Admin Fireside Chats

Telanir

IQjHl1AmfI6ZdWkSqIuRRBUvpSyJDU2djKDYI9aR

Hey,

Recently, after some introspection, we have decided to try and uproot one of the most old traditions of admin opaqueness. A majority of admin discussion occurs in a channel called the #admin-den, a channel which (for the most part) players never see. We have known that such an opaque structure feels cold and distant (with any human element entirely absent)—but despite it clearly not working, we’ve never known how to solve it.

We want to try something new and somewhat radical, which would be effectively taking admin discussions from these insulated channels into a more public and transparent medium.

We’re going to create an open subforum called Admin Fireside Chats, a forum that players can browse at their leisure to understand admin viewpoints on important topics. Only administrators post in this subforum—however, we would like to readily pull and quote player feedback to bring that into the discussion.

We know that these discussions will naturally be a bit filtered. There’s obviously a lot of pressure with an entire community reading your every word when it piques their interest. However, it’s a much more human and interactive approach than keeping everything in an insulated channel. Insulated channels are one of our most common pitfalls across all time periods of LotC in this last decade.

Essentially, when an important topic is brought to an administrator, we will head to this forum to make a thread detailing our thoughts on the matter. These posts are optional for you to read (and mainly speculative on our part), but they are also a window into the thought process and formula behind enacting changes. They are also interactive—for example, if we see a barrage of status updates then we might consider making a Your View thread as well and then use player replies as source material.

We want to maintain openness as much as possible in these threads, so I should disclaim that each admin word is not gospel but rather our personal contributions to a discussion that is greater than ourselves. Sometimes we’ll be throwing darts and seeing what sticks and sometimes we’ll be impassioned and illogical—but we can’t sit and pretend like that isn’t already a risk.

As a disclaimer, for obvious reasons there are some topics which won't be discussed here, such as bans and reports, but other than sensitive things like these, nothing is off the table.

In the best scenario, this change could help the community get a genuine first row seat into the admin workshop and will help the administration feel and understand the community’s wishes. We’re hoping we can really make a difference here, even if we start somewhat shaky and uncertain we think down the line this will feel more natural, and hopefully, we could put an end to a long era of inadequate communication.

Grool took the initiative to open up our first Fireside Chat on Staff Applications, and if you’re interested you can view it here.

Sounds good Telanir, thanks for the effort. Perhaps a fireside discord channel could be introduced as well!

I do feel like improved communication between admins is more warranted. As it is now there seem to be arguments and dumb politics between admins. 

Edited by Mark2282

Pretty cool I guess I just hope it amounts to something

Good suggestion, keeps the players up to date on topics currently going on in LOTC. 

Not only that, if a project or update is postponed we can actually see why instead of being kept in the dark. 

Ya’ll gotta lighten up, Mystery abused pex, whether it was for the better or not.

On that note, stay on topic pl0x. 

Wont you just make another admin chat to discuss things you dont want us to see?

I wish I could have a fireside chat with Telanir ?

It’s a start; it’s also only happening because you need to cover your own bum, and so that you can get back to a position of strength. It doesn’t mean your off the hook. Keep taking things in stride from here on out and you’ll dodge a lot more bullets that way; nobody likes arrogance as evident by how effective that google doc was.

Edited by rising

Sounds impossible. I doubt you guys are going to bring everything that is discussed in Admin den to light, but instead, within a week to a month a new chat “Admin den den” or something will be made so admins can discuss in private certain topics, this is what everyone does everywhere in every setting and there’s no such thing as absolute transparency, this is an illusion