[✗] Magic Lore (Feat) - Tempus

Trigamar

This magic is a waste of time, a waste of space, and a mar on my reputation. I hate it, I’m ashamed of it, and I’m ashamed of myself. If someone with the capability to do so wanders across this terrible, terrible post, I’d appreciate it being instantly denied, to save you the trouble, and me the pain. Of course, that might just not be how you roll, and I’m fine with suffering through this, or simply having you delete it. I have no idea how to delete posts, sorry.

- Trigamar

Discount Evocation

~(~(~( Tempus )~)~)~

By Trigamar

Spoiler

-Origin-

-Origin of Hiems Tempus-

Long ago, there lived a captain, who sailed the seas with his son. The captain was a talented Water Evocator, capable of bringing massive waves down upon his foes. His mana was beyond compare, as was his skill with working with water. However, his son, no mater how hard he tried, was unable to conjure the smallest droplet of water from the void, he couldn’t even manage to connect to it. The son always felt as if he was living his life a shadow of his father, and spent many long nights staring out across the waves, desperately trying to be anything like his father. And yet, he had no luck.

One clear, sunny day,  the captain was sailing into port, as he usually did, with his son, when out of the blue, a balista bolt came crashing onto the deck. The captain’s head whipped around, trying to see which ship the bolt had come from, when he noticed that it had come from the guard tower over looking the port. He swore, grabbing his son, shoving him into a life boat, and casting him away to sea. His son watched, as he floated, bobbing gently in the waves, as his father’s ship, his home, burned. He watched as the guards of the city came, forming a ring around the burning ship, killing any who dared survive the flames. Their mages hurtling spells at those who tried to swim away. But not the captain’s son, he was too far out to sea. Too far out to help. Too far out to be hit. The captain’s son sobbed.

Many years passed, since that fateful day, ad the captain’s son still lacked any skill with Evocation. He had spent every day since that one trying to surpass his father, and in many was, he had. He was a wealthy merchant, with a small fleet of trading ships, but the one thing, the one thing that the captain’s son could never conquer, was Evocation. He was depressed, sad, lonely. And in this trying time, he began to dance. Not waltz, nor a jig, but a dance with the tides. Back and forth, push and pull, so he moved with them. He gave up on his attempts to master them, to summon them from the void, and instead worked alongside them. He learned much from the tides, and used what they had taught him. A deadly dance, was what he made with this knowledge, a style of combat, assisted by the ocean itself. He called it, ‘Hiems Tempus’, and with it, he conquered the seas.

-Origin of Ver Tempus-

On the streets of a rich port town, a warning bell alerted a guard from where his was kicking a thief. This thief had been caught stealing fruit form one of the many trading stalls in the city, but a warning bell was more important than a small theft. The guard rushed off to the docks, ill-fitting armor clanking on his stocky body as he made his way to the docks.

“The Tempus, a vile smuggler’s ship has been spotted entering the harbor! Arm the ballistae!”  The Chief of the Guard force yelled, “Sink that ship!”

And so, the guard did as he was told- winding up the ballista from up in the guard tower, he angled it directly at the only child on the vessel, a small boy, seemingly talking to a frail man. He chuckled darkly, right before a fist ran into his jaw. He only had time to see a flash of a young woman, wearing heavy jewelry and a scowl across her face, before everything went dark

When he awoke,  the first thing he noticed, was that he wasn’t as high in the air anymore. The second thing he noticed, was that the city was burning around him. Shoving rubble off his chest, the guard drew himself to his feet, coughing. He took a step, and almost collapsed. He took another, that one was a little better. He took one step at a time, constantly telling himself that he was strong, that he was sturdy. He walked away from his old life, one step at a time, and began a new one.

