Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Korvic

The Lag and Plans For Future

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Boruto said:

 

 It made sense for a smith with hard upbringing to face greater difficulties settling in the craft than another that was entirely funded. It’s supply and demand. Why should the two be met with the same obstacles when one is needed to provide for a nation and the other’s not?

The grinding aside, nexus in concept could’ve paved the road for a lot of RP — and whether or not people like you took that into their advantage is beside the point, it provided the potential, and I’d take that over this broken bandits’ heaven anytime.

 

I’m not asking for nexus, it’s long gone and I couldn’t care less at this point.

 

There were just as many bandits under the professions plugin as there are now. But at least now the bandits don’t have +50% damage sharpness swords that 2-shot you in full armor because the bandits have a Legendary High Master Blacksmith and you’re just some schmuck. Professions plugins always result in these weird command economies where most of the guild feeds resources to a single high-level grinder in exchange for a steady supply of gear. 

 

It’s pretty obvious that we shouldn’t attempt to apply real life logic to a system where you can craft thousands of buckets to become an Aengulic Blacksmith and use that bucket experience to forge swords that slice through steel. A professions plugin without an economy where every player is useful makes the game broken and unfun for 90% of players.

Edited by howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, argonian said:

Yeah so instead of having local blacksmiths like you said, instead you just have these few huge grinders who supply/sell to everyone while the majority of players are utterly useless. Fantastic. Messaging darksalvo on Skype to make me and the boys some sets of armour because none of us can do it ourselves is truly the pinnacle of RP. 

 

And how exactly is this bandits’ heaven? Back in the days of Nexus PVP gear, a couple well armed bandits(or even just shittily armed bandits on horseback) could take out the entire town guard and win fights massively outnumbered. Now the playing field is levelled so that people who don’t spend all day gathering loot still have a chance – but that’s bandits’ heaven somehow???

 

The actual execution of nexus was terrible in many ways, I don’t disagree with that – and it was the community’s revolving self-interest and protagonism that drove it to such. The idea however that with minimal resources and individual effort, you could make 20 sets of iron armour all by yourself, is broken in this implementation. One thing nexus pvp got right was the cost of heavy armour and its mechanical deterrents.

You still get seething retards in full iron armour outrunning naked citizenry, so it’s not that far off.

 

8 minutes ago, howard said:

 

 

 see the above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Boruto said:

 

The actual execution of nexus was terrible in many ways, I don’t disagree with that – and it was the community’s revolving self-interest and protagonism that drove it to such. The idea however that with minimal resources and individual effort, you could make 20 sets of iron armour all by yourself, is broken in this implementation. One thing nexus pvp got right was the cost of heavy armour and its mechanical deterrents.

You still get seething retards in full iron armour outrunning naked citizenry, so it’s not that far off.

 

At least naked citizenry can cheaply obtain iron and fight back?
 

I’m alright with a professions plugin that simply makes it harder to get gear. Iron armor was easy to get with nexus, provided you were in some sort of PvP group that made you armor for free. A professions plugin that lets people with too much free time and a resistance to DVT make better gear than everyone else is sort of **** by definition.

 

I’d like the actual professions plugin to have a relatively low cap for how good you can actually make ****. A blacksmith who’s been training for 50 years knows very intimately how to make a sword that doesn’t break when you swing it at something. He doesn’t make swords that tear through the fabric of reality.

 

A cool system would allow master artisans to work on “feats”: side-grades for weapons that give them neat special abilities, like a sword breaker on a sword that lets you disarm an opponent but lets you get disarmed, or a repeating crossbow that fires multiple low velocity bolts instead of a single high velocity bolt. Stuff that would encourage people to develop their professions that doesn’t make legendary gear better than masterful gear, if that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, argonian said:

nobody bothers with the local blacksmith or baker in these trying times because anyone can be their own master of all trades, and without any practical deterrents at that. Nexus had its flaws, but ngl, it brings back some of my fondest memories in this server. It kept things on a leash.

i know me and a few others still do professions on the server, i still blacksmith, fletch, brew and jewelcraft and people do come to me to see things are done and I do my best to make it as interactive an experience as possible. I don’t think you really get that with nexus and I much prefer people roleplaying professions instead of doing low effort “muh warrior” or jack of all trades mary sue’s characters, and that is enabled by a mmo-like profession system. It is just silly to me. 

I respect ur opinion though im giving my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

i know me and a few others still do professions on the server, i still blacksmith, fletch, brew and jewelcraft and people do come to me to see things are done and I do my best to make it as interactive an experience as possible. I don’t think you really get that with nexus and I much prefer people roleplaying professions instead of doing low effort “muh warrior” or jack of all trades mary sue’s characters, and that is enabled by a mmo-like profession system. It is just silly to me. 

I respect ur opinion though im giving my two cents.

wtf 

 

i never said any of that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, argonian said:

wtf 

 

i never said any of that 

thats from Boruto’s post i dont know how it quoted you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, howard said:

 

At least naked citizenry can cheaply obtain iron and fight back?
 

I’m alright with a professions plugin that simply makes it harder to get gear. Iron armor was easy to get with nexus, provided you were in some sort of PvP group that made you armor for free. A professions plugin that lets people with too much free time and a resistance to DVT make better gear than everyone else is sort of **** by definition.

 

I’d like the actual professions plugin to have a relatively low cap for how good you can actually make ****. A blacksmith who’s been training for 50 years knows very intimately how to make a sword that doesn’t break when you swing it at something. He doesn’t make swords that tear through the fabric of reality.

 

A cool system would allow master artisans to work on “feats”: side-grades for weapons that give them neat special abilities, like a sword breaker on a sword that lets you disarm an opponent but lets you get disarmed, or a repeating crossbow that fires multiple low velocity bolts instead of a single high velocity bolt. Stuff that would encourage people to develop their professions that doesn’t make legendary gear better than masterful gear, if that makes sense.

 

It's kind of gratifying to see we weren't too far off during our last brainstorming session about professions. Pvp advantages were a full stop deal breaker for me at the time. Too bad none of the discussion we put into this will ever see the light of day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

change iron armour recipe to iron blocks + introducing shitty imbetween iron set (chain?) thoughts?

 

create at least some supply + demand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Corporatocracy said:

change iron armour recipe to iron blocks + introducing shitty imbetween iron set (chain?) thoughts?

 

create at least some supply + demand

Only after the supply of iron is given a finite cap instead of being determined by how much time people feel like mining for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...