15 Theses

High_On_Math

OOC: Guys i tried so darned hard to write up to 95 theses but my brain.exe stopped working at 22. I scrapped it and decided to keep it short with my 15 most relevant. I'm sorry bros.

[!] the missive was nailed to Karasograd's cathedral's door.

Luthriel invites any individual to debate her on the following theses in person or through letter:

1.  The first Pontiff, James, was named Pontiff because he was a "builder of bridges" between the quarrelling priests.  Anyone sewing division and propagating war amongst Cannonist peoples is cannot be the Pontiff.

2. No one can claim to speak or unspeak the will of Godan.  Even Godfrey, a prophet, could not.  The Pontiff is not meant to dictate the will of Godan, but to build and maintain peace amongst Cannonism (Gospel 7:13).

3. The idea that Godan only grants mercy to individuals through the Church of the Cannon is patently absurd. (Spirit 1:19): We find salvation in Godan's laws, not the Church.

4. (Spirit 3:17-18) Only Godan judges and punishes.  A mere man cannot take away Godan's mercy from anyone.

5. (Spirit  6:14) No one can stop Godan's mercy.

6. (Gospel 1:44-47) The first woman did not need the church to give God's mercy to her.  She wept and changed her ways, and ascended to the sixth sky.

7.  (Gospel 4:43-53) Owyn, Godan's prophet, enacted judgement on Harren's wickedness.  This was wrong.  Godan was merciful to Harren and accepted his change of heart, but Owyn did not.  It was not through Godan's prophet that Harren got mercy.  It was through his personal relationship with Godan that he found mercy, and through Godan's servant Owyn that he found judgement.  It thus is not through the Church that we receive Godan's mercy, but through Godan's merciful character.

8. (Gospel 4:54-58) Owyn asked Godan directly for mercy, and Godan showed mercy to him.

9. (Gospel 7:26-30) Godfrey asked Godan directly for mercy, and Godan was merciful to him.

10. Through some mystical process called ordination, it is claimed that an individual can be endowed with the ability to show Godan's mercy, to mark an unwilling infant as Cannonist through baptism, and to otherwise produce spiritual marks through their rituals of sacrament.  Only Godan grants individuals prophecy or power. Everything we have comes from Godan.  Mere humans cannot grant supernatural power to others.

11. (Spirit 7:8-10) To seek power akin to Godan's is a wretched sin.  No human is like Godan.  By what hubris does the Cannonist Church claim to be able to transmit Godan's mercy to individuals?  To produce a spiritual mark on someone or something is beyond what descendants are meant to do, and is akin to the sin of the magi.

12. Excommunication, a mere declaration of humans, is incapable of severing a repentant and Godan-fearing soul from Godan's unstoppable mercy.

13. (Spirit 7:11) To claim spiritual, supernatural power to withhold sacred spiritual marks and even Godan's mercy from any being is claiming supernatural abilities for one's own power, and not for the benefit of others.  This is the second part of the sin of the magi: to seek supernatural abilities not to bless others but to gain power.  And we see power being gained by military alliances and political maneuverings using excommunication as a justification.

14. (Virtue 1:7) The virtuous are to receive their guidance from Godan's word alone.

15.  (Spirit 3:12) No man is worthy before Godan.  As a result, we should not have more respect for "saints" than we respect our neighbors. Before Godan's perfection, all men are equally imperfect. (Spirit 7:7)

Father Klaus tore the missive down, reading it before realising he shouldn't have even touched such a heretical item. He quickly nailed it back on before walking off. "Jordan can deal with this."

Adelric would go over to take off the missive from it's pinned location, proclaiming loudly upon the street to whomever might have posted it -

"If you are this stalwart in your heretical beliefs, come and debate me, and see if we can find common ground. - I will be waiting in front of the Cathedral."

(ooc: we can rp this out! PM me if you are interested, my discord is Mad#2647)

"When ju wrote Godan instead of GOD, ju lost all credibility," Father Paco stated, believing true penance would only reach Providence when they realize they aren't streltsky raevs.

Would rub his chin, receiving the missive from Luthriel. He would curiously wonder the girls thoughts.