[Shelved]The Agents of The Archaengul: Ascended Rewrite II

17 minutes ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

Yes, though it would have to be a pane of ice or, possibly, a thick torrent of snow to decently deflect Soulfire. Any major imperfections may allow Soulfire to seep through the defense.

Ice magic is literally their only offensive sort of magic. Why would it have any imperfections. If Soulfire cannot penetrate thick armor/cloth/leather, why would it penetrate a witch's ice.

24 minutes ago, meg said:

Ice magic is literally their only offensive sort of magic. Why would it have any imperfections. If Soulfire cannot penetrate thick armor/cloth/leather, why would it penetrate a witch's ice.

eI319u8.png

This is a sheet of ice. Notice how the sheet of ice has imperfections in the form of cracks, air bubbles, so on and so forth. If a crack was large enough it may create an opening where some amount of Soulfire may pass through. I am not arguing that your defenses will always fail, I am arguing that frost witches will not have perfect defenses 100% of the time.

Armor is also not perfect. Iron armor has eye-holes or exposed joints, leather armor may be split from weapons, cloth is similar. Frost witches, especially young ones who are not exceptionally experienced with their craft will, surely, not be capable of creating an ice wall nigh-instantaneously without there being imperfections somewhere within it.

Soulfire is our only directly offensive magic, and it has imperfections. All magic will (Rather, should) have imperfections somewhere, that something can utilize.

8 minutes ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

eI319u8.png

This is a sheet of ice. Notice how the sheet of ice has imperfections in the form of cracks, air bubbles, so on and so forth. If a crack was large enough it may create an opening where some amount of Soulfire may pass through. I am not arguing that your defenses will always fail, I am arguing that frost witches will not have perfect defenses 100% of the time.

Armor is also not perfect. Iron armor has eye-holes, leather armor may be split from weapons, cloth is similar. Frost witches, especially young ones who are not exceptionally experienced with their craft will, surely, not be capable of creating an ice wall nigh-instantaneously without there being imperfections somewhere within it.

Soulfire is our only directly offensive magic, and it has imperfections. All magic will (Rather, should) have imperfections somewhere, that something can utilize.

I'm not gonna argue the semantics of this, but it's literally ice made and kept with magic. It's not going to function the same way ice in the real world functions. If a crack was made through physical altercations, sure, but I don't see how soulfire can pass through a minuscule crack you are suggesting exists naturally. It's obvious we don't see eye to eye on it, so the semantics can be ironed out if/when the piece is accepted. : )

As someone who is starting to get involved with the Ascended, I find the lore and RP aspect of them extremely interesting. There is a vast number of dark and neutral options given, so the good-aligned nature of the Ascended without being boy scouts in tights. The Ascended seem to be an Iconic and unique part of the Lord of the Craft setting, so they deserve to get the same amount of attention as other magics.

Honestly, the main issue I have with this document is how daunting it is to read. I recommend keeping the lore and clarifications but have a more mechanical section to it with basic fluff, the Red Lines, the Pros, and Cons. I believe this would make it easier for Ascended players to just pull up a page for their magic, or for staff members to check their skills to make sure their actions are legit. 

I dunno, glancing between the old and the new it looks more like... I dunno, it says a lot of the same thing, just easier to understand for those of us in the back of the class. Over all 9/10, would play one.

16 minutes ago, Eandyil said:

I dunno, glancing between the old and the new it looks more like... I dunno, it says a lot of the same thing, just easier to understand for those of us in the back of the class. Over all 9/10, would play one.

Literally 90% of this is just clarifications for the current lore and things that are already implemented. The only 100% wholly new abilities are Hallowed Ground, Soulfire Brazier, and Psychopomps. Everything else has just been clarified or received minor tweaks.

59 minutes ago, LordCommander said:

As someone who is starting to get involved with the Ascended, I find the lore and RP aspect of them extremely interesting. There is a vast number of dark and neutral options given, so the good-aligned nature of the Ascended without being boy scouts in tights. The Ascended seem to be an Iconic and unique part of the Lord of the Craft setting, so they deserve to get the same amount of attention as other magics.

Honestly, the main issue I have with this document is how daunting it is to read. I recommend keeping the lore and clarifications but have a more mechanical section to it with basic fluff, the Red Lines, the Pros, and Cons. I believe this would make it easier for Ascended players to just pull up a page for their magic, or for staff members to check their skills to make sure their actions are legit. 

