affecting them as it does any dark creation, and shamanism being the clashing of two spirits on one thing, namely Ikuras and the shaman’s spirit, that causes them to be as killable as a normal person, but only by the shamanic magic). They also cannot see, but sense via smelling and hearing, and sensing fear. Finally, any magical ability they had is taken away. Keep in mind also- any wound a Fearwalker receives will not instantly heal. That means if you manage to snap one’s neck, it won’t just unsnap. It won’t kill the Fearwalker either, though.

Upsides and Downsides in Brief

-acidic touch

-acidic blood

-immune to druid magic

-can only be killed by heart or headshot, or beheading

-can sense fear

-weak to clerical magic

-weak to shamanic magic

-cannot wield weapons

-very easy to track

-no defense against long range weapons

-weak against armored opponents

-cannot use magic

Endnote

I believe that Fearwalkers will bring nothing but good to rp. Players, I’ve found, enjoy unique challenges. For instance, the event in the quandary was lauded as one of the best events players had gone to in a long time. Fearwalkers are a unique challenge. They do not use weapons, and they are utterly alien. I am hoping that this will bring more terror roleplay into the game, which is what I set out with during my creation of the Ikuras cult. Furthermore - the creation of these entities are just short of necessary for the continuation of the Ikuras event line. I am posting this on the forums, because though I am an Event Team member, I do not wish for Fearwalkers to be an Event character. I want them to have personalities, backstories, feelings. I want regular players to be able to play these creatures, give it their own personal spark, not just another monster to briefly terrorize a town for the sake of an event.

An army will not be built with these things either. It is not my intent to have my own personal PvP squad. The cap will be set at seven Fearwalkers, the roleplay reasoning being that the spell of the Chelion Kravt can only support seven beings. Will there be seven? Likely not, though I may hope that number might be attainable someday. As a final addendum to those who review this piece of lore- Do not be afraid of new things.

End-Endnote

This lore was written largely by Watyll, and all credit should go to him. I simply copy-pasted this and added a few edits to clarify some parts (such as how shamanism affects it more). I am open to having edits made, but my opinion on this is exactly the same as Watyll's; This will only lead to fun, enjoyable RP by the Ikuras group. You people need 'personalised', fun antagonists, and I intend to provide such.

Bye! :)

0.0 i forgot I drew that...

+1

The only issue I have with this is the 'rots on touch' / 'decay within proximity'. One of the Chelion Kravt could run forward and tackle a man in full armor; that person's armor would corrode and dissolve until their flesh begins being spoiling and in turn kills them swiftly. I'd suggest diluting that greatly, to where only their blood may mildly erode (weaken, mostly) materials and that their physical contact only gives a heinous effect upon natural material. Plants and bare skin would be afflicted by their grasp, but not metal or clothing. That's just my tip on trying to get this accepted. :P

It is their hands and feet that corrode, as does their blood. The rest of the body is only mild, not strong enough that you hug an armoured person and they just melt. It wouldn't even do anything to the armor. As for the druid thing; anything controlled by Druids in a certain radius is simply targeted and decays.

As I am aware, Watyll has already spoken to Ouity and Giga on this, and both these powerful and known Druids enjoyed the idea of it. This is not something that will be abused, we intend to provide fun antagonism, not OP creatures that will be used to troll and target people.

"Weak against people in armour." It melts them.

Its not hard to find a gap in armour, if they get a smidge of blood leaked and they get corroded.

If they touch their hand, its corrosive, if you use your blade to draw a gap between yourself and them its corrosive nature will mean it can just get its self run through and due to the nature of RP combat spill blood everywhere oh the tragedy.

The enemy gains combat advantage from being within close quarters wounded, and thus won't be able to be defeated in close combat without stalemating to the enemy dying with them.

It doesn't work.

"Weak against people in armour." It melts them.

Its not hard to find a gap in armour, if they get a smidge of blood leaked and they have corrosion.

