[Lore] Ruibrium - Demon Stone

Mouse

In terms of control over its growth, you may dictate whom may or may not grow it. However should you fall inactive this decision will be granted to the LM's (Inactivity meaning no response within two weeks of inquiry). 

Ruibrium

Demon Stone

Written by Sasha (me) & Roy (Raptorious)

tumblr_nhj84kYS221ti6f3so3_1280.gif

Intro

Ruibrium, otherwise known as the Demon Stone, is a living, magical crystalline structure, sprouting from/near large clusters of Netherrack. It is a parasitic form of “life”, drawing life and power from the inherent taint found within the corrupted rock. Much like Thanhium absorbs heat and converts it to mana, Ruibrium does the same with Life Force, slowly and gradually leeching the life from everything around it, allowing it to grow and flourish.

Raw vs Processed

Ruibrium can come in two equally potent forms, commonly referred to as Raw Ruibrium and Processed Ruibrium. As the name suggests, Raw Ruibrium is that which is found in it’s natural, untampered with crystalline form, complete with traces of undead taint. Processed Ruibrium, however, is the result of the Demon Stone subsequent to going through a very specific refining procedure. The result are two similar products, with some very large differences.

FInnsWK.jpg?1

Raw

Ruibrium in it’s natural form is a large red crystal and depending on whether it has enough life force, it will glow a dim red light. The hue of the crystal is far darker than the processed version, as a result of the lingering taint within the stone. When the taint is extracted, the crystal glows a little less but gains a brighter, more vibrant hue.

Raw Ruibrium, unprocessed, is far denser and more concentrated than processed Ruibrium. As well as this, it still has taint. So as well as including the effects of taint (although minute levels of it) Ruibrium is far more dangerous and lethal in this form. The Ruibrium crystals in this form actively leech off of the life around them, ranging from non substantial plant life, microscopic, or much larger beings. It’s naturally nauseating aura subdues lifeforms through illnesses that include the symptoms of severe headaches, dizziness, blistering or the blackening of the skin upon extended touch and the reddening of the eyes.

It’s magical leeching effects can be felt through walls and caverns, it’s strength dependant on it’s size (or in some cases, the amount of life force artificially fed to it by a Necromancer). If not enough energy is provided, the Ruibrium would become dormant, it’s effects dampened, but if it grew to be too large, the raw Ruibrium would be far too dangerous to approach. As opposed to processed Ruibrium, raw Ruibrium’s effects occur via a natural aura, nauseating, leeching and damaging all those around it. It cannot be controlled or directed, it simply does what it does no matter what.

Processed

Processed Ruibrium has a much brighter and more colourful red hue than Raw Ruibrium, it’s taint having been extracted (in one way or another) and the stone more or less purified. It still retains most of it’s glow from its natural state, however in a lessened state.

Essentially a safer version of it’s predecessor, Processed Ruibrium doesn’t exude any kind of magical parasitic aura. When purified and refined it is entirely safe to be around, no matter the quantity. It’s effects only come into play when it enters the bloodstream, is absorbed through the skin or is consumed. Unlike the toxic raw version, processed Ruibrium acts as stimulant, providing extreme concentration and focus for the user in moderate amounts.

Similar to the raw version, processed Ruibrium can cause nauseating effects when used in excess, as well as plethora of symptoms (see Applications). Processed Ruibrium no longer has the taint’s parasitic properties that drew the lifeforce, a finite amount of magical energy is left within, having been converted from the leeched lifeforce. As a result, any use of Processed Ruibrium is not replenishable, the substance acting almost like a battery. When fully charged, the substance will glow, when depleted it will not.

When in contact with the skin, processed Ruibrium causes burning and reddening of the skin, while extended uses can cause a multitude of symptoms, among them migraines, insomnia and numerous mental issues.

