[✗] [Magic Lore] Druidic Communion & Control

RaiderBlue

another rewrite?

1 hour ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

snip

Sure thing I can go over your questions and concerns.

Chord Concerns:

As it sits currently chords are designed to a valuable but limited source of energy for druids to call upon should they be in need of a spell. I purposely made them in a scarcity to act as a drawback. To use them effectively you have to be smart as to when to attempt using them. I'll mull over increasing them but so far I haven't seen a strong enough argument for it.

Deep Stride:

The druids won't sink, it is simply meant to be wording describing they can move freely within the water. That being said on the brought up question of what occurs if they are knocked unconcious or something happens to the water. I've settled on the decision that the effect would simply go away like most forms of druidic casting unless they were using an infused item and be effect as if they were in the water without Deep Stride. Good for looking out I'll make some edits.

Singing:

You can achieve the perminance within an area by creating a infused item if you wish to continue after a single interaction. Which in my opinion is more realistic of a druids influence upon nature.

Shillelagh:

It's a type of club or staff. So It was given the same name as something that is used for the exact thing described.

Entangle & Bramble Wall:

Perhaps I did not state it clearly enough but Bramble Wall & Entangle function strickly as something that can be placed and then forgotten before they disappear naturally. Where in contrast surge requires constant casting to do what was suggested by you. In addition to this Surge must have a mechanical representation nearby, where Bramble Wall & Entangle can be preformed without a mechanical representation. Looking over it though I realize it should be specified where the acceptable areas maybe so I will be sure to do such.

Tree Stride:

While I agree with the concern posed for Tree Stride I set such a limit ability to mainly be a unique means of travel that allow druids to potentially sorround enemies or escape to an unknown location quickly if in a dense forest. To which I'm aware is large departure from the capabilities of what druids on LoTC have been able to do. Along with that it was mainly put in place to give it less of a scrutenized eye from the LT during review. That being said I'll see about perhaps extending it to 20 blocks to make up for the concern of just being able to use your movement.

24 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

another rewrite?

Indeed, I suggest reading over the purpose for some explanation.

The thought about Chords is valid, I think it's something to really consider when it's in practice to see how difficult it can or cannot be. Honestly most Druids shouldn't be using their gifts for combat, but as a support.

Deep Stride:
Another question, why only twice a day? NGL if the cap is raised I will RP a literal merman anytime I can because my boy loves water.

Singing:
You know that's a fair argument for the duration.

Shillelagh:
I honestly thought you were talking about the musical instrument, and realize I was mistaking it with a Ukulele after googling it. I have many things to reconsider in my life.

Entangle & Bramble Wall:
Yeh it's not fully clear, but again my curiosity is the idea it would need some form of seeds in order for it to function? But I will wait for an update yas~

Tree Stride:
Thank you~ I can see applicable times to use this, but only in like really dire moments when you're trapped/someone's trapped/ect and it happens to be in a forest.

Thank you for your clarifications~

14 minutes ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

Snip

Deep Stride:

To speak in truth I limited it like this to make it more dynamic for potential event scenario's or flavor trial rp. Where a druid only has two chances or they may be stuck deep underwater in some cave.

Entangle & Bramble Wall:

The Idea I had conjured in my mind was the spell was pulling together stray roots and granting them a sudden burst of energy before dissapating again. I can add seeds being used as a flavor form in casting though, don't see any harm in it.

So last thing with Entangle, as I've looked over it again, the idea surrounding this is less an active thing like Surge and more of a sprung trap. Such as knowing where the person is going to head towards, and instead of trying to stop them in the moment instead seek to stop/slow them should they try to flee. A preventative measure instead of an active attacking one that doesn't need to be constantly maintained. I could see that being used.

Last question:
Why is Luonto an active cast instead of a passive since it's 100% flavor Rp? Most people who Rp their Luonto appearing do a cast as it is, with their energies condensing and taking form till it appears.

9 minutes ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

Last question:
Why is Luonto an active cast instead of a passive since it's 100% flavor Rp? Most people who Rp their Luonto appearing do a cast as it is, with their energies condensing and taking form till it appears.

Luonto is something you activate and deactivate as a T5 druid. If it were passive, it'd be something that is a constant around you (like how passive connection worked with the current accepted edition of druidism). It is also a non-combative spell, meaning no chords would be used to exhaust the druid should they opt to have their luonto active at all times. I suppose it's like a light switch

Absolutely in love with this rewrite, especially DEEP STRIDE!!

Have always wondered how Druids are supposed to help and heal the oceans and deep lakes when they are oxygen-requiring mortals? Would love to see this take off, with some more ocean-themed spells in the future (perhaps future rewrites!) Maybe we could look into air-breathing enchantments useable only for ST eventlines underneath the ocean? So many possibilities!

