Discussion — Void Magic Fatigue and Connection

Sorcerio

Which system of Void Magic fatigue and connection do you prefer?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which system of Void Magic fatigue and connection do you prefer?

• Sour_Doh's Void-Weakness Piece
    • Toxcat's Voidal Connection Piece
    • Other

31CYzYNrWGxaEA-LnlgINJBBJ0_HxhIUggdZLiE3msP1pzdZuhejnqVcY23R7in3K-xZzXxDBNI4f78QguS1hmBZCoEp0EOyUqMHZbx2iPYABf3MQPCLSZXD-HMti-CfaHGQCm2G

fS0QKrmiSWbztoENNOSAnaQ7GG4IFIHy-SRyJ_GzJ10Z1qAsGgLJD67Ci4E7YbrhLWP0PBWP15US7aKhMkX45VUILY8yKZT1YNI2FSTs_2Tz2yo1bBCLcpVuYJCD-yPNKibJTS-d

Good day my fellow minecraft gamers!

As you already know, the ST are currently working on multiple projects ranging from self-teaching to Almaris, the list of which you can find on Squak’s Post here regarding the conclusion of the Lore Games. Today, however, I am hoping to receive some feedback regarding one of these projects—namely that of the Void Project, which seeks to make some amendments to Void magic, as well as add several additions to further invest players in its use. 

This project is by no means a small undertaking considering how imbedded Arcane Magic has been within the server’s history and the magical community as a whole, so we on the ST are doing our best to ensure that the end-result is one that both successfully expands upon Void Magic’s current foundation, and satisfies the playerbase. In light of this necessity, I come to you, the playerbase, in hopes of receiving feedback on one of the largest amendments that would be made to Void Magic as it currently stands—that being the redefinition and clarification of Voidal Connections and its physical effects. Various ST and players alike have all put forth attempts to clarify this crucial aspect of Void Magic interaction, many of which have been successful in defining it for that particular time. However, as time goes on, we must eventually revisit these in hopes of clarifying and amending points which may have been left vague or scrutinized in its duration. 

Traditionally, the use of Void Magic has taken a great toll upon mages, rendering them weak and unable to don heavy armaments or blades, nor receive blows without severing their connection. The connection piece prior to the currently accepted one was written by Sour_Doh, and touches upon various bases pertaining to a mage’s reaction, their reception to injury, equipment, wielding weapons, etc. and is generally what most would accept as balanced detriments to mages as commonly seen in RPGs or other games and media. 

In its most recent iteration, written by Toxcat, Void Connection is less conservative than that of Sour_Doh’s, though still maintaining some sense of debilitation in comparison to non-magi, merely not as severe. In this piece, a mage’s casting may still be disrupted, however, more leniency lies within their ability to equip armor and wield weapons when they are not casting, permitting them to switch between the two so long as the transition is not done in combat, and not to the degree of prowess as those who have studied in a physical field of combat. 

As both pieces are rather extensive, I will not list out specifics for each as they are both lengthy writes, though you are free to read to judge one, both, or none as you please. Should you have a preferred system, I ask that you vote it above and give some reasoning in a comment as to grant the ST better incite as to the views of players regarding this. 

If neither of the systems appeals to you, I’d also urge you to come up with some suggestions of your own that would allow a fresh and balanced take on how fatigue and connection might operate. Both mages and non-mages are offered the chance to vote and speak their mind, as ultimately any changes should seek to satisfy both ends of the spectrum. Make sure to keep discussion civil and provide meaningful feedback! 

Hope you all have a splendid day!

- Sorcerio

2 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

Should you have any suggestions please use this thread to discuss your ideas. The goal of the voidal project is to wrap up anything missed in it’s last iteration, and getting it right.

Expect our beginning-pieces to be released by the end of the week.

Of the two I like Toxcats the best, though that is entirely based on the lore itself, I have not actually rped with voidal magics yet.

Edit.
After role-playing with voidal magics, I am starting to lean towards this lore a bit more. I do not know if this is the fix to voidal magic lore's issues, yet it might be a step in the right direction.

Edited by Sri

Should you have any suggestions please use this thread to discuss your ideas. The goal of the voidal project is to wrap up anything missed in it’s last iteration, and getting it right.

Expect our beginning-pieces to be released by the end of the week.

Tox’s effects are fine and reasonable. They create the same desire to prevent heavily-armoured Mages, whilst not also making them a wet noodle.