Applications

Raw

In this state, it’s main usage, if at all, is to grow it for harvest or use it as a method of poison. For example, crushed or powdered, Ruibrium is very deadly. A dusting on bare skin can cause substantial irritation and the blackening of the skin. The crystals take no delay in leeching. If left alone in contact with the skin, the dusted crystals will grow from the affected areas of the body, causing physical mutilation and eventually (very eventually) death. If the taint is removed from the Ruibrium, the crystals become dormant, remaining as a defect on the body, but halt in draining life, and growing.

sozWkta.jpg?1

Another plausible use of Ruibrium in powdered form could affect respiratory systems such as the throat and lungs. Inside the body, it’s incredibly difficult to remove. Causing the normal effects, such as blistering and nausea, the crystals would grow, removing the ability to speak and eventually consume food. Over time, breathing would become difficult, and the Ruibrium would deteriorate the host both physically and mentally and grow to an extent where the Ruibrium crystals are large, powerful and would become lethal unless purged. Brushing away powdered Ruibrium is an option, but to clean oneself of all of it would be a difficult task, and physical harm would have already taken place as well. It would be a smart idea, if in this condition, to visit clerical aid or even a Transmutationist, incase of any remaining Ruibrium to grow absently.

Because raw Ruibrium takes such heavy physical and mental toll when around, or when on the skin of a person, mental illnesses can develop. Some such as dementia, insomnia and constant migraines are not uncommon symptoms of those who have direct and constant contact with raw Ruibrium. Used as a method of torture, a densely concentrated shard of Ruibrium suspended next to a person would not spread the crystals to them without direct contact, but there is no doubt that it’s aura would be sickening and painful for anyone around it. The more life that a crystal has absorbed, the larger and more concentrated it will be, and thus the effects of the Ruibrium would be enhanced. Although most of these effects are temporary, if sustained for a long enough time, long term mental damage may occur.

Processed

Processed  Ruibirum, on the other hand works as a magical steroid if applied correctly. Upon consumption of particular solutions, or the application to the body in certain ways, processed Ruibirum works to strengthen focus, and [edit] therefore the connection to the void temporarily. Although being a sort of magical enhancer, it remains a stimulant and an extremely addicting one. If processed Ruibirum were to be applied to the skin as a mark, or in the form of a tattoo it would become active for as long as the Ruibrium present was charged, having to be naturally replenished regularly. Visually, the Ruibirum would glow a faint crimson colour on the skin.

5hLVwKO.jpg?1

Usage, over time leads to the permanent reddening of the whites of the eyes, reddening of the skin and almost certain addiction to the substance. Although the magical steroid can benefit a mage in their ability through better focus, addictions can develop and eventually over consumption/usage of processed Ruibirum can begin to arise problems similar to that of Raw Ruibirum. Health issues such as the burning and reddening of the skin is some of the first encountered side effects of usage, and eventually migraines and possible (although rarer) for significant mental illnesses such as dementia or sleep insomnia. Though these symptoms do pass in time, continual usage will worsen them. Despite the risk of addiction, using Ruibirum potions or Ruibirum tattoos will definitely benefit the consumers focus and in turn their magical ability. It does not however change or improve the skill of the mage, and does not allow an amateur mage to perform skills beyond their ability. More immediately, Ruibirum Tattoo’s when activated may burn the skin faintly and after cutting the connection to the void, physical exhaustion will be worse than without it, and depending on how much magic was used, headaches and dizziness are not uncommon.

A potion on the other hand causes a warming of the insides, as a more dilute version of the substance. It causes the same physical side effects but most, not all, can be flushed from the body. Once the Ruibirum is in one’s system, and in the bloodstream addictions are more than likely to come about. A tattoo would be an example of a more permanent method of usage, while a potion can enter and mostly leave the body. Once dominantly out of the system, which could take up to a few days, potion consumed Ruibirum would not likely be enough left to increase any further focus. This means that mages have the choice to carry and consume a more dilute Ruibirum potion at will, but may not have the opportunity in tense situations. Warning! Oral consumption of liquid processed Ruibirum can lead to the reddening of the gums and if high concentrations are used, the blackening of the teeth over time.

Regardless of how Processed Ruibrium is used, when ingested or activated on the skin, after spells are cast and the Ruibrium used, the substance will begin to take it’s adverse effects. Almost immediately the user will begin to feel nauseous and dizzy, feeling somewhat lightheaded. They will often times develop short term tunnel vision, in practicality leaving the mage vulnerable to attack.

ungq7iu.jpg?1

Harvesting

osZv7U9.jpg?1

Naturally, Ruibrium is found, much like any other crystal, growing in clusters around and from netherrack. It is common in large areas tainted by Iblees and the Undead, however it has been rumoured to have been found in many places underground (likely remnants of Iblees’ taint from long ago). As a result of it’s natural life-force draining abilities, most of the area around a cluster of Ruibrium will, in fact, be dead.