Huge +1

Underwater druids convinced me of the absolute superiority of the lore.

mega +1
i'd eat it

WOO REWRITE and the new spells are cheeky let's goooo

I have a few observations I'd like to query:

Generally, I notice some spells have their emote counts split into their constituents (eg. [1 connect, 2 buildup, 1 release] in Twilight's Shroud), but others are more vague (eg. Singing and Greensight). This makes applying the T5 'skip connection' buff to Communion hard to understand. I'd recommend going through and making sure all the consituents are there for consistency and ease of reference - ESPECIALLY clarifying if the skip connection buff is valid or not.

Communion

You state it only becomes 'passive' at T5, which becomes the 'skip connection' effect - it might be worth describing how 'connecting' during the first 4 tiers works, like how the current lore does, to avoid too much confusion over what stuff is actually passive or not.

Might honestly be easier to bump Communion up to a 20 block radius so there's parity with #rp range, but note I didn't think about this suggestion very much balance-wise - just on an OOC easiness level.

Deep Stride

If this ability doesn't pass I will be Big Sad, let us make more RP underwaterrrr

"Should a druid be knocked out within the waters their veil that sorrounded their form would dissapate as they are no longer able to cast. Leaving them to be effected by the elements unless." ... Unless what?!

Singing

Just curious as to the reasoning for having two methods (for 12x12 and 15x15). Also curious as to the choice of moving away from current lore's radius range (circle) and specifying a square area instead - recognising that Communion here is still a 15-metre radius range, I'm not sure how Singing's max range translates. Is this a square which a druid can plonk down anywhere within their Communion range? Or should this range always be sourced from the druid since they're the locus of the spell, ie. a 15x15 area centred on the druid?

Greensight

I think the general wording's currently a little unclear for this spell with regards to what blind vs. seeing druids are capable of (the description of the effects themselves are all peachy and cool). I assume the first paragraph is written more from a blind druid's point of view? And then the second paragraph specifies how a seeing druid could access a limited version of the ability. The last paragraph also reads like something that should probably be the first paragraph (20 block range vision but only 15 block range on Communion doesn't match and should be fixed, same with Projection's line of sight).

Can Projection make use of multiple senses at the same time? If not, redline it.

Why are people being sent to an alchemy post instead of just listing the induced effects in the lorepiece itself, if you want to be that specific? Flash powder's effects also contradict the 3 emote stun - eg. if affected by flash powder you can still move about and attack, you're just blurry-eyed. I think you should curate the effects you're looking for and put them into the spell description itself.

Twilight's Shroud

Similar thing to Singing - is this 6x6 area centred on the druid, or can it be plonked anywhere in their Communion radius?

If interrupted during casting the spell, are the 4 Chords lost? (popular music in shambles) Does this apply similarly for any Chord-consuming abilities being interrupted? I think an answer of 'yes' falls in line with other magics.

Shillelagh

Just a mild curiosity - if Shillelagh is a form of minor infusion, why is it under Control instead of Nature Infusion?

"Sheleighleigh" heh

Gleaning

6x6 range for the 2-emote version is slightly unclear again - is that centred on the druid, or centred on the area being Gleaned? And just to check, the effects revert once the druid leaves the area?

Entangle/Bramble Wall

I saw the 'seeds as flavour' discussion above, I'd be careful with that in case people start carrying pockets around to places where they wouldn't usually be able to use the spell.

Entling Creation

How do you half three strikes to limbs in the case of azhl and thanhium axes? Round it up to two like the blunt force redline, or allow for a single strike chop? Similar thing for sword/spear+head, 5 emotes gets halved to 2 or 3?

Tree Stride

How does the 'ethereal' vision work? Should there be a redline against using that vision for metagaming?

Druidic Limbs

Magical flame mentioned! Does its increased potency apply to any other spells where fire damage is specified? Reversing the topic, does azhl and thanhium also destroy Druidic Limbs quicker?

Druidic Infusion

Power Sharing - this reminded me that kuila crystals will need a defined amount of Chords they can store as opposed to their current '4 free emotes'.

Cleansing - boutta start using these bad boys like torches ngl (will assume the Blight Healing rewrite will expand more on how exactly this works and what limits it has)

You started talking/redlining about whether non-druids could use certain infusions or not, but gave up 2 infusions in. That was a good idea, keep doing it!! (Oh you did it with Awakening too, nice)

"Druidic infusions cannot be combined with other forms of enchantments" - I assume that's housemagery and bardmancy out of the window too :(

Tier Progression

The tier 3 -> tier 4 jump is a little confusing. 8 weeks stuck on T3-T4, while only 4 weeks stuck on T4-T5? I get that it's probably to better time the now-available learning of Blight Healing, so this is only a minor thing until that rewrite comes out for perusal.

Also I'd imagine the abilities learned requirement is an 'in total' kind of thing rather than 'from the previous tier'?

ok that's my thoughts done for now c: