[Lore Update] Ker Wolves - Ritual and Domestication

Disclaimer

Since I have learned others would like to rp the mother wolves and give away their pups, I found that I need to actually write the ritual to avoid lore breaking of the ritual. If you want to see how a ritual is done, I have no issue showing people oocly or in PMs, but this is so people can do it on their own.

Original Lore Here

The large ker wolves were first domesticated by the Darkspire clan many centuries ago. The wolves were great companions and made great protectors of their kin. While they did not attack decendants or other humanoid creatures, they have been useful in hunts. However to aquire the beast, a ritual with the mother had to be done. One that proved you were worthy of the wolf.

The Ritual

Ker wolves are proud creatures. They are protective of their young and will often attack any who come near them unless part of the litter or pack. Ker wolves are normally non-aggressive to others. The ritual to prove yourself concists of three parts; Dominance, courage, and kindness.

Dominance

Ker wolves have their own heirarchy. To show dominance towards a ker wolf shows you can protect the young as they would you. This is usually seen by not looking away when the mother stares you down.

Courage

Ker wolves are large creatures. Strength and speed are an asset to the wolves. They often try to scare would be tamers away by being intimidating. If angered, they will bite. Standing, unflinching under their scrutiny tends to win the trust of the wolf over.

Kindness

Offering the mother wolf a meal is the fastest way to getting hurt. It is an insult to her. However, bringing food for the pup, shows compasion. Should the mother wolf let you pass, presenting meat to the pup will ensure it will accept you as its littermate.

Example Roleplay

Below is a snippet of Roleplay I have done many times with others. Both a successful ritual and an unsuccessful ritual.

[!]The large black ker wolf stares down at the young mali'ker. It lets out a low growl as it slowly stands its full seven feet.

Laila watches intently as she steps forth. Her young form much smaller, no more than a mouthful to this beast. She stays silent as she moves closer and stops.

[!]The wolf growls and keeps its red gaze on her as it snarls. Drool drips from is maw, its large incisors visible, ready to tear into the woman.

Laila stands still, keeping her red gaze on the creature. Her hands to her side as she watches.

[!]The ker wolf lunges, snapping its maw inches from her nose.

Laila blinks but otherwise does not move. Her hands clenching as she watches the beast.

[!]The wolf stands for a moment before her, before snorting. She turns and moves back to the den, growling the entire time.

Laila moves towards the den. A small black male pup had caught her eye. She pulled out fresh beef and laid it out before her, beconing the pup.

[!]The pup slowly moves towards her, sniffing the meat before eating it. It moves to her side and lays down.

Laila had been able to appease the mother wolf just by standing still. Not all ker wolves will accept just the stillness. It depends on the temperment of the mother wolf.

[!]A large white ker wolf growled as she glared at the elf before her. She slowly stood her full seven foot height at his approach.

Caelin looked up at the wolf, his hand on his pommel as he stopped before the wolf. His sapphire eyes watching her.

[!]Luna growled as she approached. Her pale blue eyes looking him over.

Caelin gripped his sword as the creature neared. He pulled out some meat and offered it to the large wolf.

[!]Luna halted seeing his hands. The meat made her halt for a moment before she lunged. She snapped at his hand, aiming to leave a small mark.

Caelin yelped and jumped back, losing the meat. He drew his sword.

[!]Luna lowered herself into a crouch, snarling as the pups hid in their den.

Caelin did two things wrong. He intimidating the wolf by being defensive and ready to strike. He also believed offering a protective mother wolf food, that she would not perceive him as a threat.

The Ritual Breakdown

The stages of getting a wolf is always Distrust, Intimidation, Acceptance or Injury. Ker wolves will injure any who attempt to continue the ritual after they have deemed the person unworthy.

First two to three emotes should concist of them showing distrust.

The following emotes would be intimidation, trying to scare off the potential companion.

If they are acceptable, the wolf would allow them to approach the pup.

If they are denied, the following emotes would be either of injury or taking the pup away.

RED LINES

- A ker wolf does not aim to kill, if the player is persistant, take the pup away and end the roleplay.

- Druid magic will not sway the beast in this sense, keep the roleplay fair (Most mother wolves are companion animals, wild ones should be played by an ET)

- Do not make it unfair to others even if you dont like them.

- Don't metagame the ritual. If you never did it, or were taught, you don't know it.

- Don't metagame how to succeed in the ritual. Its meant to test the character.

TL;DR - There isnt one, learn how to do the ritual please. If you have a ker wolf and have questions, feel free to PM me.

EDIT: Before people get upset that there IS a ritual for ker wolves, its always been the case. However, this is meant to make it so other players can make an event out of giving away pups, something to do for other players once in a while.

Conceptionally, I dislike this.

1. A ker wolf is a wolf, it'll always aim to kill. They're strong, dominant, and powerful creatures -- this isn't Disney, they aren't loving creatures nor should they ever be.
2. Druidism's sole purpose is manipulating talking to animals and plants and naturey stuff. There's no reason to make them unable to now in this case, if they can convince the animal and sway it through speech it should be fine.

3. Makes no sense, the ritual isn't magic and could easily be inferred. 
4. Idk about this, again, ritual isn't magic and can easily be inferred. 

