A LETTER TO KING SVEN OF VARHELM

Narthok

A LETTER TO KING SVEN OF VARHELM

To rule the Norlandic people is a thankless task. The moment the crown touches your brow you stand alone against the world, nought but the Father can be trusted to stand with you through the thick and the thin. Our people have long been persecuted, forever dwelling on the periphery, our service to forgotten crowns thankless, our faith despised by those who do not understand. This is the way of Kings. You travel the thankless path alone, the divine duty placed upon your shoulders. 

There are those who ask ‘why have kings at all’, and perhaps they will never understand. To be a king is not to deal in gold as the merchant does. To be a king is not to deal in iron as the soldier does. To be a king is not to deal with grain and cattle as the farmer does. To be a king is to deal in the currency of human lives. Day after day you will ask yourself, how many must I spend today? How many must be sacrificed that the greater body may live?

That the greater body may live. That is the purpose of Nordish Kingship. To deal in the harsh calculus of death, that the faithful may persist.

There is little love lost between myself and the Eirikssons. But Sven of Seahelm, for whom you are named paid this price. He held the line during the sacking of Seahelm, enabling our people to escape complete genocide. That the greater body may live. That the faithful may persist and grow.

This singular principle is the reason why we remain. Whatever happens, the body of faithful must remain. Our faith has stood the test of centuries. Whatever trials assailed us, we maintained our faith in the light.

The Father’s love does not come cheaply. History is littered with the torn and shattered bodies of my kinfolk. Edvard, his repentant tears frozen on his face as he perished atop the mountains of Avar, his shortcomings etched into his soul. Eirik, expiring broken and alone in the shadowy corner of some city. Sven, his homeland put to the torch. The corpses of his nation lining the streets. His body defiled and hung from the ash tree. What of modern heroes, what of the Nordish sons who have spilt their blood in defence of our people. Thorfinn Kursin, whose body I personally bore home. A hero of valour, rather than live a life of chains, a life of shame and defeat, he denied his enemy the sweetest fruits. Victory over the spirit. In this, he kept his faith, for he knew he would be welcomed into the Father’s Choir.

This is the entire purpose of the Kingdom. That the body of the faithful may be gathered and safeguarded from all who would harm them. For the descendants of Thoromir it is not a choice, it is not a virtue, it is a demand. The Ruric must protect the body of faithful. To preserve and maintain our faith in the Father’s light.

With this in mind, I request an audience to discuss matters of great importance

Theoderic

Dear Valued Writer, 

Thank you for your correspondence. Your request is very important to us and will be responded to in the order it was received. 

Father Guide Us,

The following would be stamped onto the parchment.
Sven Edvardsson

3 hours ago, Narthok said:

His body defiled and hung from the ash tree

Sven looks down from the Father realm in confusion "I died in Vjorhelm, torn in half by a drake, I lived through Seahelm, the dreadlands, the Krag, all the wars, it was pretty well documented..." he says, his death somehow being a strange point of contention.

11 hours ago, MasonMcBadbat said:

Spoiler

Ratcliffe, having been followig Theoderic around until Ratcliffe was unfortunately trapped in the Sutica meeting room would, eventually, once free, hear of Sven's response. He'd shake his head in disgust and disappointment. On parchment he would write to Theoderic, the only descendant of the man he had once so faithfully served as a Duke's Guard. 'No true Edvardsson would write a response like a wig wearing Orenian. A shame Godric's wife was unfaithful, it shows the further down the line you go. Or maybe he's just busy. Then again, probably not, maybe he's just too busy in hiding, haven't seen the man since he declared war anyways.' 

Spoiler

unknown.png

He then considers the possibility that the human bard, Sven, survived over three-hundred years before finishing his thought on the parchment. 'Perhaps Sven was turned into an undead after his hanging, like Tyr and Amice. A shame the religion of your people has been so corrupted. Reminds me of the knight I served under..' 

That relic of an 'Ame would shudder at the memories. Wars from Anthos and onward raged on his mind. Yet Ratcliffe shrugged it off after some time had passed. After all, over five hundred years of life had given him the tools to deal with what he had been through, to guard the linage he had last vowed to protect. That horrifically scarred soldier of no renown continued onward, ever at the flank of Theoderic as the Fatherist Keeper carried on.

22 hours ago, MasonMcBadbat said:

Dear Valued Writer, 

Thank you for your correspondence. Your request is very important to us and will be responded to in the order it was received. 

Father Guide Us,

The following would be stamped onto the parchment.
Sven Edvardsson

((Holy ****.))