I have added a slide at the end giving a brief overview of red lines.

You should incorporate Daeva, also, the Shade cannot be absorbed past a certain point, nor removed by anything other than the Shade Gem and/or father past a certain point. (Tier 3/4)

Also, could you do me a favour and reveal any comparisons this re-write would have with pre-existing deific magic? (Prevalently Tahariaen/Xannic, we made an effort to differentiate all deific magics as best as we could.)

1 hour ago, Tsuyose said:

You should incorporate Daeva, also, the Shade cannot be absorbed past a certain point, nor removed by anything other than the Shade Gem and/or father past a certain point. (Tier 3/4)

The guide says after they pass tier 0, they can't really be purged, but fair enough.

Also, does this updated lore allow for random testing? Like for you to summon a smidgen of soulfire and apply it to various people to test if they're dark arts users. I feel that there should be a red line explicitly prohibiting this, given that this has generally been disallowed for other holy magics, given that its effectiveness against only evil things is meant as a combative mechanism rather than one geared toward exposing dark arts users.

1 hour ago, ski_king3 said:

The guide says after they pass tier 0, they can't really be purged, but fair enough.

Also, does this updated lore allow for random testing? Like for you to summon a smidgen of soulfire and apply it to various people to test if they're dark arts users. I feel that there should be a red line explicitly prohibiting this, given that this has generally been disallowed for other holy magics, given that its effectiveness against only evil things is meant as a combative mechanism rather than one geared toward exposing dark arts users.

Random holy fire tests are not a thing and nowhere in this lore does it state we'll be allowing it. Reasonable suspicion will always be required.

Also, as is precedent with the current lore, Ascended can absorb up to a tier 3 Shade. Tier 4 Shades will require a ritual within Hallowed Ground, Tier 5 shades are corrupted beyond the point of return and cannot be cured. All of this requires OOC consent.

(I'll add this to the lore when I'm home)

We have worked with Shade players as well as their loreholder (at the time) to come to this conclusion.

2 hours ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

Random holy fire tests are not a thing and nowhere in this lore does it state we'll be allowing it. Reasonable suspicion will always be required.

Also, as is precedent with the current lore, Ascended can absorb up to a tier 3 Shade. Tier 4 Shades will require a ritual within Hallowed Ground, Tier 5 shades are corrupted beyond the point of return and cannot be cured. All of this requires OOC consent.

(I'll add this to the lore when I'm home)

We have worked with Shade players as well as their loreholder (at the time) to come to this conclusion.

At present, the only people who can be tier 5 shades are Daevas or those who, at present, have succumbed to their shades (according to the present guide, @Thomas can probably confirm). It might make sense to rethink the tiering slightly for that reason.

8 minutes ago, ski_king3 said:

At present, the only people who can be tier 5 shades are Daevas or those who, at present, have succumbed to their shades (according to the present guide, @Thomas can probably confirm). It might make sense to rethink the tiering slightly for that reason.

Let's take it a step back then and say Ascended can cure a Shade directly when the Shade is tier 1-2, and it requires a ritual to cure a tier 3. Tier 4 and 5 will be incurable.

How does that sound?

This may help people understand the intentions of the rewrite.

Are the slides updated with any changes talked about in the comments? And what was the decision concerning frost witch magic and countering/blocking the soulfire?

Also, any information in the video above that isn't explicitly stated in the written lore won't be canon if this lore is accepted.

Just now, The Pink Lion said:

Are the slides updated with any changes talked about in the comments? And what was the decision concerning frost witch magic and countering/blocking the soulfire?

I'm waiting for confirmation regarding the shade absorption before I add anything regarding that.

Regarding the frost witch magic we'll go ahead and say that they can summon a wall of ice to block Soulfire, so long as they're not capable of nigh-instantaneously summoning a sheet of ice thick enough to deflect both Soulfire and physical weapons. Because that would be insane.

2 minutes ago, Master Sage Delaselva said:

I'm waiting for confirmation regarding the shade absorption before I add anything regarding that.

Regarding the frost witch magic we'll go ahead and say that they can summon a wall of ice to block Soulfire, so long as they're not capable of nigh-instantaneously summoning a sheet of ice thick enough to deflect both Soulfire and physical weapons. Because that would be insane.

So would they be able to use their magic to extinguish soulfire presently on them?