If they touch their hand, its corrosive, if you use your blade to draw a gap between yourself and them its corrosive nature will mean it can just get its self run through and due to the nature of RP combat spill blood everywhere oh the tragedy.

The enemy gains combat advantage from being within close quarters wounded, and thus won't be able to be defeated in close combat without stalemating to the enemy dying with them.

It doesn't work.

Rest assured that it shall not corrode metal and other hard things as fast as it does flesh. To eat through armour would take long if they use their bare hands, thus the armoured person's protection. As for blood leaking; it would corrode what it lands on, and would not have time to slip though the gaps before it has been used up burning at the armor. Yes, the blood is corrosive, and this provides players with finding unique way to deal with them. Want a way to deal with them? I figure a bow and arrow would be pretty damn affective.

Rest assured that it shall not corrode metal and other hard things as fast as it does flesh. To eat through armour would take long if they use their bare hands, thus the armoured person's protection. As for blood leaking; it would corrode what it lands on, and would not have time to slip though the gaps before it has been used up burning at the armor. Yes, the blood is corrosive, and this provides players with finding unique way to deal with them. Want a way to deal with them? I figure a bow and arrow would be pretty damn affective.

Not when the general response to anyone getting hit with anything is "My shoulder ow."

Not when the general response to anyone getting hit with anything is "My shoulder ow."

We should hope that both sides of the party RP correctly. That point depends entirely on who is RPing, as with everthing. Shade magic, for example, could be RPed correctly or it could be severely misunderstood. Clerical magic could be used for things that only the Aengul would approve of, or it could be used for other means.

You're aware people'll just RP not being scared, yes?

That is a possibility, but we usually 'target' the RP groups where RP is at a good level. We are here to provide fun, and groups  such as the Druids understand this, and are usually good RPers. Bonus!

Everything is the anti-druid.

Seriously, every event seems to have some reason druids can't interact with it, be it magic crystal, angry forest, or just, "..well.. no, druids just can't do this event." Animal lore these days has a footnote saying druids are powerless against it 75% of the time because.. reasons. Every antag-like-thing seems to defy druids (but not clerics) at every turn. I get that they're a pretty powerful class, but there's no need to keep targeting them.

It seems like an interesting idea, but I don't like the idea of more anti-druidism. Make 'em anti-clerics and we'll talk.

Strengths

Fearwalkers have a few tricks up their sleeve that make them quite difficult to kill. The first is their immunity to Druid magic. Anything natural under the control of a Druid will rot almost instantly within reaching a few feet of a Fearwalker. They are the anti-druids. Furthermore, their touch and blood is highly acidic. If a Fearwalker were to grasp a man firmly by the arm, the arm would fall off, eaten through at the joint where the Fearwalker grasped it. In turn, if a man were to lop off the arm of a Fearwalker, the blood coating his sword would eat through the steel, rendering it useless. Finally, they only way to kill one of these things is stabbing it through the heart or the head.

Direct strengths against a whole group's prime abilities, as highlighted above, will not make for balanced roleplay. If a Druid were to be forced to combat a Fearwalker and discovered it's magic was essentially useless, the most reasonable choice would be to result to weaponry, and as stated further in the quote, weaponry is also prone to deterioration because of the powers of the Chelion Kravt. I suggest an alternative advantage to the Druids - instead of the basic, expected destruction of any nature-based offensive a Druid may use, perhaps the Fearwalkers may utilize their alignment with Ikuras and thus disrupt Druidic connection by means of some kind of anti-Aspect fear aura. Druidic control would be difficult to keep a hold on in their presence and animals of varied sizes, whether or not called for assistance, would abscond from the vincinity in fear of Ikuras' servants.

Also, in what manner are Fearwalkers weak to Shaman magic? As Elementalism appears to be their most offensive arcane, would this imply that Fearwalkers have a greater weakness to the elements? I ask this because Elementalists are simply that - they control the elements. I don't think they particularly enhance them with spirit magic, if that was what was assumed.