Phil’s by a long shot. Mages should not be clad in full plate. The point of the Void prior to lore games reforms was that it was a more dark-leaning corruptive force even though Magi wouldn’t necessarily employ it or see it as such. By going with Tox’s Weakness lore, there has been a huge inconsistency in the lore which makes zero sense. I literally don’t care if it’s just for balancing, you’re creating a contradictory line that deems iron to disrupt casting and neutering Voidal Magic of it’s already minimally present theme of really not being good for you. It’s corruptive. It’s suppose to be corruptive. You’re tapping into a metaphysical outer presence transcendent to mortal understanding, it’s not gonna leave you unscathed.

That being said, I think Phil’s lore should be reimplemented and adjusted. State that Voidal Mages cannot swing weapons while CASTING to shave off the old days of spellsword abuse (unless specifically stated otherwise in lore) and give Magi the ability to wear amounts of plate armor, such as half plate, chain mail, etc. It’s very box-buildy to retcon it into draining stamina when the entire point was that the Void granted you power based on the depletion of your physical form. Don’t make Mages starving children, but don’t make them capable of wearing gear on par with a seasoned warrior.

Edited by CaesarTheFirst

2 minutes ago, CaesarTheFirst said:

Phil’s by a long shot. Mages should not be clad in full plate. The point of the Void prior to lore games reforms was that it was a more dark-leaning corruptive force even though Magi wouldn’t necessarily employ it or see it as such. By going with Tox’s Weakness lore, there has been a huge inconsistency in the new criteria regarding iron disrupting casting which makes zero sense, I don’t care if it’s just balancing.

That being said, I think Phil’s lore should be reimplemented and adjusted. State that Voidal Mages cannot swing weapons while CASTING to shave off the old days of spellsword abuse (unless specifically stated otherwise in lore) and give Magi the ability to wear amounts of plate armor, such as half plate, chain mail, etc. It’s very box-buildy to retcon it into draining stamina when the entire point was that the Void granted you power based on the depletion of your physical form.

My argument is this: Your username is literally “MinmaxedMage”.
Though to be fair, Min-maxing is a natural part of the human psyche.

If were going to go into battle, were not going to pick and choose what we want.. We will attempt to fill a niche to the best we can so as to gain a competitive advantage over others.

dont care didn’t ask I don’t use the void I beckon gnostic horrors with my brass holy bell into sorcerio’s flesh

chad phil-write enjoyers will know his lore is the best, compared to that petty redditor ethan!

The void is the eternal and singular enemy, and all upcoming lore should acknowledge it as such; the contrary of existence, the glass gift of nothing. 

Coming from a person who plays a fire evocation mage, I honestly feel that Tox’s rules make more sense over all, now this may be bias, as its the only system Ive used since i gained my MA, but that is my opinion. on the other hand, I do think that mages should be limited in their armour choices as well as weaponry, but as said before, I think that Tox’s rules would be easier to grasp in a pinch, as the post has clear descriptions of how many emotes it may take, etc. it may also benefit players who just got into voidal magics, as it is simpler in my mind. 

3 minutes ago, Jentos said:

dont care didn’t ask I don’t use the void I beckon gnostic horrors with my brass holy bell into sorcerio’s flesh

chad phil-write enjoyers will know his lore is the best, compared to that petty redditor ethan!

The void is the eternal and singular enemy, and all upcoming lore should acknowledge it as such; the contrary of existence, the glass gift of nothing. 

Based

10 minutes ago, Norgeth said:

Coming from a person who plays a fire evocation mage, I honestly feel that Tox’s rules make more sense over all

It doesn’t though.

The reasoning behind Tox’s lore literally states that casting is interrupted because Mana interacts poorly with iron when we literally have the ability to enchant Magical effects into swords of the same material. It goes against the pre-established underlying truth that Voidal Magic is corruptive in a sense and that it’s Mages really aren’t good for the world.

Edited by CaesarTheFirst

10 minutes ago, SriFoo said:

My argument is this: Your username is literally “MinmaxedMage”.
Though to be fair, Min-maxing is a natural part of the human psyche.

If were going to go into battle, were not going to pick and choose what we want.. We will attempt to fill a niche to the best we can so as to gain a competitive advantage over others.

Ah yes, a meme username obviously constitutes ones actual behavior, what an enlightening observation.

Jokes aside, Phil’s system was superior, while tox’s write isn’t horrendous, there are a number of odd and generally inconsistent implications that plague it, and in regards to theme, phil’s provides a more consistent, and intriguing position, the mechanics of tox’s voidal corruption is far too minor in relation to what the void actually is. 

if we simply remove the void and replace it with a better neutral lotc baseline magic system, we would not be in this situation