Which Tense Do You Roleplay In?

The King Of The Moon

Which Tense Do You Roleplay In?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tense Do You Roleplay In?

• Past Tense
    • Present Tense
    • Other (replied to this thread)

Extremely tense, mostly. One might even say anxious.

i tend to switch since i just forget sometimes, but past tense just doesn't even make sense to me? we're roleplaying right now, it's not a forum post where things have happened, the roleplay is current, right in front of our faces. injecting -ed into emotes comes off as powergaming and injecting would before every verb just reads terribly. 

On 4/17/2023 at 2:35 PM, Traveller said:

i am different and above all of you

i use future tense

(not a joke)

darn, you stole my joke

Edited by SlitheryC1

Honestly, for me it can vary. If it's passive roleplay or slow moving like slice of life stuff, I'll often use past tense when things are boring. However if a lot of action is going on or RP is very fast paced, necessitating that I need to be on my toes, I'll usually use present tense.

So in short, for me it's passive = past tense and active = present tense.

16 hours ago, AndrewTech said:

Honestly, for me it can vary. If it's passive roleplay or slow moving like slice of life stuff, I'll often use past tense when things are boring. However if a lot of action is going on or RP is very fast paced, necessitating that I need to be on my toes, I'll usually use present tense.

So in short, for me it's passive = past tense and active = present tense.

I see a fellow who recognizes passive voice and active voice!

Chung Su GIF - Chung Su Lee GIFs

Banter aside, I think I usually default to past tense.

On 4/19/2023 at 3:36 AM, Nug said:

i tend to switch since i just forget sometimes, but past tense just doesn't even make sense to me? we're roleplaying right now, it's not a forum post where things have happened, the roleplay is current, right in front of our faces. injecting -ed into emotes comes off as powergaming and injecting would before every verb just reads terribly. 

This is why I stan you.

I'm kinda shocked past tense is winning. I've always assumed present tense is the default and it takes me out of the story a little bit when people rp in past tense. The whole deal is that the story is unfolding as we're playing it right now, so why would it be in past tense?

Also, it's easier to write balanced combat emotes that don't sound clunkily worded or powergamey in present tense imo

Edited by FlareGunCalamity