[✓] [Misc Magic] Chi Rewrite

Kimika

<insert funny comment>
I'll be looking over feedback that gets posted so plese post thoughts.

Glad theres a new rewrite out, the formatting is really nice at a glance. I'll only comment on what I didn't work on; I really like the way the monk abilities pan out in difficulty and intensity, it makes a lot more sense than the original Sun + Moon Chi Manipulation system. Tier progression feels natural and earned, which is nice to see with this rewrite. Smaller criticisms I'll just DM, but overall its an improvement based on the previous rewrites I've seen and I'm lovin' it. +1

Monk approves over all!

Reserved uwu

Paladin wardens haven't existed for 8+ or so months(?) but kind of based Chi rewrite? Hopefully more people go way of the moon now . . .

Wish Hou'zi hadn't been abused for bandit/villainry/gone inactive thereafter. Would have been nice to see them stick around and be the main focus(er) on Chi. Oh well. 

+1

Just now, rukio said:

Paladin wardens haven't existed for 8+ or so months(?) but kind of based Chi rewrite? Hopefully more people go way of the moon now . . .

Wish Hou'zi hadn't been abused for bandit/villainry/gone inactive thereafter. Would have been nice to see them stick around and be the main focus(er) on Chi. Oh well. 

+1

Woops lmaooo, I was using the old chi lore for reference on compatibility and know nothing about paladins. Thank you, I'll edit it!

1 minute ago, Kimika said:

Woops lmaooo, I was using the old chi lore for reference on compatibility and know nothing about paladins. Thank you, I'll edit it!

All g, isn't a big thing lmao. Works out if any of the rewrites that include Wardens go through in the future, too! 

This is a pog moment

Besides all my loopholes being removed :<

Druidism Shapeshifting is soul altering as there's now an animal spirit existing with the soul itself and switches places when shifted. It was a path removed before along with soul trees. 

35 minutes ago, Delmodan said:

Druidism Shapeshifting is soul altering as there's now an animal spirit existing with the soul itself and switches places when shifted. It was a path removed before along with soul trees. 

Thank you! I rly should've updated the compatibility section before posting T-T

Really glad to see this rewrite go out! Been really wanting to get into Chi for a long time, and it seems a lot better set up here too. Direct, and everything seems fairly balanced at a glance. Would be really cool to integrate into my warrior monk rp 👍

Let Chi wither away and perish, the very concept itself is riddled with cultural aspects that hinder the niche's true potential. Something like Chi can exist, but it will never excel if it remains as 'chi', because that thing itself is just a cultural belief of the energy that exists within all.

Also, ritual of sanctuary was probably the coolest one and you removed it ):

It also doesn't make sense how it would be incompatible with pale blood magic, as such in essence is neutral, you would just want to restrict the ability to abuse other living things as a source of blood/genus. It would be hypocritical to say that using your own blood as a source of power is evil/dark (just because its ooga booga spooky blood), because chi users use their own chi as a source of power, they are one in the same. 

I am going to reinvent chi in a new lore piece, just a heads up.

Edited by Wizard of NOZ

6 hours ago, rukio said:

+1

I too miss the monkeys greatly😩

1 hour ago, Wizard of NOZ said:

-snip-

I don't agree with letting Chi die off, it definitely needed improving but the cultural aspects is what makes Chi an interesting niche and magic to learn. Sun/Moon Chi was initially made as a bonus to the cultural aspect of Huajiao and successor to old Chi, the focus was for Chi to be an existing tangible energy to support its cultural concept from Hou-Zi Huajiao. If we're going all the way back to the first few iterations of Chi, it didn't change that it was for an Eastern Asian monk RP niche and it still retains that even now. As an old Hou-Zi player I don't see how this rewrite hinders the magical concept or even the RP concept, sure Chi could be greater but there isn't any reason or necessity for it right now, other magics could easily fill in the gaps that Chi briefly touches on. It fulfills its original purpose and exists for the RP niche it covers. In its current state as a single slot, this rewrite works fine since the niche it revolves around is a relatively small population.