AN APOLOGY TO HENRIETTA OF ÖSTERLAND

Proddy

To the esteemed Henrietta of Österland, @Dasdi

In times of inner conflict and strife is when God will test our perseverance and dignity the most. In my old life before my ordainment, I was many things - a liar, a cheat and a gambler who engaged in debauchery and carnal pleasure for my own delight. These trivial pursuits did nothing to fill the black hole that was my existence, and for a time I drowned in such. It was only when I had a moment of clarity one day did I open my heart to the Lord. And so I did realise that his mercy is eternal and extended to all of his children.

During my years as a missionary for the Canonist church, where I travelled vigorously throughout the realms of Aeldin, from the gaslit streets of Velling to the far edges of the oriental Cathant, I met and conversed with many women. Women who had sold their souls, their bodies, their virtue itself to men with twisted perversions and desires. Some did so to survive and put food upon their table, but some did so out of wanton lust and personal gain. It troubled me deeply, to see such intelligent and bright young women sell themselves as putas - it is something I reflect upon even to this day, and I spend some evenings in prayer for the salvation of their mortal souls.

And so when I look upon the aristocracy of the Orenian Empire, who practice such familiar tactics and egregious sin, I feel my heart tinge with worry and anger. For in them, I see the sins of myself, and I greatly fear what will become of their being when death comes to collect his toll, and they are damned for eternity to rot and burn in Hell with Iblees and his daemons.

I would like to issue you a public apology regarding the public nature of the missive in which I sent you. Such a missive was meant for a letter or a conversation behind closed doors, not to be aired to the masses like dirty laundry. I wrote to you not out of hatred in my heart or spite, but out of love, just as God loves and embraces all his flock and the most faithful. But where love can bind us, it can also make us blind. My desire to see your redemption brought cataracts to my eyes, and I acted and conducted myself in a way unbecoming of not only the mother church but as a representative of the Curia itself.

However, I would implore you with all my being to seek correction and forgiveness from the Lord for the sin you have committed. I am available to help you conduct such at whatever occasion you please if you so desire it, whether it be through confession or any other means. I will not judge you any longer, as through prayer and meditation I have realised that such is not my job but the duty of God himself. But God is merciful and forgiving, and I know whether you choose to confess your guilt or not he will judge you fairly.

VADE AD DEUM,

Carlos Clericus Hyspia, Pontificial Chamberlain

"Excellent." His Holiness Owyn III smiled, reading over the apology "Even our own are beholden to the standards of Faith, morality & justice. Father Carlos has not disappointed me in his pursuit of penance and reflection. A true Hyspian".

The Holy Mother prays for swift resolution and the fortification of intertwining love and devotion between all members of the Canonist flock.

A certain figure snorts before cackling out in humor, slapping her knee. "My GOD! It is like watching someone dig their own grave. Holy ****, this is horrible. The apology was further insulted disguised with kind words. Even your own kin had to spit on your prior missive. You already fucked your reputation no need to give false claims of a Princess ******* multiple men. You did enough of that for yourself metaphorically." She murmured to herself in private, head shaking profusely. 

Holy Sir Nicolas sighed as he read through the new public letter. He was so relieved to have seen it come across his desk and then, halfway through, it was clear that this was not at all what he had expected. He rubbed his eyes and set down the letter. Then, turning to a series of books on his shelf, he grabbed one and flipped through it, making certain that he had certain sections of the text clear in his mind. He closed the book and set it on his desk before rising and making his way to the door. He peered out of it and called down the hall towards his squire. "Can you please set up an appointment for me to meet with His Holiness at his convenience?"