The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mitto

FM August Update Log

21 posts in this topic

New Management

New Team Director

edb4b5a587d3ed283748c598cf91ee20.png

Following the departure of Dreek for the academic year, the role of Director was again up for grabs. This time the succession was a far longer one, however eventually the role was finally landed on me. Now, I could go into detail on why this was a terrible idea but I’ll leave it up to this.

((Shoutout to @Rat Hat for this))

My Mission Statement/Direction for the FM Team in the future

Here I will be releasing a snippet of my view on the forums and the direction it’ll be taken, this is of course open for scrutinization. Feel free to ask what did he mean by this at any time.

Spoiler

With regards to your team, what do you believe the community is struggling with?

I believe the community struggle to understand what is acceptable behavior on the forums. This I believe is due to a year old rift between how certain behaviors are moderated on the server versus how they are on the forums.

This does not translate well, I believe a lot of players do not understand how they should behave, and FM teams in the past have favored punishment over teaching. In this way there has been a lot of aggression towards FMs in the past.

I believe by enforcing rules harshly and favoring fair censorship it inherently makes players more convicted in their bad behavior rather giving them a platform to be taught better behavior.

With regards to your team, what do you believe the community is struggling with?

I believe the community struggle to understand what is acceptable behavior on the forums. This I believe is due to a year old rift between how certain behaviors are moderated on the server versus how they are on the forums.

This does not translate well, I believe a lot of players do not understand how they should behave, and FM teams in the past have favored punishment over teaching. In this way there has been a lot of aggression towards FMs in the past.

I believe by enforcing rules harshly and favoring fair censorship it inherently makes players more convicted in their bad behavior rather giving them a platform to be taught better behavior.

What is the role of a director?

First and foremost I'd like to clearly express what the role of a director is not. I've known a few leads in my time that thought the word was dictator.

It's not the director's duty to think for his team, nor is it to make decisions strictly on behalf of his team. I director directs his team, but he doesn't take sole charge of it. The team reserve a right to their opinions, and attempts to force or favor people of a certain thinking are very unfair.

The director should reenact the combined opinions of his team, to take them into communication and not exclusively make decisions based their opinions but to take them heavily into consideration when they make decisions.

I believe the director should not automate their team, but teach them. I believe it's ineffective to think for someone, to tell them to do this when this happens. But teach them to use their initiative, for the same solution won't always yield the best results in the long run.

Moderation can never be a black and white process, there's so many variable, parameters, personalities. It's invaluable to pass on knowledge to new moderators so that they can independently assess a situation and direct them to a solution should they need it.

A director is a torchbearer for their team, he speaks with them and plots the direction they will go in. He will take some damage along the way. However, rm communication with managers and then further onto the team adds a highlight on teaching and understanding the values of the FM team so even if an FM works independently they understand what is expected of them.

What direction would your team most benefit from?

I believe I mainly answered this in previous questions, so I'll keep this brief and not echo myself. I believe striving between teaching moderators rather than automating them rest of all is a major aspect to relaying their values to the community to mend the moderation rift between the server and the forums. This is done by taking away an emphasis on harsh censorship but communication and initiative.

New FM Managers

6e137a3c279a923d9833e5211c20eb8d.pngaa53301774b9cb4f10897bcfe2a4a9b9.png

Filling in for the promotion of myself to Director and Kowaman stepping down from manager to focus on development, two new managers have been chosen: Paleo and Rukio13.

I wouldn’t like to talk on their behalf nor did I think far enough into the future to realize I probably should’ve got a statement from them, but now I’m writing this it’s too late therefore they’ll likely talk about themselves in the replies. Whatever who reads this far in anyway.

New Forum Moderators

It doesn’t matter who many times you say who cares I’m gonna put it in anyway.

567fed96a90c8cbd4d6c868f4dd00edf.pnge041bd996824171e3a6202410bb1e6f1.png6129610eb2d011d0422a4b68c9843c26.pngbfa34b6313657eb04ea59f092b0d9fac.png8d038dc6b1fb002e3cfd4711615e6358.png

Clubs

Hello there denizens of Lord of the Craft!

Paleo here, to have a word or two about clubs. It was decided by the FM management that I was to be in charge of handling Clubs on LoTC. As you have all noticed, applications have been put in place and the system that we have envisioned for this recently added feature are slowly rolling out. The Current plan is to develop upon the application (Which will make them slightly harder) and to develop upon the Exemption system. Expect changes within the next week or so.

So, instantly when I was appointed Club Director, I decided to recruit some of the FMs into a sub-branch that we are referring to as the Club Moderators. They will be the ones that are going to be looking over your applications and they can be hit up to create your very own club.

That will be all for now! In case you have questions about or troubles with the Clubs on the LOTC Forums, hit me up!

Plans for the Future

Roleplay Rules Revamp

Following a lot of justified complaints of the current roleplay post rules we’re going to be doing some very justified changes. This is mainly and issue with ‘anonymous posts.’ This rule initially meant well, however it’s come to just hold back good roleplay posts and is easily bypassable for someone to meme on a meaningless character.

A lot of rules will go from being strictly black and white rights and wrongs. We want Forum Moderation to be more intuitive. For posts to be judged on a contextual basis. This won't mean the life of a post will be dictated by a FM that doesn’t like you, we also want to move away from a censorship mindset as outlined in my mission statement. Overall we want to see a rise in the quality of posts on the forums rather than a crackdown on players who just forgot to put a name to a good post.

Communication > Censorship

The FM team collaboratively came to the conclusion that the Forums as a platform are way stricter than the server. This  is how it’s been for many years, however this strictness is a completely artificial self fulfilling prophecy in the succession of FM leads. In reality the forums don’t have to be as strict as they have been, it’s only through the succession of leads have they inherited the idea that the forums should be moderated 10 times harsher than anything done in game.

This may be a direct result of my past and maybe in some people's opinion my current behaviour as an avid shitposter. However I believe from the majority of opinion expressed from the team that we want to focus more on letting people speak their mind, abrasive or not they have their opinions. Now, this isn’t a flag to start posting things like derogatory terms towards other players, it’s leniency towards being able to express your opinion without fear of repercussion.

We as an FM team want to encourage communication over censorship, as the latter has never worked. It only makes people more angry. Now, things will always be hidden, that’s not because it was a post that was a player saying something to stick it to the man. Most of the time content gets hidden because it’s just downright crude and adds nothing, sorry lads the forums are never gonna be your minecraft /pol/.

Came here for the ad.  I'm ready for my job back

That picture though...

21 minutes ago, Dewlox™ said:

That picture though...

They should make these posters for all the staff teams...

Just now, NotEvilAtAll said:

They should make these posters for all the staff teams...

Completely agreed!

Brilliant.

2 hours ago, mitto said:

Communication > Censorship

Gotta say that I'm impressed. This is definitely the way that the fm team should be led and it is unfortunate that is took soo long for someone with the correct mindset for healing the forums to take this position.

my little mitto is all grown up -sniffle- good job. you're the first competent FM lead in a while :)

Was hoping I'd find that thumbnail picture somewhere in here. Disappointed. 

I appealed my warning points, its been up for 5 days no one checked it yet :/