Sign in to follow this  
venclair

A BRIEF HELENIAN ENTOMOLOGY, 1791

A BRIEF HELENIAN

ENTOMOLOGY

RESEARCHED BY VICTORIA C. KAPHRO

SCRIBED BY PETER MAXIMILLIAN

Among the many curiosities of the world, I had always found bugs oddly interesting. The wild is quite astonishing, and the creatures within the forests outside of our city are a fascinating delight. Insects, in particular, are the most diverse group. When I was younger, I would observe the most beautiful ladybirds in the palace gardens, and they would come in different colors. Even your own garden could be considered a whole safari, and you could find various types of critters within it.

With my fascination, my father and I, with a group of our own, set off into the forests just outside of the city. I’ve decided to make a paper to present my research on the insects I’ve captured with the help of my father.

Caeruleum Beetle

ZzwNd1OM8JEuwAmJYQ-r-cLCJdxC_hp6mngfD8zoWlueR9y_XyulGYi4_YjRpvH5atfMlejUs8Gxt3HyR4_u2ITLzsl2k5FTYJNwrEngQZFgT2mpJhIVLDqPTB8iaMWVCkzgFZIl

A Caeruleum Beetle is a type of leaf beetle, meaning they are found on and near their particular food plants, among the leaves, stems, flowers, or roots they eat. Their diet consists of plants, and are quite common around gardens. The Caeruleum Beetle has a shimmering azure exoskeleton, bearing an oval body with a clubbed antenna. While this beetle may be considered pests due to feeding on leaves and such, their most unique trait is their glimmering jewel-like color.

Size: 6 mm

Color: Black with a metallic blue

Prettiness: 8/10 Looks like a jewel!

Spectral Firefly 

2WhskPrcChQ66i3k95YQWhO8LAkZ557VmyBbGkGxS4gjS3sDY_oR3xGMgZIqmFoQy-CvRmwRMeSQAZp9OueT1hVmr73Gcjn-D7RCny5x-mszueq9HglZ79uk9PCgBwP8RGSEi4Tn

A Spectral Firefly is essentially a soft-bodied beetle. Its appearance could be interpreted as a blue ghost through the blue light it emits. Unlike usual fireflies, the luminescence it bears is characterized by a steady glow, instead of a species-specific pattern of flashes. These critters primarily feed off of nectar, or sugar water in place of natural nectar. This species in particular synchronizes their flashings among other fireflies.

Size: 6.7 mm

Color: Brown, but emits a blue light

Prettiness:10/10 Very ethereal looking at night

Stick Bug

fSlxIDyzsJ80orq-yFAofB0_vBW4M606tm1N189F-mekRWcPnVeQkZZhNj5HIhO8B2rdFtAmDiiVdytVz6guLhE_JFhlsarZA-zPnLx_Ord7U2r6o5IzW8ztMhvn4qkLf20sv5Ny

A Stick Bug’s natural camouflage makes them difficult for predators to detect; though the insect still has a form of startle displays, such as spines or toxic secretions, for a secondary line of defence. The bug has a cylindrical stick-like shape, bearing no wings, its body resembling vegetation, with bark-like tubercles. They seem to be able to manage a nocturnal lifestyle, being able to perceive through dim conditions.

Size: 11 in.

Color: Brown, bark-like

Prettiness: 3/10 Just looks like a thin stick

Honey Bee

X-7IrOrEPX27HBXr7Z3jt9H5C3E8Rn0yMHbEywDfKwaFzPzGpg_DtqfZqNSfAVksQwwhw9hnGm11SIQBNxHvWf9hrri7sliq1YyX8o46Yiutim5WioKXlaPkd2ga5sJ2TpDctju3

A Honey Bee are known for their construction of colonial nests from wax, and their production and storage of honey. The creature is equipped with two wings, two antennae, and three segmented body parts: the head, thorax, and abdomen. They are social insects that live in colonies, their population consisting of a single queen, drones, and thousands of worker bees. Bees gather both pollen and nectar from flowers to feed on. One may notice that you must treat a bee with care to avoid being stung.