1) Accepted Lore for ker wolves makes them passive creatures, essentially mounts as we already have Lur Wolves that DO attack

2) Druids can not sway a wolf to do what is against its nature, a ker wolf may not attack a druid, but it will not willingly give up a pup to someone they don't even know

3 and 4) No, its just clarification on the ritual that has been around since anthos. The lore was accepted several years back.

4 minutes ago, Time Lady of Kittens said:

1) Accepted Lore for ker wolves makes them passive creatures, essentially mounts as we already have Lur Wolves that DO attack

2) Druids can not sway a wolf to do what is against its nature, a ker wolf may not attack a druid, but it will not willingly give up a pup to someone they don't even know

3 and 4) No, its just clarification on the ritual that has been around since anthos. The lore was accepted several years back.

1. They aren't passive, they're wolves. Again, they're feral and hungry creatures. Mounts aren't passive if they can be (like horses and Lur wolves) prompted to attack. I.E. a horse kicking its hind legs to hurt somebody, a horse ramming into somebody, etc..
2. Yes they can, nature is malleable to a druid's touch. They can task plant life to do things that're extraordinary, such as moving roots, trees, etcetera. That's the magic at work there. 
3. If the lore allows these wolves to be essentially Disneyfied, I don't see why it's accepted in it's current state. It seems like you're trying to close these creatures off from other people and that's uncool. 

Tl;dr 

Make them wolves, they're feral animals not saints. Druidism does prompt animals and other aspects of nature into extraordinary things. 

About the Lur wolves, you dont just stand still and boom tame it. You have to assert your dominace, like a giant orc can.

1) No, the lore has been accepted since Anthos. They are non-aggressive towards humanoids. Look up a tamaskan. They have the same look as a wolf but are passive as all heck. That is what these wolves are based off of. They are not "disney-fied" and do pose a threat to people during the ritual

2) Druids can not persuade someone's companion animal to do something against their master. Only certain druids may have the ability, but the redline is there to try and show fairness.

No I am not closing this off to other players. Adding this to ALREADY implemented lore, and accepting the original ritual, allows OTHER PLAYERS to have their ker wolves populate. Right now, I am currently the only player that does the ker wolf events. I am trying to change that.

@KBR - And they are 9 ft of terrifying bloodrage. Hense why even their lore says only an ORC can tame them.

Edit to show redlines of Druidism

01fc4148a19434b66ccf6916f6cd825f.png

Just now, Time Lady of Kittens said:

1) No, the lore has been accepted since Anthos. They are non-aggressive towards humanoids. Look up a tamaskan. They have the same look as a wolf but are passive as all heck. That is what these wolves are based off of. They are not "disney-fied" and do pose a threat to people during the ritual

2) Druids can not persuade someone's companion animal to do something against their master. Only certain druids may have the ability, but the redline is there to try and show fairness.

No I am not closing this off to other players. Adding this to ALREADY implemented lore, and accepting the original ritual, allows OTHER PLAYERS to have their ker wolves populate. Right now, I am currently the only player that does the ker wolf events. I am trying to change that.

@KBR - And they are 9 ft of terrifying bloodrage. Hense why even their lore says only an ORC can tame them.

Which is why I was saying its weird a elf can tame these ones which from what I understand are not that much smaller.

@KBR The lore states they were tamed a long time ago by darkspires. They are basically giant tamaskans. Loyal, passive, but intimidating. Giant horses with fur really

Edit: For reading pleasure, the wolf-dog they are based off of. http://www.dogbreedplus.com/dog_breeds/tamaskan_dog.php

Thank you for promoting roleplay by expanding upon this already-implemented creature.

I believe you've handled your redlines fairly.

Although, concerning interactions with druids and the ker wolf, I think it will simply be a case-by-case basis. There are many many combinations of situations that could occur.

Experienced druid vs. unloyal ker wolf, unexperienced druid trying to convince generally loyal ker wolf to attack decently armed foe, experienced druid trying to convince very loyal ker wolf to not attack semi-threatening robed man... the combinations are many.

I would say that rolls would solve this problem, but unfortunately LotC doesn't allow magic tiers, loyalty, or other factors influence /rolling. Perhaps they should. 

Regardless...

Very good!

I'm pretty sure Nature's Communion doesn't exactly allow a druid to command an animal to do something that the creature wouldn't logically agree to, like attacking something it considers its one of its own or attacking something it is afraid of.

Kinda makes that Red line irrelevant but still doesn't hurt to have it.

After seeing the red lines of the druidism lore, I'll give this a +1 as I don't see any issues with it.

I should explain the druid part. If a druid is strong enough, they can actually convince an animal to skirt their instincts but not all, such as attacking their master, or another druid. However, the major red-line that has always been a thing was that they are unable to force a parent animal to abandon it's child at infancy, or prior to when they leave it on their own accord. It's completely subjective though, say the Wolf Druid wished for a Ker pup and decided to ask the mother, due to his experience and strength with the magic, I wouldn't be surprised if he was successful but that's someone who's been a druid since... Asulonish?

I like that lore, I RPed with 'Ker wolves quite abit and it was very enjoyable.

+1

5 hours ago, woahdude said:

Could the ritual be bypassed by just killing the mother wolf and taking the cub to domesticate?

No. Killing the mother wolf would just cause the pup to run. The wolf pups are around 2-3 months at this point, large enough and old enough to run off.