Charter Reform: Opening Steps

VonAulus

I think charters sgouldn’t be solely given out because of activity. It should also be taken into account, how the build quality is, as well how much new roleplay a charter could provide. So I believe a Kha settelemnt should have it easier to get a first charter then another 10000 human or elven one – simply because they provide new RP. Also, please have the people design their stuff first and have it checked so we don’t get even more stuff build without love....

But good work in general, world team!

I mean I get this. Makes sense but like... Warclaims still exist, right? Shouldn’t it be a joint priority with some of the World Team and Moderation Team or are we living in a warclaim-less society where people are constantly raiding each other in a war that won’t end because of staff?

Bring back tile purchasing and give the power to self regulate back to the players. Let nation leaders dole out and reclaim land and settlements. Force groups who need land to actually roleplay with nations again, let there be diplomacy and contracts again. Groups should have accountability both OOCly to the nation, and ICly in roleplay. 

7 hours ago, Laonathan said:

I think charters sgouldn’t be solely given out because of activity. It should also be taken into account, how the build quality is, as well how much new roleplay a charter could provide. So I believe a Kha settelemnt should have it easier to get a first charter then another 10000 human or elven one – simply because they provide new RP. Also, please have the people design their stuff first and have it checked so we don’t get even more stuff build without love....

But good work in general, world team!

no, pretty castles are nice and all but if those pretty castles are dead then its pointless. lotc is a rp server not a build expo.

2 hours ago, ShannonLeigh said:

Bring back tile purchasing and give the power to self regulate back to the players. Let nation leaders dole out and reclaim land and settlements. Force groups who need land to actually roleplay with nations again, let there be diplomacy and contracts again. Groups should have accountability both OOCly to the nation, and ICly in roleplay. 

This would only work if the current nations actually had merit and weren’t just the groups that happened to get tiles at the start of the map. Right now, I cannot imagine forcing players to deal with the sorts of sleepers and OOC petty tyrants in charge of the current Arcas political climate. We should focus on getting nation capitals active before we start selling off more tiles to fill with meme baronies.

Just implement freebuild and cut out all this unnecessary nonsense. Let players build where they want and they’ll naturally gravitate towards where the roleplay is.

34 minutes ago, howard said:

This would only work if the current nations actually had merit and weren’t just the groups that happened to get tiles at the start of the map. Right now, I cannot imagine forcing players to deal with the sorts of sleepers and OOC petty tyrants in charge of the current Arcas political climate. We should focus on getting nation capitals active before we start selling off more tiles to fill with meme baronies.

Just implement freebuild and cut out all this unnecessary nonsense. Let players build where they want and they’ll naturally gravitate towards where the roleplay is.

I somewhat agree with this idea, but to allow freebuild completely would ruined the maps and its natural beauty. Instead a select few should make an application to be allow to freebuild, but I believe something like that is already in place. But if not, those who has experience and skills in building will be the one who should freebuild, not everyone here is skilled at it.

3 minutes ago, OlivierWaffle said:

I somewhat agree with this idea, but to allow freebuild completely would ruined the maps and its natural beauty. Instead a select few should make an application to be allow to freebuild, but I believe something like that is already in place. But if not, those who has experience and skills in building will be the one who should freebuild, not everyone here is skilled at it.

You can keep parts of the map that are particularly beautiful or useful for events region-protected. But ultimately, the entire map can’t be a perfect dollhouse. People should build and RP where they want, and that means not everything can be beautiful. Our freebuild maps still had really nice cities, and there have been beautiful freebuild settlements.  

1 hour ago, howard said:

Freebuild allows the same “race to the bottom” that charters have. Any conflict or desire for ego expansion becomes a new settlement – and then roleplay suffers as we’ve seen.

39 minutes ago, ARCHITECUS said:

Freebuild allows the same “race to the bottom” that charters have. Any conflict or desire for ego expansion becomes a new settlement – and then roleplay suffers as we’ve seen.

Our current nations are chock full of inactive settlements and splinter groups. This is a consequence of the staff’s incessant demand for “activity” over roleplay, not of the charter system specifically. Nations are run as pyramid schemes where land and titles are exchanged for activity, and every player expects their own fiefdom. Roleplay suffers, as players expect importance and ego expansion without effort. 

Keep the amount of available land small, and those new settlements become conflicts of their own. There’s obviously no magic bullet for activity – if you want charters to work you need rigorous activity checks, if you want freebuild to work you need a well-designed map. Only one of these options (freebuild) has significantly less upkeep for the GMs/World Team. 

Freebuild rules can be modified so that players can reclaim or demolish unused structures, ensuring that land is not wasted. The buildable area can be kept small, and close to spawn. Nations can receive exclusive access to WorldGuard and raid rule protections, making their territory safer than the freebuild area. None of this requires players idle in activity cubes or contend with the tyranny of sleepy nation leaders.

1 hour ago, howard said:

Our current nations are chock full of inactive settlements and splinter groups. This is a consequence of the staff’s incessant demand for “activity” over roleplay, not of the charter system specifically. Nations are run as pyramid schemes where land and titles are exchanged for activity, and every player expects their own fiefdom. Roleplay suffers, as players expect importance and ego expansion without effort. 

Keep the amount of available land small, and those new settlements become conflicts of their own. There’s obviously no magic bullet for activity – if you want charters to work you need rigorous activity checks, if you want freebuild to work you need a well-designed map. Only one of these options (freebuild) has significantly less upkeep for the GMs/World Team. 

Freebuild rules can be modified so that players can reclaim or demolish unused structures, ensuring that land is not wasted. The buildable area can be kept small, and close to spawn. Nations can receive exclusive access to WorldGuard and raid rule protections, making their territory safer than the freebuild area. None of this requires players idle in activity cubes or contend with the tyranny of sleepy nation leaders.

Freebuild requires a lot more work because of the constant activity check signs and constant disputes over the 50 block rule. Part of why this is happening is put out in the post, it is a very large amount of work to keep up with all these settlements. I have had five charters in the last day with between 0% activity and 0.05% activity ask for Charter Expansions. It is way too much work for the current volunteers to keep up with and adding more people to the team is definitely not the solution. We are wasting way too much time managing the land due to the poor map design of this map which creates an imbalance in the value of certain land. The truth is about 95% of Charters fail and the 5% that succeed do not justify the hours and hours of effort players put into the build and resources to be set up for failure by the system created to give them an outlet. LOTC is not a Towny server at the end of the day, it is a Roleplay server, and the Charter system is anti-roleplay as it decentralizes and bastardizes player interaction. The fact you point out the fiefdom expectations in a nation but call for a freebuild system baffles me. Quite the mental gymnastic there. 

58 minutes ago, VonAulus said:

Freebuild requires a lot more work because of the constant activity check signs and constant disputes over the 50 block rule. Part of why this is happening is put out in the post, it is a very large amount of work to keep up with all these settlements. I have had five charters in the last day with between 0% activity and 0.05% activity ask for Charter Expansions. It is way too much work for the current volunteers to keep up with and adding more people to the team is definitely not the solution. We are wasting way too much time managing the land due to the poor map design of this map which creates an imbalance in the value of certain land. The truth is about 95% of Charters fail and the 5% that succeed do not justify the hours and hours of effort players put into the build and resources to be set up for failure by the system created to give them an outlet. LOTC is not a Towny server at the end of the day, it is a Roleplay server, and the Charter system is anti-roleplay as it decentralizes and bastardizes player interaction. The fact you point out the fiefdom expectations in a nation but call for a freebuild system baffles me. Quite the mental gymnastic there. 

The 50 block rule was a heinous and unnecessary rule grafted onto the server by Fireheart. There was no reason for it to ever exist. Players in freebuild should not have any expectation of protection or land ownership, the freebuild should be free. The point is to allow players to build the world organically, to make it easier to find roleplay outside the cloud temple. 

You don’t need to put up “constant activity check signs,” either. Let players request activity checks on settlements they’d like to reclaim and build over. Make an incentive for players to police activity and to reuse land.

I agree with you on charters. But not everyone likes roleplaying in Helena or Sutica and most other nations are extremely sleepy. I defy you to tell me, with a straight face, that we could give land exclusively to the current nations and expect an active 8.0.

Not sure how it’s “mental gymnastics” when I told you why nations are this way, the expectation of activity + rally numbers, and then suggest a system where there are no activity requirements and complete freedom for players to associate.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, Pureimp10 said:

hopefully this means i’ll be able to buy tiles and determine who gets land within my nation’s borders!

I think very much that this is the precursor to that – and hopefully the end of forced city-states!