Size: 12.7 mm

Color: Golden yellow with brown bands

Prettiness: 5/10 Looks quite scary, but okay

Helenian Cicada

HCtsFf522Z0HMSKtVQnsIpu43kIGIyDWjlsBPVnbB0Qusa9Gkuw0cj7Rl-cx3wjhdpc9jTmvm0-arDEDaA_u96srB1h2N-cufEsabbOBIDcLBnwxXGev5XtXdamnzPJDIgB4m5hf

A Helenite Cicada, much like most cicadas, spend most of their time underground. When they emerge, they fill the air with shrill buzzing sounds above ground, which is the result of small drum-like plates on the abdomen that the cicada vibrates rapidly. This insect in particular does not bite or sting, and is quite gentle. Cicadas have prominent eyes set wide apart on the sides of the head, short antennae protruding between or in front of the eyes, and membranous front. wings. 

Size: 38.1 mm

Color: Black, with hints of brown and turquoise

Prettiness: 7/10 Cool wings!

Imperial Ladybug

fXCEvbxh-6pjEfBFJwRHsfYNceuB8dd8m4miZl9ciNDIh98ylghiiY3UACkuP_rWu8N6psiMIYzklqbCOAacA0Tay9ZWFwUjFRcg68pAE4CjUCojxBq0kBJD4QIlIKPMzQMz786X

An Imperial Ladybug is a type of beetle with a ruby-red tinge and is relatively harmless. Farmers benefit from these insects due to their diet consisting of insects that are harmful to crops. They lay eggs in batches on leaves, each larva attaching itself to a leaf or other object and becomes a pupa. As a pupa, it develops into an adult ladybug. Unlike the average ladybug, these within the city emanate a brighter hue.

Size: 10.16 mm

Color: Red and black

Prettiness: 9/10 Looks like tiny rubies

Widow Skimmer

DBrPO5eHSZ2Y3D1FemOL3t_IiqIwhFv5xPsl_Uw-ebgvlcOgRn23xUa8HVEeF4mY3EHG1pskgF2YT6HgNPYZKPE1Sp9wMAmv-QdqGcmwqVvT8coxa0-geslJzTJBJ15vbqDCEZtJ

Widow Skimmers oftentimes dwell near warm waters such as ponds, marsh, or small lakes. Both females and males have transparent wings, having similar thick bands on either side. However, males have a long abdomen that is light blue, whereas females are yellow and black. Their name comes from the fact that males leave the female by herself, essentially “widowing” her as she lays her eggs. They are predators that prey on other insects such as mosquitoes, their diet consisting of small insects.

Size: 46 mm

Color: White, black, blue, yellow, brown

Prettiness: 6/10 Male wings look cool!

Clouded Yellow

_oHS5NwDJBHaS0sFwwbTG4FlyG7qIGzKs28rSS5jg5t0IvXTr4fivj0TOgiK8qRecZgPO4wZ0pSxIHkP5_NeUjKB6g9keUXNKMAs6U9ZiiEa4H7iNkq34lZgL7iAZo9uTVvtCwx8

The Clouded Yellow is a medium-sized, golden-yellow butterfly. They arrive at any time during the spring and summer, and can be found in a variety of open habitats — particularly chalk grassland. They are identified with its bright yellowy-orange upperwing surfaces, lined with broad, dark edges, and a yellowy-green underside. One may notice they are not seen in the winter due to their inability to survive in cold temperatures.

Size: 58 mm

Color: Yellow with hints of light green

Prettiness: 9/10 Quite fluffy looking

KY1d3JcPfFEK3YkpyCCoWFBeAQnbH_noYkz0whDgcqAbLZz03xKpwVKcxnzyWywSIGcpxgZQL7Fno95SU3sBdgbW2DZHN8bDkduJe1oHGuzeXX5upWPByg4uWO3UaW0R8SVI8tbd

The likeness of the band of people during the trip by Victoria C. Kaphro, c. 1791

Peter gives her a head pat, proud of his daughter for doing all that work.

A thin figure reads over the contents, pausing on the final sketch “Familiar...”

Alexander d’Arkent would smile as he read over the short report, glad that there was such a bright future in the children of the Empire.

Safiye Stateira Basrid read over the work quite carefully, reading out the facts to Thea and Peter whom were both in her lap. Seeming to have a grand old time at the sketches. “Lovely work Teeny” the mother would comment before going to put everyone to bed!

Sergei Othaman would pat his Daughter Josie on the head

Ledicort would smile as he looked over the Entomology brief from his godchild, “I am glad to see that Victoria is a shining light for all to look to. May she continue to enlighten us with her findings.”

Vespira Angelica d’Emyth takes the missive in hand, eyeing the yellow butterfly “Look at the yellow” she shoves the parchment in her father’s face , smiling brightly 

@Radzig