In order to harvest naturally found Ruibrium, one must chip away at a fairly sizable chunk of it. Like any other rock or crystal, it has no organs, no parts, it is merely stone. However, due to the nature of the Demon Stone in it’s raw form, artificially cultivating it is rather different. Because of its parasitic nature, Ruibrium requires a host (or multiple hosts) in order to grow. Much like a fungus, Ruibrium will latch onto living beings and other life forms such as plants and animals, slowly growing over them and draining them of their life force, making up for it’s lack of tainted netherrack to draw on. These effects can be magnified by various magics, namely necromancy, providing the crystal with the needed life force to grow.

Red_lyium_World_of_Thedas.png

Unlike its other effects (as mentioned above) the leeching process is not as quick to take effect, but rather a slower process, requiring quite a bit of “nourishment” in order to create a healthy growth of the crystal. The size of the existing crystal formation has bearing on how long it will take before it’ll begin to grow. For example, a small coin sized crystal may take a few weeks to take full effect and begin latching onto its host, but a crystalline structure the size of a house may take merely hours.  

Processing Ruibrium is the simple act of removing the taint from the crystal without fueling it further. Whether this is by clerical or paladin cleansing,  the use of a black soulstone (similar to how shades have done in the past), leaving it in an area devoid of lifeforce, or any other Lore approved way of extracting the taint. Once the taint has been extracted and discarded, the remaining product will remain magically charged, but lack the damaging and parasitic aura exuded by it’s natural predecessor.

How to RP

In short, Processed Ruibrium allows for a mage to cast arcane based magic with some more ease, as the substance enhances one's focus for a period of time only directly after consumption or usage. The substance allowing the mage to create a more focused and sensitive link to the void, the mage is able to cast his/her spells somewhat faster, though by no means making them more powerful. Like always, however, the mage will still have their concentration broken by a bodily blow, an extreme distraction etc.

This also means that the player must actively emote applying or activating any Ruibrium that is desired to be used in any situation, combat or passive. Wandering into a situation, and then revealing that you have active Ruibrium applied to your body (whether it be potion or any other form) would be considered powergaming, and thus would need to be something considered before getting involved in a heated situation. Much like equipping a weapon or a piece of armour, Ruibrium would need to RPLY activated.

Also, the immediate side effects are required to be RP’d  to reduce the risk of powergaming from a player. Effects such as tunnel vision and dizziness immediately after casting etc, which are listed in the above paragraphs, are required to be rply mentioned or used to influence how your character behaves when using the active processed Ruibrium.

I would also suggest having a GM/Lore Master or the Lore writers to approve Ruibirum farms for players to reduce either how many players can claim that they have the substance to aid them, or to keep track of those using it and growing it in RP. It’s unlikely that anyone should have a significant amount of Ruibirum straight away, and infact should take a long, long time to create a decent amount.

RP:

It was the crimson that spread throughout the land, stripping it of green and life. A sickness that spread like a disease, yet we knew so little about it. The glowing crystals seemed to be at first, apart of the red rock that burnt out the land, a substance summoned by the undead, by Iblees. Of course it was the smartest thing to leave such a thing alone. It was demonic, pain inducing- a tool of the undead used to scar the world we inherit.

The Journal of Ruiri Izalith

Red

2nd of Deep Cold, 1491

Today I have reached the end point in my little venture. Although I leave it with something I had not intended to. I set off to Rivel in search of a journal, written by the Spellcrafter, Archon of Rivel. Of course, there would be no other reason for me to come all the way out here. I searched the entire place for hours. It wasn’t curiosity that swayed me from my direction, but the nauseous sensation that pounded at my skull. I did not find said journal, and I have no doubt that upon my return, Caladrius will be most displeased. Of course, as it does, curiosity got the better of me eventually. I sat atop the ruins for a long while, gazing out at the red rock that glowed, as if alive. It sprouted from the stone walls, the ground, the dead trees that littered the area. It grew atop the crimson netherrack that now replaced fertile soil. It made me sick. Sick, but still fascinated. I had to have some. I leave Rivel now with a crystal, no larger than my thumb, scraped off of the surface of the netherrack, and a headache I have no methods of curing, for now.