Years later, the former guard was humming to himself. He did that often, as it was very quiet, in the isolated mountains and forests he now called his home. He had made a peach within himself, a peace with the earth. It had been hard, in the earlier years, still clinging to who he used to be. But he had survived. He was sturdy, and strong, like a mountain. He too, had made a dance, but this one much different from the deadly dance of the captain’s son. This dance was one of survival, rebirth, and stability, assisted by the earth itself. He called it, ‘Ver Tempus’, and with it, he became a better man.

-Origin of Aestas Tempus-

A noble sat on a cushion, resting. From far away, she could hear shouts, a loud bell. Chuckling grimly to herself, the noble leapt out of her estate, hopping on her horse, and riding off into the port city that she lived in. Shouts of a ship called ‘The Tempus’ rang out through the city, but that was not the noble’s concern. She saw an armed man, kicking a poor child on the street, and then running off. Snarling, she galloped off after him.

The noble pulled back on her reins, halting the horse at the base of a large tower that she had seen the man run into. Leaping off of the horses back, the noble burst through the door, sending splinters flying. Groaning as she saw the long spiral staircase winding up into the tower, the noble leapt into action. She bounded up the steps, taking them two at a time, tripping over a few. Bruised, the noble skidded to a halt at the top of the tower, just in time to see the armed man winding back a ballista. She whirled furiously, jewelry clattering, sending a fist into the man’s jaw. He spun, falling away from the ballista, it’s trajectory falling off course. The noble ran. She ran, taking her fortune with her, seeking out better lands, as her old city burned. She was robbed, assulted, injured, attacked, but she kept fighting. Fighting every turn of misfortune that came her way. As a child, she had always liked fire, and out of the ferocity of fire, she created a style of combat that aided her in her journey. She called it ‘Aestas Tempus’, and with it, she survived.

-Origin of Autumnus Tempus-

The child grabbed an apple from a merchant’s stall, not waiting to hear the cries of ‘theif’, simply running towards the alley where she and her little brother lived. Right as she was at the entrance, she was knocked down. The child, whimpering, looked up to see a rotund man, wearing ill-fitting armor, glaring down at her. His glare slowly morphed into a sick, twisted grin, and the apple fell from her hands and rolled away, forgotten. The man drew back his foot and slammed it into her side, his iron tipped boot producing a crunching sound as it broke a few of her ribs. The child gasped, sobbing, as he drew his foot back again. And again. And again. But then, a loud bell started ringing. The man looked up, swearing as he ran off. A few seconds later, an angry looking lady on a horse galloped by. The child slowly stood, her battered and bruised body trembling as she picked up the apple and took a shuddering step into the alley, before she collapsed, and everything went dark.

When she awoke, everything was awful. Burning buildings were everywhere, smoke filled the air, accompanied by the smell of burning flesh. She got up, and staggered away. She staggered, she tumbled, and she ran. She kept on running. She never stopped running. And out of her running, her desire to escape, she created a way of fighting that revolved around escape. She called it ‘Autumnus Tempus’, and with it, she ran.

-Magic Explanation-

Tempus is a style of fighting that comes from the study of the basic elements, Air, Water, Earth, and Fire. One might think of it as a weaker version of Evocation, and to an extent, it is. However, Tempus does not provide the opportunity of control, such as an Evocator has, it forces it’s caster to work alongside the element, and is less powerful. Through utilizing one of the four variants of Tempus, it is possible for one to increase their physical ability, but only in a select area, weakening it in others. By studying one of the variants of Tempus, a mage gains such an understanding of the element, that they are able to make their mana flow in a way that resembles their element of study. This requires one to be taught how to utilize and connect with their mana.

Heims’ attribute is fluidity, they are less likely to hit themselves with a weapon that has that possibility, such as a flail, or whip, however this ability grows weaker during the day.

Ver’s attribute is toughness, a Ver Tempus user has tougher skin than normal.

Aestas’s attribute is strength, a Aestas Tempus user can carry more than normal, however this ability grows weaker at night.

Autumnus’s attribute is agility, a Autumnus Tempus user can move faster than normal.

