Honest Ramblings at 6 Years on LotC 6 Years of Fimlin

Fimlin

It feels both very recently and very long ago that I joined the Lord of the Craft and made my first and only character Fimlin Grandaxe. 6 Years ago today, March 27th 2013 I made my account on the LotC forums and applied to the server. I got hooked on the dwarves because of the dwarf vs orc battle videos back in Asuloun. I loved the way that dwarves played, with their attitude in battle and the ominous and mysterious enemies faced from the deep.

vohGCKF.png

I ended up joining the server and the dwarves in Anthos around the time of our one and only “meanking”’s reign. We dwarves were damn well organized and really had our administration together back then, and it was certainly a privilege to be part of that. There was a lot that I loved about the dwarves back then, the Legion was certainly my favorite though. We had plenty of fun being both very serious and also extremely silly and goofy. It wasn’t what I signed up for but man I am grateful for that time and being part of the dwarves in Anthos. All the time spent stressing and persisting in raids, battles, invasions where we knew very well we were absolutely screwed and seeing it pay off tied me to the dwarves for good.

And I’ve stayed with the dwarves since, I’ve never played another character for any serious length of time, I tried to a few times, but I just can’t abandon the dwarves.

I’ve had both the curse and privilege to see the dwarves evolve over the past 6 years. There were many times when we’ve made mistakes, screwed up and faced the consequences, or didn’t. It was not easy trying to keep the dwarven ship floating, but I wouldn’t have wanted to do anything else. Sticking with something for this long, there's bound to be periods of ups and downs and I’ve learned that very well, and also that it’s worth sticking through it.

OUaGe5I.pngkNEcVFg.pngmVPPuh1.pngoZCkQte.pngd0Zvftb.pngUSfMxoP.png

In the dwarves I’ve held plenty of positions in the government, and I’ve also lead the Grandaxe Clan on/off for about 5 of the 6 years I’ve played LotC.

When it comes to the Grandaxes, I had the unique ability to take a well-established clan with old history and make it my own for years. It was never easy to keep the Grandaxes alive. There have been countless of times I’ve dragged this clan out of the dirt after it died out and went inactive. It was never perfect, I never achieved my true visions for the Clan. And that doesn’t even matter.

Persistence, and learning from mistakes are two of the most important things I’ve learned more about from my time playing Fimlin. Complacency is how things wither away.

When I hit 4.5 years of LotC, I was ready to hang it up and I did. I’d grown complacent and started to let go without any real goals being accomplished. Around that time, the Grandaxes split up and died. And the Dwarves shattered and Urguan fell.

Losing the two things I cared about on LotC reminded me why I cared about them in the first place. I saw my place in the chaos that ensued the fall and did what I could to build the dwarves back up again. Since then, we’ve come a long way. The Grandaxes are alive and doing well, and the dwarves have a future to look forward to.

I’ll admit there wasn’t a whole lot of enjoyment through the process, rebuilding the dwarves is as confusing as it is complicated and laborious. Everytime I wanted to give up my efforts and just let the dwarves go and just hope for the best I just reminded myself why I started. Now I’m nearly at the end of my intended tenure leading the dwarves from the position of King / Nation Leader and I am glad to have not half-assed it nor become complacent. There’s still much work to be done in the dwarves, but I’ve not come this far for it to mean nothing.

zT6BZqG.png

Having only joined in November I’ll admit I’m a rather recent addition to the community, but I’ve only ever had good conversations with you, and you seem like a real standup gent, a proper lad, a friend person. Thank you for helping the community I’ve already grown so attached to become what it is.

youll always be a beardling to me

Edited by ryno2

I respect you man, you’ve done a great job, no denying that. I know I’ve caused my share of trouble, but I’ve got nothing against you man. 

Carry on fellow dwed.