[✗] [Magic Addition] Magihand

SlitheryC1

Magihand [T3]: Combative/Non-Combative

General Description

A more qualitative-over-quantitative version of the Home Defense spell found in Housemagery, which can be used for both combative (like swinging an object at a foe) and non-combative purposes (like grabbing an object right out of your arms reach, you couch potato).
In contrast to sending a group of objects into a surge of panic, the Magihand is made to act like a third, disembodied hand for the user, allowing much greater control over whatever you decide to pick up with said hand than the Home Defense Spell.

Sadly the hand will, no matter how hard you try, you probably wont be able to multitask using the magi hand with other spells or maneuvers as it requires focus and concentration to operate (will require an emote from the caster each turn to use). Can't cure your thick skull.

So, wanna use the bootleg Force? Get readin.

Mechanics/Looks

Spoiler

The hand is invisible to those who cannot detect auras, but if it is holding an object said object may glow/glimmer faintly in the color of the caster's aura, specifically where the hand is holding the item.

Also, luckily (or sadly, depending on where you stand) doing huge feats will be pretty hard without enhancements or improvements to the hand. They can be applied directly to the Magihand, but said enhancements will vanish alongside it once they are dispelled, unless whatever was granting the Magihand the enhancement was the item it was holding (strength enhancing glove, maybe?).

Using the Magihand will require a full action in combat, replacing what would normally be an attack or defending move.

Magihands have a carrying/force capacity, and if it goes over it has to let go of the item.

On top of this, the weight of an object will increase the further away it gets from the house mage.

Lastly, summoning the Magihand requires a bit of mana and the need to focus, release, and shape said mana into the hand.

Tiers

Spoiler

T3

Your Magi Hand is unable to jab/harm things with sharp objects, much like the Home Defense spell, and can only at most cause bruising.

Using it for a small period of time will become tiring and may tire you somewhat quickly.

Your magi hand, at most, can withstand/carry something up to 15 pounds of weight/force before being unable to hold it.
Item weight doubles every 3 blocks (For example, an object being held by the hand 1-3 meters from the caster will feel like it is the same weight. An object from 4-6 will feel like the hand is holding two of the same object, 7-9 will feel like three, and so forth).

It takes 4 actions to summon the hand (focus, focus, release mana, shape), a large amount of mana, and 1 action to dispel the hand.

T4

The hand is still unable to attack things with sharp objects, but can now deal proper blunt damage.

You can use it for a good while before getting a headache.

The Magihand can now withstand/carry up to 20 pounds of weight/force before being forced to let go.

Item weight now doubles every 4 blocks (objects being held 1-4 meters from the caster will remain the same weight, 5-8 meters and the object's weight will feel like it has doubled, 9-12 and it will feel like it has tripled, etc).

It takes 3 actions to summon the hand (focus, release mana, shape), a moderate amount of mana, and 1 action to dispel the hand.

T5

Finally, you can use daggers and sharp things to ward off foes.

You will be able to use it and keep it around you without much issue, but it will still require you to use your main action each turn in combat despite your mastery.

It can now hold up to 25 pounds or endure 25 pounds of force before needing to let go of it's held item.

Item weight now doubles every 5 blocks. 1-5 meters from the caster would remain the same weight, 6-10 meters and the weight is doubled, 11-15 and the weight is tripled, yada yada you've heard me say this a lot.

It still takes 3 actions to summon the hand (focus, release mana, shape), 1 action to dispel the hand, but a small sum of mana to create.

Redlines

Spoiler
  • Enhancements can be applied directly to the hand, but said enhancements will vanish alongside the Magi hand once it is dispelled, unless whatever was granting the Magi hand the enhancement was physical.
  • Things become more physically difficult to do with the hand the further away it is from the caster (Described in Tiers)
  • While the hand can squeeze through gaps, it cannot phase through walls or sealed surfaces to grab onto things- the caster must be able to visually see the item.
  • While you can grab onto tangible objects, if it is too heavy you will not be able to pick it up. Trying to will probably break your back a little, so be careful.
  • If the object the Magihand is holding is hit hard enough to exceed the hand's strength, the hand will be forced to let go. Generally this can be a single, well placed blow, and is easier to do so depending on how heavy the object being held by the Magihand is.
  • The hand itself cannot attack a creature- it must use an item or be in a physical vessel (fancy word for glove) to do so.
  • Magi hands cannot interact with each other, excluding the items that they possess.
  • The object being grabbed must be able to be physically held by a person, excluding magical properties- this makes it impossible to grab object that are spiky all around.
  • You cannot cast another spell if the hand is up, as it must be dispelled first.
  • You may only have ONE Magihand out at a time. No carrying a dozen daggers to fling at people.

OOC Purpose/Notes

Spoiler

This is generally my take on how 'telekinesis' should be handled, and also feel free to make changes to it as you please.

This is probably the closest thing we'll get to another telekinesis, if it is accepted of course. I've always really liked the concept of using the force telekinesis in combat or for more utility based situations.

I'm also really sorry on how text heavy this whole thing is- telekinesis is pretty difficult to not make op without it becoming complete and utter doodoo, and I hope I hit that sweet spot people are looking for when it comes to usability and balance.

Please do let me know what you think in the comments below, suggestions and such are very useful!

Edited by SlitheryC1
words.

well, i think its good to see you're giving lore writing a try although being very new to the server. i also think that this submission is very well written and thought out

however, with all lore writing, if what you're writing attempts to serve a niche that has already been filled then it is likely it won't be accepted. what i mean is that housemagery already have spells capable of doing the things this piece has attempted to add to it, minus the combative use. which leads to my next qualm with this piece: housemagery is meant to be strictly non-combative. the only spell capable of really inflicting harm to others would be the home defense spell, and even that can only be used inside your home in self defense. you can't even harm the person that greatly, only light bruising and such until they leave the home.

if you do like the idea of having a combative telekinetic magic on the server i suggest you write a separate piece to housemagery entirely. because both housemagery and transfiguration are capable of non-combative telekinetic feats already, thus filling the niche you are attempting to fill.

Edited by Air

17 minutes ago, Air said:

snip

this pretty much hit the nail on the head

regardless, @SlitheryC1, I'm always proud to see new players giving their hand at lore writing. it's a tough beast to tackle even for some veteran players on the server. the team is always open to hearing your ideas and offering advice in the story discord :) best of luck with future endeavors. if you ever want to chat or ask questions, my DMs are always open

un-w#9099

Thank you, I'll keep those in mind @Air.
It's somewhat difficult to place this spell into any specific category of magic since with a couple small edits it can fit into quite a few other magics, so making it a feat is probably the way to go. thank you.

I probably will ask you a couple questions regarding where this spell may fit in best (if not this spell then maybe something else down the line), so thank you for the offer @ᴜɴᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢʟʏ

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.