As with most magics, when using the ability of a Tempus, the eyes of a user glow with the color of their aura.

This magic is a waste of time, a waste of space, and it reflects badly on me.

Due to the buffs that the Tempus provide, Tempus users tend to certain types of armor, weapons and clothing.

Heims Tempus users prefer flowing cloths, with scarves or cloths, and little to no armor, allowing for flowing movements. Their weapons generally consist of whips or flails.

Ver Tempus users often wear light armor, such as a guard might wear, and their clothing is often sturdy, like themselves. Their weapons generally consist of one-handed blades paired with shields.

Aestas Tempus users use heavy armor, and wear heavy jewelry. Their weapons generally consist of two-handed weapons, such as War-hammers, War-axes, and Great-swords.

Autumnus Tempus users use light, tight-fitting clothing, so that they may be as mobile as possible. Their weapons generally consist of daggers, very short swords, or other small, light weapons.

This is not a requirement, merely habits that Tempus users tend towards, as it suits their element.

Creatures who cannot connect to the void lack the ability to become a user of Tempus.

Magics or Creatures which have the ability to stop Voidal magics from being used can deactivate a Tempus user’s connection.

-Abilities-

Connection – Combative/Non-Combative

Spoiler

RP

By focusing, a user of Tempus can connect with their element, gaining a buff to the attribute that that element supports, and weakening in the others.

OOC

Taking ONE (1) emote to focus, a player gains a buff in the attribute that relates to their element. The specifics of what attributes each element relates to is covered in the previous section. Mechanically, Autumnus Tempus users may move two blocks more than their base, Aestas Tempus users can carry 10 more pounds at day, 5 at night, Ver Tempus users’ skin has about the same toughness as leather added on to however tough it was before, and Heims Tempus users have the ability to move fluidly, thus when using a weapon such as a flail, there is no chance that it will hit them without outside provocation. Of course, the have RP bonuses as well, such as Autumnus Tempus users moving faster, Aestas Tempus users being stronger, Ver Tempus users being sturdier, and Heims Tempus users being more graceful.

Redlines- This is not an extreme buff. A user of Autumnus Tempus will not be able to leap over mountains. The amount of boost it provides is constant, so an armor-wearing human isn’t going to be of equal speed to a Wood Elf in the forest, nor will an Aestas Tempus using halfling be able to swing a mighty Warhammer the size of an orc. Ver Tempus users are not sword proof, and Heims Tempus users can sill be hurt by their own flails, just not without their enemy interfering.

-Redlines-

1. Tempus cannot be used to Evoke the elements, nor control them in any fashion.

2. A Tempus in one element cannot use the ability of another Tempus.

3. Once a Tempus users learns how to connect to the Void, they become unable to use Tempus, and can never learn Tempus again.

4. This is not a gateway to learning how to become an Evocator without struggle. Once Tempus has been learned, it becomes several times more difficult to connect to the Void. The amount of time spent trying to connect to the Void equates to  how long it would have taken the student to learn how the element functions.

5. None of the weapons/clothing listed are required to learn/use Tempus, it is merely a trend among users, as those items mesh well with their Tempus.

6. Beings who lack the ability to connect to the Void cannot use Tempus.

7. Magics or Creatures who have the ability to prevent Voidal magic from being casted can also prevent Tempus users from conecting with their element.

8. As Tempus merely offers physical boosts, it cannot be used to harm Phantoms that would otherwise not be affected by physical attacks.

9.The boost that Tempus offers is not extreme, merely a slight one. None of these abilities are invincible, and they do weaken the other attributes of the user.

10. The boost provided is a constant value, added to the base strength of the user. A halfling isn’t going to be able to swing around a War-hammer the size of an Oolog by using Aestas Tempus.

((More to be added?))

-Purpose-

((OOC))

I have removed the first reason, as now that I look back on it, I feel really, really stupid. Hope you all only think I’m half the idiot I am, have a good one!