13th of Deep Cold, 1491

The trip home is coming along smoothly. I’ve had no interruptions but for occasional rests. I cannot linger around too long, for my own safety, especially. Although I’ve played around with the crystal that sits wrapped in cloth on the top of my satchel, I come no closer to understanding it. The headache has much subsided but being around the rock spoils my appetite. There is definitely something about it that troubles me. I laid it down one night in a bed of grass. I sat atop my bedroll, looking down at it’s crimson contrast in the thriving green. The green turned brown within minutes, and on closer inspection, a dust of tiny crystals had begun to creep atop the dead plant life. I have no intentions of spreading this stone throughout an area again, but I certainly have no time to clean this up. For now, I suppose the little crystals will grow here. I do hope it doesn’t cause much inconvenience for others later on.

24th of Deep Cold, 1491

I was correct on my first hypothesis. Caladrius was furious. I found it quite amusing. He hated that as well. Out of worry that he might never send me on such a quest again, I presented him with the stone. There was no curiosity, many have seen it before, but have never pondered to understand it in depth. I explained to him so far what I have noticed from my trip home, but at the time it didn’t seem to spark too much interest from him. I’m going to take it upon myself to study it further before I present it again.

6th of Snow’s Maiden, 1492

Rats. And who would have thought it would be those filthy rodents to help me discover this mystery. Nonetheless, they did. I had no trouble in applying the crystal to the animals, and although it took weeks of observation, the poor things perished. On the first days of the experiment, the animals became aggressive, agitated, but quickly this deteriorated into a slowness to which point I thought they had already died. The Ruibrium, which I have called it, sprouted from the shoulder of the second rat, the original crystal had spread toward it. Trapping the poor thing, it wasn't long before the animal died. It wouldn't eat, and couldn't move. I am unsure if it was the Ruibrium, or malnourishment that killed my test subject.

10th of Snow’s Maiden, 1492

I returned to my room a few days past my previous entry, furious with my lack of progress, but still ever curious. The rat’s skin was stripped, a blackened skeletal frame remained, bones cracked as the crystals speared through them, coated the corpse in crimson ice. This is most curious. Even Caladrius has taken interest now. I have permission to conduct experiments with much larger life forms. This should be interesting.

11th of Snow’s Maiden, 1492

I decided it would be easier if I used the dungeons below the lair. The unfortunate elf still lays chained to the stone walls, his eyes reddened, his tongue bloated. Much more resilient than the rat, he’s lasted longer. Only after the first week of the experiment, did he stop eating. Not only this, but he seems to have lost the ability to speak. He mumbles, to himself now, it worries me. I don’t like seeing something in such trauma, but it is necessary, I hope. A rather large cluster of Ruibrium clings to the skin of his legs, his ribs, and sprouts off him in small clusters on other spots. They’ve reached the size of the ones at Rivel now, and seem to still be growing. I have no doubt in my mind that Ruibrium is parasitic. It consumes living organisms, growing in size. This cannot be it’s only purpose.

2nd of Malin’s Welcome, 1492

I now have a collection of Ruibrium. Placed in capsules, they do not spread on the glass container. I was careful to use gloves. It would have been a terrible mistake to harvest so much with my bare hands. The good thing is, I managed to harvest the Ruibrium before he died. I’m still unsure of what is worse. Becoming mad, or dying from the thing. Either way, he still perished. There was no recovering from such. I gave Caladrius a sample of the crystal, in which now our joint studies will continue. I believe he is working on a way to create, or thin the crystal into a less potent and hopefully less dangerous substance. For whatever purpose he finds in his studies, I will continue my research on Ruibrium, and experiment with it’s methods of usage.  My new hypothesis is that perhaps this substance can be applied to things aside from lifeforms, and therefore become more controlled. Perhaps that would mean I could inflict Ruibriums symptoms through method of wounding. It’s a highly unstable crystal, but I am confident that it can be mastered.

Excellent lore and very well written. Clearly a lot of time and effort was put into creating this - I look forward to seeing it used in RP!

This is pretty interesting. I think the raw form could need some changes (I want to consult folks who know taint better to be sure), but we shall see. We're currently still voting on a loremag, so it may be a little while before this gets reviewed properly.

This is pretty interesting. I think the raw form could need some changes (I want to consult folks who know taint better to be sure), but we shall see. We're currently still voting on a loremag, so it may be a little while before this gets reviewed properly.

Awesome. Id love to hear some suggestions once you have done all that. I look forward to it :)

Take the word demon out of the entire thing and its basically blood shards

Err, I don't believe that's all that true... there are similarities, though.

I've got some concerns regarding this piece.

The main one is its effects when refined and how it attempts to increase the potency of a mages connection as well as the spells he dare commit.. Now, not only is this left rather vague with little definition and therefore making it rather hard to regulate (eg: someone making a dank fireball and blowing up a house, arguably with this lore that's allowed) but its also.. confusing. The void is a realm of existence that intertwines with our own; how come this odd crystal bares properties that strengthen a connection? I'm unsure. I don't really think the taint argument is viable enough either to explain these symptoms. 

Now we've got the overwhelming issue of pieces such as these; mechanical representation. The drawbacks are heavily reliant upon a system of trust, for example collection and addiction. In reality a player could just say he has a stockpile at home to feed his addiction, only making use of its advantages when it truly benefits him (for instance combat). Its hard to actually ensure that this is moderated.. So.. I'm unsure what can be done upon that end.

Hope this helps. 

The main one is its effects when refined and how it attempts to increase the potency of a mages connection as well as the spells he dare commit.. Now, not only is this left rather vague with little definition and therefore making it rather hard to regulate (eg: someone making a dank fireball and blowing up a house, arguably with this lore that's allowed) but its also.. confusing. The void is a realm of existence that intertwines with our own; how come this odd crystal bares properties that strengthen a connection? I'm unsure. I don't really think the taint argument is viable enough either to explain these symptoms. 

Just to respond to the first part, and ill later respond to the second of your concerns; the crystals, refined, are supposed to strengthen ones focus when connected to the void. Not strengthen their connection to the void. I'm not sure if we actually have that said in there, or if that was a bit of miscommunication. When raptors awake, im sure he'll respond and we can also get the vagueness out of the way for the technical issues at hand. 

A better response will be posted in a few hours, as im about to sleep, and my writing buddy is also asleep. He knows more about that aspect than I do.

Now we've got the overwhelming issue of pieces such as these; mechanical representation. The drawbacks are heavily reliant upon a system of trust, for example collection and addiction. In reality a player could just say he has a stockpile at home to feed his addiction, only making use of its advantages when it truly benefits him (for instance combat). Its hard to actually ensure that this is moderated.. So.. I'm unsure what can be done upon that end.

Hope this helps. 

To answer the first bit, it strengthens concentration and focus much like cocaine does or a similar narcotic, as a result of the residual magical energy from when the taint is removed. The taint acts as a parasite, draws in lifeforce and converts it into mana, magical energy. That energy remains within the crystal, like a watered down mana obelisk.  Thus going down that train of thought it would help a mage to better form a connection to the void, in theory. Once the taint is removed it can't drain anymore and whatever energy is left within is finite and depletable.

The second bit, of course it relies on a system of trust, as does all magic lore and just about any lore on lotc lol. If people want it they are expected to RP the severe drawbacks, with addiction being a minuscule drawback compared to all the rest, as have been explained.

I think it's expected that people have access to a physical build/Ruibrium farm to actually use, but then again this is a reagent lore. With the upcoming alchemy rewrite, with the possibility of a new plugin, the mechanical representations aren't particularly hard to deal with.

I'm honestly quite impressed by how much thought and effort has quite clearly been put into this. Particularly, I feel like the weaknesses were designed very fairly and above all interesting and curious. I really do hope whatever work might need doing on this lore doesn't alter it too much from this original product, I'd love seeing how it plays out for sure.

Doesn't this allow you to directly put extra life force into your body and perform super-necromancy? Likewise, wouldn't consuming this stuff freeze your organs?

Since the processed product allows the strengthening of ones' focus on the arcane, what would this achieve in situations not considered passive? Utilizing this ruibrium for the sake of concentration during magical rituals seems viable, but if used during combative instances, would a mages' focus remain keen despite sustaining forms of bodily trauma? For example, a regular wizard wouldn't be able to focus well after being bashed in the gut. Would he fare better when under the effects of ruibrium, despite his pain?