The second reason is much nicer-sounding than the first, less of a pity-party, but I still decided to put is second. I truly believe, that in a good fantasy world, magic should be incorporated into everyday lives. Be that self-lighting kettles, or brooms that sweep the floor on their own, to swords that create a slash of flame. This is what I’ m doing to integrate magic into the everyday lives of RPers, like Culimancy and Domesticated magic.

The final reason is probably the least expected one- This is basically a test. Sure, I put sweat and tears into this, but this is the first Magic that I’ve written and submitted to be reviewed, I have little idea what I’m doing. I highly doubt that this will be accepted, however much I’d like it to be. I’m using this as a learning experience, so if you have any constructive criticism, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!

Spoiler

Citations

I  don’t think I used anything directly, though I did information gather from the topic on connecting to the void, and I think I referenced the Evocations a few times. If I’m yelled at in the comments, I’ll go fetch the exact Topics/Writers.

Edited by Trigamar
Edit 1(2?) - I am most certainly an idiot. I have repaired the issue on connecting to the void without a voidal-connection-place, dunno how I pulled that outta my ass.

chi is able to be got by anyone, you just have to find us irply
voidal magic is lame
kani is nearly impossible to get without metagaming or being part of someones clique, so good luck on that part
dark magic same as kani except you just have to throw your hat in randomly to some dark mage and say you wanna be like them

39 minutes ago, Zacho said:

chi is able to be got by anyone, you just have to find us irply
voidal magic is lame
kani is nearly impossible to get without metagaming or being part of someones clique, so good luck on that part
dark magic same as kani except you just have to throw your hat in randomly to some dark mage and say you wanna be like them

That’s handy, I’ll look more into this Chi business, thanks!

2 hours ago, Ug said:

Magic is overrated

It may be, but I’d like to experience everything this server has to offer.

Edited by Trigamar

Magic is in a really weird place. People don’t like being asked OOCly, but at the same time, a lot of magical groups and cliques are rather OOCly based. Ultimately, however, magic isn’t all there is to gain from the server and there are other, much more interesting things to do. As someone who’s played a few mages, I can safely say that you’re not missing out on a ton, especially with Void Magic, which is rather bland and boring. Just my two cents.

I’ve played over seven years (jesus) on this server and never once have used magic. From what I’ve seen, magic always seems interesting and cool from afar but once you get it its kinda lame and not very useful with all the powergaming and pvp default. You’ll have alot more fun doing nearly anything else on here.

4 hours ago, yopplwasupxxx said:

I’ve played over seven years (jesus) on this server and never once have used magic. From what I’ve seen, magic always seems interesting and cool from afar but once you get it its kinda lame and not very useful with all the powergaming and pvp default. You’ll have alot more fun doing nearly anything else on here.

i play my char as arrogant braggart showoff so like using evocation magic for cute artsy roleplay and prosaic emotes... its an excuse to show off how to write goodly outside of people powagaming combat to explode ur head 1 emote. 

On 7/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, Sorcerio said:

Magic is in a really weird place. People don’t like being asked OOCly, but at the same time, a lot of magical groups and cliques are rather OOCly based. Ultimately, however, magic isn’t all there is to gain from the server and there are other, much more interesting things to do. As someone who’s played a few mages, I can safely say that you’re not missing out on a ton, especially with Void Magic, which is rather bland and boring. Just my two cents.

You are most likely right. I’ve done my best to move past this mental state of mine, with the comments telling me that magic is overrated, but it’s hard to change a mindset you’ve had for two years. Not a lot, for most of you, but it does feel like a long time to me. With the help of these coments, I think I’ve better understood that magic isn’t supposed to define a character, and that I was probably trying harder than I should’ve been to learn. So I guess I’m just going to stop. Stop trying to learn. Maybe, sometime around October, I might give it another go, but from the bottom of my heart, thank you.  For the comments that have nudged me in the right direction, and for not treating me like the total idiot that I am.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.